The last pair of binoculars

I would like to upgrade my binocs. I've read here about Leicas, Swaros, Zeiss, Vortex, etc. For a "non PH", which brands and price point would be recommended? Remember, this isn't the glass quality needed to determine to the inch the quality of trophy horns or antlers. With my current forty five year old Bushnells, I can tell the size and number of points on a bull elk at 200 yards. So, upgrade suggestions?

I would like to upgrade my binocs. I've read here about Leicas, Swaros, Zeiss, Vortex, etc. For a "non PH", which brands and price point would be recommended? Remember, this isn't the glass quality needed to determine to the inch the quality of trophy horns or antlers. With my current forty five year old Bushnells, I can tell the size and number of points on a bull elk at 200 yards. So, upgrade suggestions?
My only suggestion would be to stay away from the vortex. I’ve had two pair and they have both failed several times over. The glass is of very respectable quality but the housing isn’t. I had a pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x42 that were excellent for the money but I have them away as a present. As far as I know they are still going strong. I’m ready to upgrade yet again which was the point of this post. I’m ready to not have to shop for binos ever again if I can help it. I believe this is one of those things that you truly get what you pay for.

Hi Jake,

I've used all the major brands and can get the guide/outfitter discounts on them all. The best I have found are Swarovski EL 10x42. I have one with and one without the rangefinder. I also have the SLC model in the 15x56. As you now, the SLC are a little cheaper and heavier. I haven't owned a SLC 10x42 but some of my guides have those and love them. I think it comes down to personal preference, as you said but it is nice to watch an animal and tell my client the range as he shoots and still be able to watch the animal and range it at the same time. Once you get used to it, I bet you would prefer the ranging bino instead of a separate rangefinder.

I have had poor luck with Leica. I had two different pairs of 10x42 with rangefinder. After a while, the rangefinder would only work out to 400-500 yards, instead of over 1000 yards so I sent them in twice to get fixed. The eye focus adjustments would also slowly change to were I would run out of travel on the adjustment and would have to send them in to be re-centered. Weird. As for optical quality, they were great in the center but the edges of the sight picture were slightly blurred. My Swarovski are clear edge to edge.

Swarovski is also famous for quick and cheap repairs - mostly free. I bought the SLC 15x56 binos from a Mexican guy in Baja that I met while guiding desert sheep hunts down there. He had really abused them and both lenses were broken. I sent them to Swarovski and they replaced both lenses FREE OF CHARGE. Incredible customer service!

Some of my guides use Zeiss and I have a pair of 20x60 stabilizer binos that I love. They are too heavy to carry in the field but they are an awesome truck or boat binocular. I think Zeiss products are great but I think Swarovski are the best.

My only suggestion would be to stay away from the vortex. I’ve had two pair and they have both failed several times over. The glass is of very respectable quality but the housing isn’t. I had a pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x42 that were excellent for the money but I have them away as a present. As far as I know they are still going strong. I’m ready to upgrade yet again which was the point of this post. I’m ready to not have to shop for binos ever again if I can help it. I believe this is one of those things that you truly get what you pay for.
Thanks! Maybe I'll look at Zeiss then. I just don't need a real expensive set of binocs for one week of elk hunting a year and some deer, pronghorn hunting or maybe a once or thrice in a lifetime African hunt?

Thanks! Maybe I'll look at Zeiss then. I just don't need a real expensive set of binocs for one week of elk hunting a year and some deer, pronghorn hunting or maybe a once or thrice in a lifetime African hunt?
Think for what you are wanting, the Zeiss Conquest would fit the bill nicely. Best of luck my friend.

Hi Jake,

I've used all the major brands and can get the guide/outfitter discounts on them all. The best I have found are Swarovski EL 10x42. I have one with and one without the rangefinder. I also have the SLC model in the 15x56. As you now, the SLC are a little cheaper and heavier. I haven't owned a SLC 10x42 but some of my guides have those and love them. I think it comes down to personal preference, as you said but it is nice to watch an animal and tell my client the range as he shoots and still be able to watch the animal and range it at the same time. Once you get used to it, I bet you would prefer the ranging bino instead of a separate rangefinder.

I have had poor luck with Leica. I had two different pairs of 10x42 with rangefinder. After a while, the rangefinder would only work out to 400-500 yards, instead of over 1000 yards so I sent them in twice to get fixed. The eye focus adjustments would also slowly change to were I would run out of travel on the adjustment and would have to send them in to be re-centered. Weird. As for optical quality, they were great in the center but the edges of the sight picture were slightly blurred. My Swarovski are clear edge to edge.

Swarovski is also famous for quick and cheap repairs - mostly free. I bought the SLC 15x56 binos from a Mexican guy in Baja that I met while guiding desert sheep hunts down there. He had really abused them and both lenses were broken. I sent them to Swarovski and they replaced both lenses FREE OF CHARGE. Incredible customer service!

Some of my guides use Zeiss and I have a pair of 20x60 stabilizer binos that I love. They are too heavy to carry in the field but they are an awesome truck or boat binocular. I think Zeiss products are great but I think Swarovski are the best.
Thank you sir for sharing your experience. I’m certainly glad to hear about Swarovski customer service as I will inevitably have to deal with them at some point. Happy hunting and thank you again.

@redriverjake
Vortex has full warranty coverage.
I can suggest to contact nearest vortex dealer, and change binocular for new one, free of charge.
Once this is complete, you can decide to keep Vortex, or sell it NIB condition, and buy new one different brand.
For more details, drop me pm.

I have had good luck with my vortex Razors, but I also don't use them 250 days a year. So I will keep an eye out for problems you mentioned.

Mine are the Zeiss conquest, 8x32, 10 years old, been all over world, never failed me, beat to hell and always there and ready when needed. Light around neck, good in dim light, not cheap but not SLC price. Never seen any reason to replace.

MB

I have had good luck with my vortex Razors, but I also don't use them 250 days a year. So I will keep an eye out for problems you mentioned.
That's what I'm thinking? How do you beat the s*** out of them for so long that they no longer work? If your guiding sheep/goat hunts and they get banged on rocks, etc., but I can't imagine that kind of abuse for the average hunter? I've never experienced that in 30 years of elk hunting in Colorado?

Hi RedriverJake,
You mentioned professional, and your criteria are for the best, cost no object. Clearly Swarovski is the way to go, pardon the pun. I have Swarovski and Leica scopes, Zeiss binos and a Leupold on my 30-30 Marlin for the weight. The quality and performance ranking is Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Leupold. As soon as I get to SA I want to get a pair of Swarovski binos, compacts.

+1 Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss. But I wouldn't care to rank them. As Alpha glass they are all exceptional and it really does come down to personal preference; everybody's eyes are different. Also form factor of weight, size and ergonomics is a lesser but important consideration in any given magnification range.

To my eyes the Leica lenses give me greater color definition and makes for very nice viewing. for the record I have an older pair of 8x42 Ultravid HD's.

I’m admittedly hard on equipment, was born that way I guess. My mother’s nickname for me growing up and occasionally today is Bam Bam. The first problem was with the eye cups and then it was the focus knob, came completely apart in the field. I’ve been looking for the pictures but I might have erased them on accident.

Bought a pair of 8x35 Swaro at the plant in Chez republic over 25 y ago and they have been all over the world with me (my dad was with me and he bought a pair too which I have now as he is gone)
I've got Swaro 15x56 which are assume and 2 Swaro spotting scopes! My RF spotters are Zeiss 10x42 which have great ballistic program with decent lens! My beater binos are Maven 9x45 and 15x56 which live in my ranch/hunting trunk and for the money they cant be beat!
I hunt, spot, scout, pack, horse, shoot, 4wheel, side by side or travel over 200 days per year and with 1-2 trips to Africa this year planned and one to AK with at least 60 days chasing elk my 8x35 swaros will be with me, all others are "special use"!

8×56 Steiner. Military marine. Great warranty us to be 20 years.
Krish
you are not going to be any rougher than military or marines.

Jake check out Steiner as well...some .military use them...I have had a pair of 8x32 Merlin for years. Zambezi arms at kanele mall in lusaka stock them...that's if you still in Zambia as I see you in oz or texas
Hello bwana, I can’t figure out how to update my info. I’ll be back in Zambia soon. How are things that side ?

Bought a pair of 8x35 Swaro at the plant in Chez republic over 25 y ago and they have been all over the world with me (my dad was with me and he bought a pair too which I have now as he is gone)
I've got Swaro 15x56 which are assume and 2 Swaro spotting scopes! My RF spotters are Zeiss 10x42 which have great ballistic program with decent lens! My beater binos are Maven 9x45 and 15x56 which live in my ranch/hunting trunk and for the money they cant be beat!
I hunt, spot, scout, pack, horse, shoot, 4wheel, side by side or travel over 200 days per year and with 1-2 trips to Africa this year planned and one to AK with at least 60 days chasing elk my 8x35 swaros will be with me, all others are "special use"!
Thank you for your detailed report. I’m thinking Swarovski is the way to go for sure but it’s good to get verification. Best of luck on your upcoming hunts. Cheers

8×56 Steiner. Military marine. Great warranty us to be 20 years.
Krish
you are not going to be any rougher than military or marines.
I don't know? Some of these guys seem to have been to "hell and back" with their binoculars, which is a novelty to me? I've hunted with mine for many years, but I've not gone through a "combat" course with them?

Warranty
20210310_015013.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avery44157

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!