The 470 has landed!

Beautiful rifle! If you need help testing it, I'm just down the road in Calgary!

Wow! Congrats on a great rifle with some exceptional wood!!

Looking forward to seeing how she shoots!

Ordered a little skb case for it the other dayit came in a few hours after I picked up the rifle.

Case is a bit big but everything fits tight, case is very light, but I love the way it is set up. Good protection for transporting to and from the field .
PXL_20210518_222800127.jpg

Enjoy that beauty, Merkel builds a good double, I'vs had a few over the years. Its great to see guys enjoying double rifles, they are really cool and can be used more than people think. Congrats!

I too just acquired my first double, a 89 b in 500 NE. Concerning the regulation target, mine had 2 holes but was done with ammo I will never hunt with. I put a trijicon rmr on and this thing tells the truth about where your shots are hitting. I would certainly encourage you to use one, especially for your hand load workup and regulation. Beautiful rifle, congrats . You will love it!

I have an inquiry in with optics trade regarding a mount . Most reflex type sights are sold out in Canada , optics trade can ship a kalhes helia Rd here though, some others they can not ship to Canada . I am just waiting to hear on mount options. I want the sight kept as low as I can.

The little plate near the breech is dovetailed, I believe a 15 mm dovetail. 13 mm on the inside of the dovetail. Hopefully it is a common enough size where I can find a mount in stock compatible with a good reflex type sight.

I believe @Philip Glass used a Kahles and said it was good. Leica, trijicon could be options. Trijicon is sold out everywhere in Canada, unless one wants a 7 moa dot. I think 2-3 moa would be more appropriate for myself.

PXL_20210518_213624399.jpg
PXL_20210518_204213213.jpg
PXL_20210518_211853155.jpg

Just returned from the post office, will share a few pics! Wood is nicer than I hoped! Hopefully I can take some pics outside soon.

Merkel 140 AE , 470 Nitro Express. Two sets of wood. Have a bunch of woodleighs and swift a frame to load up . I can see the sights ok, I think I will still plan on setting up a dot/reflex sight.

Hope you enjoy a few pictures
View attachment 402667View attachment 402668View attachment 402669View attachment 402670View attachment 402671View attachment 402672

Absolutely beautiful wood! Be sure to get a set of snap caps if it did not come with any. Trader Kieth usually has them in .470.

Between me and my hunting partner, we have used Leica, trijicon, docter. I have the 3.25 MOA red dot. I think it is perfect. Turn up for close quarters for fast aquisition and turn down for longer shots. The brighter it is, the dot appears bigger and vice versa. I think the 1moa, while possibly more precise, may not be best for hunting. Does merkel have a recommended red dot base? Heym had a provided base for either docter or trijicon sights.

Welcome to the double rifle world, you will truly enjoy shooting your new rifle. It has some stunning wood. Look forward to hearing how she shoots and your first hunt report that you have taken with your new treasure.

The factory wood on mine is nice but not near as nice as yours. Due to eye sight issues I had Corlanes in Dawson creek mount a Trijicon 1x4 scope with a green triangle on mine. At 50 yards I get the shots out of both barrels 3/4 inches apart. Enjoy your beautiful rifle they are fun to play with.

Beautiful wood.

A very nice purchase! I bet you find yourself just handling it at various times of the day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg