The good old 7.92 x 57 Mauser

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
What can you tell me about this classic cartridge? Does it have a place in todays African safari?

Of course the 8x57 does. Whether .318 or .323 bore, standard or rimmed, it will do anything a 30-06 will. Quite a few travel south with European hunters every year.

I love battle field rounds and the 8mm has not received all the kudos it should have over the years.

Did you know that it was the first battle field round to be supplied to troops at 3000 fps.

Of course , it does . We used to refer to it , as the 8 x 57 mm Mauser during our time . It used to propel a 227 grain bullet and ammunition used to be manufactured by RWS . It was an extremely popular choice among my Continental clients . Winchester Western and Remington Peters also used to load cartridges in this caliber , by utilizing 170 grain bullets . How ever ... I did not like these much , because their charge of propellant powder was fairly low compared to the fine German RWS factory loaded ammunition . The 227 grain soft point bullet has been used by my clients to take all of India’s non dangerous game , with utter impunity . Amongst dangerous game animals , it used to be a superb performer on panthers ( All sub species ) , bears ( All species including our much imposing Himalayan Brown Bear ) , Bengal Bush Boar, Ganges River Crocodile and ( Non charging ) royal Bengal tigers .

Sporterized military surplus Mauser 98 bolt rifles chambered in this caliber , used to be a common sight in the hands of my Continental European clients of modest means . Combination guns were also made in this caliber , with the shot gun barrel invariably being of 16 Bore .

Last edited:
Sadly I hAve owned only 1 model 98 and it had been rebarreled to 308 and was stamped with Isrea!i markings. I traded it for a Savage 99 in 308. I am a big fan of medium bores and may have to buy an 8mm to see for myself.

The 8x57 will always have a place. It is after all the parent case for all cartridges with a .423” head diameter.

There are some wonderful rifles from Suhl floating around in 8x57, built on M98 actions.

What can you tell me about this classic cartridge? Does it have a place in todays African safari?
A few years ago I read a European hunting magazine testing a wide variety of different calibers with Rhino bullets related to huge + 400lb European Wild Boar. I recall none of the 30 cals penetrated the test medium. Even 9,3x57 failed. Only two calibers managed to punch thru. One was 9,3x62, the other was 8x57JS. I was not at all surprised as I know quite well its capability's with proper bullets at short to medium ranges.

8x57 is often referred to as a large 308WIN. Difference is that 8x57 handles heavy bullets very well.

It will of course be a great choice for todays African safari. If expected shooting distance would exceed 250 yds I would maybe opt for something in the 7mm RM to 8x68 area.

8x57is is in my opinion one of the most harmonious cartridges ever made.

I hunt only in Sweden and the requirements for a cartridge for hunting wild boar and moose, for example, are that the bullet must be expanding and weigh at least 9g and have an impact energy of at least 2700 Joules at 100 meters. (one of the reasons why 6.5x55 is so common here)

I have owned many rifles in caliber 8x57is but have now built a rifle that really suits me with rough open reticle from Reknagel. The rifle, which is basically a Husqvarna 1900, was originally in caliber 6.5x55 but now has a barrel in caliber 8x57is from a Husqvarna 648. Topped with an old Leupold 1-4x20.

I now use Barnes 160 grains TTSX.

20200613_150317.jpg

A few years ago I read a European hunting magazine testing a wide variety of different calibers with Rhino bullets related to huge + 400lb European Wild Boar. I recall none of the 30 cals penetrated the test medium. Even 9,3x57 failed. Only two calibers managed to punch thru. One was 9,3x62, the other was 8x57JS. I was not at all surprised as I know quite well its capability's with proper bullets at short to medium ranges.

8x57 is often referred to as a large 308WIN. Difference is that 8x57 handles heavy bullets very well.

It will of course be a great choice for todays African safari. If expected shooting distance would exceed 250 yds I would maybe opt for something in the 7mm RM to 8x68 area.
@ Accidental Villain
The 8x57 is closer to the 30 ought six. Properly loaded it is the full equal of it. Years of when the GIs bought home war souvenirs they couldn't get 7x57 ammo so they ran an 06 reamer into them and made the 8mm 06, an even better cartridge.
Bob

From dirt cheap to a tad expensive for the real thing nowadays, the 7.92 or "8 mm Mauser" as generally known in the US has killed anything that walks the earth, by the million if you include WW I, WW II and countless post-colonial "liberation" wars fought with massive numbers of WW II recirculated K98's...

As Red Leg said, it was the German 30-06, albeit with a slightly larger diameter and a slightly shorter case (7.92 x 57 mm instead of 7.62 x 63 mm). In so many words: "same difference!" :)

1597016835381.png

1597016607254.png

@ Accidental Villain
The 8x57 is closer to the 30 ought six. Properly loaded it is the full equal of it. Years of when the GIs bought home war souvenirs they couldn't get 7x57 ammo so they ran an 06 reamer into them and made the 8mm 06, an even better cartridge.
Bob
Sure Bob. 8mm-06 is a fine caliber indeed. No question about that.
That being said, my 26" premium barrel delivers well over 2700 fps with 200 grain bullets.
2600 - 2700 fps is great speed for optimum bullet performance from a 200 grain 8mm, at least if meat destruction is a concern combined with punching an exit hole be it a large bull moose or 400 lb wild boar.

After an incident with a bear I decided to get rid of all my rifles that did`nt have open sights as primary sights. I needed a rifle that filled the gap between my 6,5x55 and my Rigby preferably a light sporter. After a long thought process I decided to go for 8x57. I`ve shot large moose with 375H&H, 338WinMag, 9,3x62, 6,5x55 and 8x57 btw..
Here it is. 26" original Mauser profile barrel, Pre WW II Oberndorf action, Silvers, 1/4 rib, 400 yrs old Juglans Regia full fiddleback, WR frontsight without the flip up.

IMG_0169.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said, my 26" premium barrel delivers well over 2700 fps with 200 grain bullets.
2600 - 2700 fps is great speed for optimum bullet performance from a 200 grain 8mm, at least if meat destruction is a concern combined with punching an exit hole be it a large bull moose or 400 lb wild boar.

After an incident with a bear I decided to get rid of all my rifles that did`nt have open sights as primary sights. I needed a rifle that filled the gap between my 6,5x55 and my Rigby preferably a light sporter. After a long thought process I decided to go for 8x57. I`ve shot large moose with 375H&H, 338WinMag, 9,3x62, 6,5x55 and 8x57 btw..
Here it is. 26" original Mauser profile barrel, Pre WW II Oberndorf action, Silvers, 1/4 rib, 400 yrs old Juglans Regia full fiddleback, WR frontsight without the flip up.

View attachment 362038
Vveyy nice

View attachment 362038

When i look at the grass it looks like you live in sweden...

I am very fond of the 8x57 S-Bore (7.9x57), preferring it just slightly, over the 7x57 (which also, is an absolutely wonderful hunting cartridge).
The 8x57 Mauser in Accidental Villain’s photo is perfect in every way, simply perfect.

Last edited:
I built myself a custom Mauser rifle in 8x57JS using a commercial pre war Mauser action and a Lothar Walther barrel. I simply love this rifle and it performs fantastically on game without fuss nor fanfare. My load is a 196 gr Woodleigh RNSP at a genuine 2550 FPS. This load has accounted for all the bigger plains game, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra and Gemsbok. I have not shot and Eland with it but I’m sure if its all I had on me and with correct shot placement it would do the job.

I also believe that it is a very underrated caliber and that few of the younger hunters and shooters know too much about it unless they have been exposed to it by older family or friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg