THE KING

I am also a big fan of the .375H&H...some of my fondest hunting memories have been with such rifles..

What is incredibly sad is that Holland & Holland today do not know who constructed it...one of the greatest if not THE greatest hunting cartridge and we dont know who thought it out.. no records.. :(
Pondoro
Hoss Delgado once showed me a very old book in his collection which lists the creator of this beautiful cartridge , as an English gentleman named Jefferson Spydell in 1911 .
It was an improvement over the .375 Austrian Mannlicher cartridge , according the book .
@Hoss Delgado could you kindly sent Pondoro the page from the book ?

Yes, synthetic stock from CZ (also available from Bell & Carlson).

Barrel was cut to 22".
Weight is WAYYYYYY to heavy for you my recoil loving friend...over 10.5# with a 1.5-5x20 scope and loaded with ammo.
I did add some weight to the stock and it balances perfectly at the magazine now, albeit a tad heavy overall.
I must say after shooting this for two years now, I believe I could easily drop it to 8-9# with no problems.
Or I could just get a 416Rigby and have a second fiddle to the KING!!!
My how times have changed my R8 loving friend! Lol!

My how times have changed my R8 loving friend! Lol!
And yet have stayed the same with 2 - 375's in the stable now. That last statement was almost prophetic about the 416. Although mine is a Rem Mag and not the RIGBY, it's at least a 416.

Hard to believe the journey into medium/big bores could be so fun and go so quickly. Been less than a year and a half and I flipped my entire rifle collection. Appreciate all the enabling. ;)

Bolt action AR 375 LEGO GUN with variable multi round magazine will settle this dispute.
That will make everybody RIGHT.
OH I will try to design it as a CRF as well.

In several older sources it was mentioned that 375 H&H had quality, of not shifting point of impact with different bullet weight: 235, 270, 300 grains. But it was not cleared at what distance?

Most probably this comes from old original cartridge/bullet designs.

The question for modern, experienced 375 H&H owners:
Is this claim, still true today?

There can only be one king. One leader. One ruler of them all.
He must be versatile. Must be able to handle all situations in a pinch. Must be able to do the work of a bigger man, and have the finesse to do a lesser man's job as well. He will often have to defend his title against newcomers, but his confidence will not allow him to bow to any man or any thing. He is the ruler of the roost, and has been since 1912. His thrown is secure. He will not be unseated anytime soon.

While my opening lines may seem of a human nature, what we are really discussing here is THE tool of the trade. THE rifle for most anything, anytime, anywhere in Africa, and much of the world. Not perfect for every endeavor, but quite capable for most, if not all things that need a healthy dose of lead.
All hail the KING! I present you, the 375 Holland and Holland Magnum.

Once upon a time there were real men. Real men that hunted large, dangerous game, in a land filled with Ebony and Ivory. Black death around every corner, with the constitution to make a puddle of flesh out of any puny human.

For years the playing field was surprisingly even. Men walked in fear for their lives in these wild lands. Fear of being trampled, gored, bitten or mauled, lurked in the minds of every man. Until one day.....a wonderful thing came into existence. Gunpowder was to be the great equalizer. For it would not only even the playing field between men themselves, it would also allow us our assent to the top of the food chain.

Black powder was the father, and smokeless was the son. A son that by all measures would change the world forever. Would allow men to create weapons capable of amazing range, power and penetration.

What was once known as small bore rifles had now become large bore, due to the advancement of full patch ammo, that was capable of penetrating the skull of a bull Elephant at any angle. With this development, the old 2 Bore and 4 Bore rifles were made obsolete.

Years passed, and men were still slaying the largest of beasts with 45 and 50 caliber rifles. Some double and some magazine fed. But there were times when a more all around approach was needed. A time when a man needed meat for the pot, yet had to wade by a host of unfriendly things to get there. The medium rifle was the answer.

Several attempts at perfection were attempted, until one day the KING was born. For that one day in 1912 was to be an event that would forever change the world of big game hunting. The KING could make quick work of a 300 yard Impala, and could fend off an angry Rhino on the way back to camp. And all of this was accomplished with the very questionable bullets of the time. Solids were the name of the game for large beasts, and soft nosed bullets handled the rest. Even in it's humble beginnings, the KING was praised.

More years passed, and hunting took a turn for the worse, while hunting equipment took the opposite turn. Modern gun powder became temperature insensitive. Soft nosed bullets became quite capable of penetration never known before. And like the smokless powder cartridges from the turn of the century eclipsed the black powder dragons of the past, modern ammo made the medium bores behave much like their big brothers had before. All the while, being capable of covering vast expanses of land to bag a distant Springbuck in Africa or Antelope in the USA. In a sense, at least for the visiting hunter, the KING became the yardstick that all others would aspire to. THE do it all, anytime, anywhere cartridge.

With 235 or 250 grain bullets, it can be made to behave much like a 300 Win Mag. A nearly perfect Elk or Kudu rifle.

Move on to 270 grain TSX or Swift bullets, and now you begin to enter the dual purpose aspect of the KING. While these lighter bullets may not be the perfect answer for larger dangerous game, they will offer comfort in Lion country, while tracking your Gemsbuck on the open plains of the Kalahari. They will offer good ranging capabilities, and enough muscle to kill a Cape Buffalo or Eland in a pinch.

Now we enter the true domain of the KING. After all....the 300 grain bullet is what made the KING..... The KING.
Swift A Frame, Barnes TSX, Northfork and a few others are built for speed AND penetration. Now we enter the realm of true buffalo performance. Now we are holding a rifle fully capable of tackling an enraged bull Hippo at spitting distance, or a heart shot on a 12,000 lb Elephant. A load that will penetrate the boss of the biggest bull Cape Buffalo, while only blasting a reasonably small hole in your Dik Dik on the way back to camp.

Moving on up to 340 to 380 Grain projectiles, we move the KING into 400 caliber territory. We abandon some of it's versatility in trade for raw power. Now we are truly holding a Danger Game Rifle. Not a one trick pony, but a much more specialized tool. A tool that will seldom need to be bested by a larger caliber arm.

Although there are better tools for many hunting jobs, there are few jobs that can't be handled by The KING.
A PH may need more power in certain situations. Certainly a stopping rifle needs to begin with a 4 and work up from there. But for pure versatility, and usefulness on animals large and small... the 375 H&H is still KING.

LONG LIVE THE KING.
Who wrote this great piece, you Toby?

In several older sources it was mentioned that 375 H&H had quality, of not shifting point of impact with different bullet weight: 235, 270, 300 grains. But it was not cleared at what distance?

Most probably this comes from old original cartridge/bullet designs.

The question for modern, experienced 375 H&H owners:
Is this claim, still true today?
At fifty yards my guns didn't shift much at all between 300's and 285's. I am going to guess that the magic is confined to a max of about 150 yards. Beyond that the BC variances are catching up and they slow at different rates yielding changes in trajectory. This is also subject to sight heights.

I've had issue with 2 different brands of ammo that shift POI 2-3" at 100 yards. PPU RNSP 300 grain ammo has a POI 2" left of Barnes TSX 300 grain. Might have something to do with the quality of the PPU or the different shapes of the bullets. All I know it that it's real. Be sure you are zeroed in with the ammo you will be hunting with.

The legend lives on, but best appreciated with iron sights, at relatively close range...

This was probably true that .375 H&H bullets of various weights "grouped" together to approximately the same point of impact, shooting with iron sights. This was probably truer in some barrels. And this was probably truest with bullets of different weights but identical construction (bearing surfaces and jacket metal), in cartridges loaded with the same propellant (pressure curve), by the same company (brass and primer).

And it is true today too mark-hunter, but it all depends on how you define "not shifting point of impact." Are we looking at 1 MOA (1" @ 100 yards)? 2 MOA (2" @ 100 yards)? 3 MOA (3" @ 100 yards)? etc.

For example, in my Blaser R8 semi-weight .375 barrel, when using different bullet types and different loads from different manufacturers, and when shooting with a scope, i.e. shooting so much more precisely than a typical rear V and front post iron sights allow, I get the following results:

1) Sighted at 100 yards dead center with a Leica Magnus i 1-6x24 for the Norma PH factory load 350 gr Woodleigh FMJ:
--- the Norma PH 350 gr Woodleigh Weldcore RNSN (round nose soft nose) land 1/4" high and 3/4" left, which is "imperfect" for the supposedly-matched pair, but still "minute-of-whatever-you-would-shoot-with-a-350gr-.375-slug" for body shots;
--- the Federal Premium 300 gr Nosler Partition land 1 1/2" low and 3/4" left;
--- the PPU 300 gr soft land 2 1/2" low and 3/4" left.

2) Sighted at 100 yards dead center with a Leica ER i 2.5-10x42 with BDC turret custom graduated to the Barnes factory load 300 gr TSX in this barrel:
--- the Federal Premium 300 gr Nosler Partition land 2 1/2" high;
--- the PPU 300 gr soft land 1 1/2" high and a bit left (not worth clicking for practice).

Admittedly, all of this is within "minute of Buffalo" (at least on shoulder/lung/heart shots) and admittedly too, all of this is within loose "minute or iron sights" so the legend lives on, but observe that with the precision of a scope at 100 yards there is a significant difference (4") between these loads, although at 50 yards this difference would be reduced to 2" making either the Norma PH 350 gr Woodleigh FMJ (top) or the Barnes 300 gr TSX (bottom) a kill shot on an Elephant side brain shot, or a Croc brain shot, or a Hippo brain shot...

Note: I am not advocating the TSX for an elephant side brain shot, although I suspect it would probably work - while it would certainly fail for a frontal brain shot (not enough penetration) - I am just illustrating that at close range virtually all slugs group close enough to put whatever in the salt...

I expect that about any factory 270 gr, 260 gr, 250 gr load would land somewhere between the Norma RNSN and PPU. Old Winchester 270 gr Power Point did...

1615840621378.png

Coincidentally, I made the following illustration for myself a few weeks ago, because I wanted to be able to use easily the cheap PPU ammo for practice, without having to constantly re-sight the two scopes I use on my .375 H&H.

Interestingly, there is a 4" vertical dispersion only because the Barnes factory load 300 gr TSX disappointingly clocks in my barrel on average only 2490 fps (with some shots as slow as 2450 fps for an extreme spread of 91 fps), instead of the 2540 fps spec, while the Federal factory load 300 gr Partition clocks a full 2540 fps, and the PPU clocks around 2520. I would have loved the TSX and Partition to group together, as the TSX is about perfect as an all-around bullet, but the Partition is much more desirable for cats...

Incidentally, this group verifies the concept of "barrel timing". Observe that the 350 gr load shoots significantly higher than all the 300 gr loads despite being the slowest (2300 fps). This is because, being slower, it leaves the barrel later, when the muzzle is higher under recoil, than when firing faster (and lower recoil) 300 gr slugs...

Last edited:
@One Day...
Thank you for so meticoulous reply!

I dont have yet sufficient trigger time with my new 375 (ZKK 602), so far just initial testing and I was much intrigued by what was written about POI for this caliber by early authors, thus the question.

Anyway, I just managed to test my 375 H&H, with 2 different cartridges, both 300 grains.
RWS (KS) and PPU (RNSP).

At 100 meters, there was not much change, in point of impact, but, after all, these are the same weight of bullets. Grouping is similar, with same weight, at 100 meters, with one minor flyer with PPU. (But it also could be my error, as well, cannot say for certain)

Once I get the rifle from gunsmith, after few personal adjustments, I will get to more testing.
Initial targets attached. (FYI point of aim is center of target)

PPU RNSP.jpg
RWS KS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find to be the most impressive feat of the .375 Holland & Holland , is how factory loaded ammunition it has ALWAYS been continuously available ever since it’s inception in 1912 ( 109 years back ) . No doubt , this is what greatly contributed to it’s popularity .

Until 1937 , ICI Kynoch used to be the only manufacturer of factory loaded .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Ammunition . Then , Winchester began to offer factory loaded ammunition ammunition for this calibre as well ( 270 grain Power Points , 300 grain Silver Tips and 300 grain gilding metal bluff nosed solids ) . In 1960 , Remington stepped in with a 270 grain Core Lokt and a 300 grain round nosed steel jacketed solid . At the same time , both RWS and DWM began to offer factory loaded ammunition for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum as well ( 300 grain TUG soft nosed bullets and 300 grain round nosed steel jacketed solids ) .

When ICI Kynoch ceased manufacturing central fire ammunition in 1972 , the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was the only British big game calibre which was left standing . Because there were three other manufacturers of factory loaded ammunition for this calibre . During this time , only factory loaded ammunition for two large game calibres were being commercially manufactured : i ) .375 Holland & Holland Magnum ii ) .458 Winchester Magnum . There was also the .378 Weatherby Magnum and the .460 Weatherby Magnum , but ( for reasons which need not be related here ) these proved extremely undesirable for most dangerous game hunters .

Given the velocity problems of the .458 Winchester Magnum ( at the time ) , it goes without saying that the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was what the bulk of dangerous game hunters opted for . By the time the British Nitro Express calibres ( such as the .416 Rigby and .505 Gibbs ) began to experience a renaissance ( from 1984 onwards ) , most client hunters in Africa began to realize that a properly loaded .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was all they needed .

5351C216-3AE8-4CD3-BE49-825250197BDB.jpeg

If anybody remembers all of these ammunition boxes , then they are definitely above 60 years of age .

Hello Professor Mawla,
Well written for my taste! And I do remember these!!! Those yellow Winchester-Western boxes Power Point were the best general medium and big non dangerous game cartridge-bullets at that times. And the first vertions of the Silvertips as well. Not the last ones.

Best!

CF

Hello Professor Mawla,
Well written for my taste! And I do remember these!!! Those yellow Winchester-Western boxes Power Point were the best general medium and big non dangerous game cartridge-bullets at that times. And the first vertions of the Silvertips as well. Not the last ones.

Best!

CF
@Clodo Ferreira
Oh , yes . Definitely . The Winchester Silver Tips which were manufactured prior to 1973 were excellent , because they employed a jacket constructed from nickel and copper and zinc . From 1973 onwards , Winchester ( in an attempt to reduce manufacturing cost ) had the jacket composition altered to aluminum . What happened next was inevitable . Disaster ensued , because a bullet which was once excellent for Royal Bengal tigers ( as recalled countless times by @Major Khan Sir ) had now become completely unreliable for use against even leopards .

1615938786081.png
1615938817771.png
1615938889073.png
1615940345992.png

The other KINGs with African Roots (excepting Carroll Shelby's King Cobra). That's a lotta re-siting in going from PG to DG. I'll just use the big .338 and have 'em grab the .416 off the truck...(had 2 375s so 'know they're definitely capable) or use the .338 in a pinch (w/ 300 gr bullets-even higher SD V and E than the .375!) If not for the .30 cal rifles (KINGS?) in the field and battlefields, we might not be enjoying such freedoms today. ;) How much game has been taken with the 30-06 vs. the .375? Oooooooooo la la!

Last edited:
View attachment 393490View attachment 393492View attachment 393493
The other KINGs with African Roots. That's a lotta re-siting in going from PG to DG. I'll just use the big .338 and have 'em grab the .416 off the truck...(had 2 375s so 'know they're definitely capable) or use the .338 in a pinch (w/ 300 gr bullets-even higher SD V and E than the .375!)
@C.W. Richter
I absolutely love the .338 Winchester Magnum too . Especially with 250 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory loads . My Himalayan ibex calibre of choice , second to none .

@C.W. Richter
I absolutely love the .338 Winchester Magnum too . Especially with 250 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory loads . My Himalayan ibex calibre of choice , second to none .
i've got the smaller 338-06 A-Sq and much larger 338 A-Sq (338-378 Wby predecessor.) Constructed properly (large stock, heavy contour barrel, etc. etc.) it shoots all shots touching and can do anything you want. ANYTHING. Now they have the 265-300 gr bullets, which would definitely do the job on DG too where legal (its E is higher than the 375, and with its higher SD I have no doubt a solid would penetrate a buff lengthwise, if necessary, and then turn around and take a puku at 400 yds with ease using the very same bullets!) As with the 375, 'just have to ensure that your target is clear, as the bullet will definitely exit on broadside shots.

I’ve seen the accuracy with which you shoot a 375. Add solids to that with the fact that you are taking a shot at less than 25 yards. This should be an easy decision. 375 and done my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross