The Adventure Begins!!!!

KanatI Taxidermy in PA is doing just the two horns for me on a pedestal that will sit at the end of my bar. $600 compared to 3K plush for a shoulder replica. Just a thought. The great thing is if you have the measurements and pics you can do have something done at anytime.

Also, I did not want to end up on the wall next to mount either. LOL.

IT will look something similar to attached picture

IMG_0423.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What an adventure! I had never even considered the fact that a rhino could charge after being shot by a vita dart!
Well done for accomplishing the first mission!

He is a stud, are you having a replica of the horn made?
I think if someone shot a dart into my arse I’d be looking for some retribution.

The day of The Buffalo
After another fantastic evening where Marie cooked my favorite African animal Eland steak then a great breakfast we were off to hunt a buffalo cow to break in my new 470 NE DR. We must have walked about 12 miles just in the morning as the buffalo we estimated at 25 animals in the group we were hunting kept eluding us all morning. Finally late in the day my PH spotted them at 1250 yards. “Craig let’s walk some more”. We got to within 200 yards and then the fun began. A lone cow spotted us so we had to sit for 30 minutes not moving. In my previous two buffalo hunts I did not have to crawl but this was absolutely required for this buff!!! I pushed my rifle in front of me as we crawled another 200 yards!!!! My Fantastic PH says “Craig there is a very old cow on our far left with three younger cows…when we stand up they will run to our right with the wind…be ready”. I stand and nothing happens!!!! I have worked my butt off trying to hide and 25 Buffalo do nothing!!! My PH then whistles and all hell breaks loose… I see my buff and shoot hitting her a little far back at 50 yards. My PH forgets I have my DR as he tells me to reload…I do not hesitate as I get off the sticks and swing with her as she runs parallel to me…the left barrel goes off breaking her neck with both of us watching her tumble head over heels in a magnificent tumble…shortly we hear her death bellow and it is over!!!! A very hard fought magnificent experience one I will never forget !!!

Shanghai
You just have to come to Wintershoek!!! These people go so far above and beyond in everything they do for you!!! For my final lunch they took me to an old Bushman meeting ground with a great waterfall and trees so old you have to see to believe!!! I had a fantastic lunch catered just for me with Eland steak and fixings!!! What an incredible experience. I highly give Wintershoek 5 stars and if you are looking for a place to bring a spous or partner look no further…Wintershoek is the place!!!!

You definitely hooked me!
Please have mercy and post some pictures!

Congrats!

The day of The Buffalo
After another fantastic evening where Marie cooked my favorite African animal Eland steak then a great breakfast we were off to hunt a buffalo cow to break in my new 470 NE DR. We must have walked about 12 miles just in the morning as the buffalo we estimated at 25 animals in the group we were hunting kept eluding us all morning. Finally late in the day my PH spotted them at 1250 yards. “Craig let’s walk some more”. We got to within 200 yards and then the fun began. A lone cow spotted us so we had to sit for 30 minutes not moving. In my previous two buffalo hunts I did not have to crawl but this was absolutely required for this buff!!! I pushed my rifle in front of me as we crawled another 200 yards!!!! My Fantastic PH says “Craig there is a very old cow on our far left with three younger cows…when we stand up they will run to our right with the wind…be ready”. I stand and nothing happens!!!! I have worked my butt off trying to hide and 25 Buffalo do nothing!!! My PH then whistles and all hell breaks loose… I see my buff and shoot hitting her a little far back at 50 yards. My PH forgets I have my DR as he tells me to reload…I do not hesitate as I get off the sticks and swing with her as she runs parallel to me…the left barrel goes off breaking her neck with both of us watching her tumble head over heels in a magnificent tumble…shortly we hear her death bellow and it is over!!!! A very hard fought magnificent experience one I will never forget !!!

Shanghai
You just have to come to Wintershoek!!! These people go so far above and beyond in everything they do for you!!! For my final lunch they took me to an old Bushman meeting ground with a great waterfall and trees so old you have to see to believe!!! I had a fantastic lunch catered just for me with Eland steak and fixings!!! What an incredible experience. I highly give Wintershoek 5 stars and if you are looking for a place to bring a spous or partner look no further…Wintershoek is the place!!!!

When you wrote that all "hell broke loose", I was expecting another charge. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Thank God this one went almost as planned. Keep it coming. (y)

Then all hell broke loose as he attacked another thorn tree :A Stirring: :ROFLMAO: Keep it up! Hope you packed a few needles to dig them out:cry: for the stubborn ones put a sticking plaster on them and they should pop to the surface over night……we may need to send you a few more packs though…..if you keep this up:unsure:

Loving the story keep it coming. Nice shooting on the Buff.

We are anxiously waiting for more. :E Tap Foot::E Tap Foot:

Congratulations on a great hunt. It's looking like Lon might have his hands full when you're in camp if you get charged again.

My two week adventure begins!!! Targeting Rhino, Buff, assorted PG and finally a Trophy Bull Elephant!!! I will be providing parts to this trip in pieces by day hoping that is okay. Have you ever had a travel trip that went perfect? Well this was it. 14.5 hour trip from Atlanta to JNB went perfect…on time flight, TSA very friendly wishing me success. Recently a poster asked the value of using a company to help get through customs to your hotel…I always use henry@rifle permits. Marius is nothing short of incredible!!! As soon as I came out of the gate there was the sign with my name. There were already over 200 people standing in the custom line…I got taken up to the very front of everyone and processed through. They had a cart for me, collected my bag then took me to collect my rifles. They had the police waiting with my rifle checked my numbers then handed me my completed rifle license. They then took me to the City Lodge. In 35 minutes from deplane to hotel…there were people still waiting in the custom line!!!! $200 worth every penny!!!! To be continued

When you wrote that all "hell broke loose", I was expecting another charge. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Thank God this one went almost as planned. Keep it coming. (y)
Sunday I fly to Zim for my second hunt for my trophy bull elephant…stay tuned!!!
Then all hell broke loose as he attacked another thorn tree :A Stirring: :ROFLMAO: Keep it up! Hope you packed a few needles to dig them out:cry: for the stubborn ones put a sticking plaster on them and they should pop to the surface over night……we may need to send you a few more packs though…..if you keep this up:unsure:

Loving the story keep it coming. Nice shooting on the Buff.
Thanks! Don’t laugh…they did give me a needle to pop out five stubborn thorns that broke of in my palm…fortunate all the many others came out
I am off to City Lodge tomorrow then Sunday begins my Trophy Bull Elephant hunt in Zim…to be continued
We are anxiously waiting for more. :E Tap Foot::E Tap Foot:
I spoke too soon as there were two nice surprises ahead for me!!! First during Fridays lunch Wintershoek presented me with a beautiful leather photo album with their logo and my name stitched with pictures of my animals!!!!! Overwhelmed!!! Second Johan my PH said we were going to their second of four lodges that is close to the airport. The landscape and lodge were just stunning as was the food and awesome hospitality!!! My PH says let’s go find the final animal on your list which was a beautiful male Blue Wildebeest given I want a new office rug and they are so beautiful!!!! We drove around for about two hours just soaking up the beautiful country with everywhere I looked seeming like a picture!!! During this time Johan climbed a massive kopje to glass. When he got down he said some good bulls are in the back so away we go!!! Finally we pass them by at about 150 yards and drive another 1,000 yards parking hidden by the trees and the stalk begins!!! We quickly close to 500 yards but then the fun begins…yes there is blood, mine!!! Just call me Craig thorn bush. lol!!! We have to crawl another 200 yards but finally get to the last tree with no more cover!!! Johan says you made a 300 yard shot with your 404J and I know you can make this one! Have I told you I am just an average shot but do practice every month with a max of 300 yards with my 404J!!! He comes to 280 yards but that’s it so the sticks go up with him looking at us straight on. I said I will not shoot him at this distance unless he turns but my scope was on him!!! He turns, I squeeze…..he drops to the shot!!!!! He is stunning!!!! I have to say I have been so incredibly impressed with this caliber all week!!! I know this is heresy to say but I may never take my 375 H&H with me again!!!

IMG_3087.jpeg
IMG_3082.jpeg
IMG_3060.jpeg
IMG_3041.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a fantastic adventure! May the Hunting Gods continue to guide you on this fantastic safari. (y)

Sunday I fly to Zim for my second hunt for my trophy bull elephant…stay tuned!!!

Thanks! Don’t laugh…they did give me a needle to pop out five stubborn thorns that broke of in my palm…fortunate all the many others came out
I am off to City Lodge tomorrow then Sunday begins my Trophy Bull Elephant hunt in Zim…to be continued

I spoke too soon as there were two nice surprises ahead for me!!! First during Fridays lunch Wintershoek presented me with a beautiful leather photo album with their logo and my name stitched with pictures of my animals!!!!! Overwhelmed!!! Second Johan my PH said we were going to their second of four lodges that is close to the airport. The landscape and lodge were just stunning as was the food and awesome hospitality!!! My PH says let’s go find the final animal on your list which was a beautiful male Blue Wildebeest given I want a new office rug and they are so beautiful!!!! We drove around for about two hours just soaking up the beautiful country with everywhere I looked seeming like a picture!!! During this time Johan climbed a massive kopje to glass. When he got down he said some good bulls are in the back so away we go!!! Finally we pass them by at about 150 yards and drive another 1,000 yards parking hidden by the trees and the stalk begins!!! We quickly close to 500 yards but then the fun begins…yes there is blood, mine!!! Just call me Craig thorn bush. lol!!! We have to crawl another 200 yards but finally get to the last tree with no more cover!!! Johan says you made a 300 yard shot with your 404J and I know you can make this one! Have I told you I am just an average shot but do practice every month with a max of 300 yards with my 404J!!! He comes to 280 yards but that’s it so the sticks go up with him looking at us straight on. I said I will not shoot him at this distance unless he turns but my scope was on him!!! He turns, I squeeze…..he drops to the shot!!!!! He is stunning!!!! I have to say I have been so incredibly impressed with this caliber all week!!! I know this is heresy to say but I may never take my 375 H&H with me again!!!

I’m absolutely loving this adventure @Rare Breed. Not only because of the content, but also because you managed to make the enthusiasm of a 10 year old on his first safari shine through in your writings. While we perfectly know this is not your first rodeo, it is magnificent to see someone with your experience still as excited as a puppy. I hope for all of us that we still feel this after our nth safari.

Cheers from Belgium to you, and a well deserved Waidmannsheil!

V.

Very nice where is photo of Willy the Wildebeest?

@Rare Breed, where are you sir? We have not had an update in a while. Hope all is well, and I can't wait to read about your Ele.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MerriPrieu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.