The 470 has landed!

Have you had a chance to fire it yet? Or have you started working up loads for testing?

Just returned from the post office, will share a few pics! Wood is nicer than I hoped! Hopefully I can take some pics outside soon.

Merkel 140 AE , 470 Nitro Express. Two sets of wood. Have a bunch of woodleighs and swift a frame to load up . I can see the sights ok, I think I will still plan on setting up a dot/reflex sight.

Hope you enjoy a few pictures
View attachment 402667View attachment 402668View attachment 402669View attachment 402670View attachment 402671View attachment 402672
Absolutely stunning!!! I really want to get a double rifle someday. Merkels are great rifles.

Have you had a chance to fire it yet? Or have you started working up loads for testing?

I have made a range of loads with imr 4831and 500 grain woodleighs and Swift A-Frames. Also have a box of federal A-Frames that cost me $300 to my door, lol.

Have ordered a Kahles helia red dot as well as a Henneberger mount, and a Rusan qd mount as well. If I like both set ups I will just get a spare sight I think. The rifle has a little 15 mm dovetail on the removable plate near the breech.

Will have it out in the woods this week to try it out, really looking forward to it!! Will have my chrony set to check the loads as well.

Just love those big 470 cases!

MB, please send pics with the Kahles mounted when you can. That seems to be the best sight.

MB, please send pics with the Kahles mounted when you can. That seems to be the best sight.
I will for sure as soon as it gets here! Will be interesting to compare the two mounts as well, will take pics with both mounts, if they fit, as well.
Very reasonable price for the Kahles as well.

I too just acquired my first double, a 89 b in 500 NE. Concerning the regulation target, mine had 2 holes but was done with ammo I will never hunt with. I put a trijicon rmr on and this thing tells the truth about where your shots are hitting. I would certainly encourage you to use one, especially for your hand load workup and regulation. Beautiful rifle, congrats . You will love it!
Great news Seth, please wont you share a few pictures of your 500?

Made it out to the woods this morning for work, and tried a couple shots out of the 470.

Set up a target approx 50 meters. Loaded one round in the right barrel, and a dummy round in the left. Was worried about doubling with my first shot, from some of the stories I had read. Was a bit nervous and shot a bit high. Tried the dummy round and the trigger had not been set off, .

Recoil was there , but I don't think as harsh as my 458 Lott, rifle didn't seem to flip much at all , came straight back.

Loaded the left barrel with a dummy in the right barrel, felt more comfortable with that shot and it hit a little left and approx three inches lower than my first. Maybe 3/4 of an inch to the left . These were factory federal A- frames.

My Kahles has came in, so I will mount that possibly tonight , then try out my loads I made with woodleighs and aframes.

Put a big grin on my face that's for sure!

Had to get to

Will try and get this mounted for the next time I shoot . Have a henneberger mount and a rusan. Will hopefully try them on tonight.

Order went through on Monday to Optics Trade EU, it shipped from Slovenia on Monday and was in Edmonton Wednesday, delivered this morning while I was at work. That is unbelievable. Less than 4 days from Europe to my house. Canada post can take 3 days within my own city.

PXL_20210528_020645443.jpg

PXL_20210528_020701119.MP.jpg

PXL_20210528_020710582.jpg

Machinistbutler, I think we are all a little about the first couple of shots out of a large caliber rifle. Now that you know what to expect and have optics on it to boot I'll bet your shots will group a lot better. How about some pics. with the optics mounted followed up by those of your targets once you get everything dialed in?

Machinistbutler, I think we are all a little about the first couple of shots out of a large caliber rifle. Now that you know what to expect and have optics on it to boot I'll bet your shots will group a lot better. How about some pics. with the optics mounted followed up by those of your targets once you get everything dialed in?

I will for sure! I have the first target in my truck so I can take a pic of it as well. Will try the two mounts in next hour and see how they look.

I remember the first time I shot a 375 H&H , I was holding perfectly on the bullseye when I closed my eyes and yanked the trigger.

The henneberger mount is a little lower, not sure if it would make a huge difference but feels a little better to me. It can be mounted with nut on right or left,.and the kahles can be mounted in either direction due to two set of mounting holes.
The mount is part aluminum, part steel, the clamping jaw is steel. I am not sure if lighter weight would be an asset , I have had heavy things move under heavy recoil.

The rusan mount is nice, the sight can only be placed one way on it. The screw lever is indexable, however it must be indexed while it is turned out, if you try and index once it is close to being tight it will not work. I believe with my qd warnes I can index even once they are fully tightened.

The kahles seems fantastic, it has a 2 moa dot, the dot seems very precise on its lowest setting, and seems to get much bigger under full brightness settings . I don't notice a flare wearing glasses, dot is very crisp. The pictures I took don't do the dot justice.

I can't wait to try it out . Hopefully nothing moves. The kahles is so light I cannot see it causing any strain on the mount.

PXL_20210528_161610912.jpg

PXL_20210528_160127886.jpg

PXL_20210528_160108293.jpg

PXL_20210528_160937172.jpg

Rusan mount
PXL_20210528_160012945.jpg

Henneberger
PXL_20210528_155342457.jpg

PXL_20210528_155252541.jpg

Did some shooting today, very hot day here in Alberta, 30 celcius, hot for here anyways. Approx 60 meters , shot off the back of my pickup box . It wasn't the most comfortable versus the sticks, trigger guard whacked me a few times. The loads I used seemed to recoil a bit more than the federal factory, but not bad at all except for my middle finger . I have bad tennis elbow right now so my grip isn't the strongest, maybe that's why.

Used the Kahles helia Rd reflex sight, much easier to concentrate on a small target versus open sights with my eyes.

Loads were 104- 106 grains IMR 4831, new Hornaday brass, and the 500 grain woodleighs. The two shot groups were just over an inch, with no crossing. Left barrel shot a bit higher than the right, but probably because everytime I got whacked by the trigger guard I held tighter for the next shot. The 106 grain loads were around 2120 fps.104 grain around 2060
PXL_20210602_231017861.jpg
PXL_20210602_230745334.jpg

Also fired a.couple of 500 grain A-Frames with 103 grains IMR 4831. The group with the a frames was very close to the Woodleighs. I used two different pieces of paper , with one windage adjustment to the Kahles of about a couple inches, never touched the elevation so I guess I got lucky setting it up by eye.

PXL_20210602_230655063.jpg
PXL_20210602_220524502.jpg
PXL_20210602_224717091.jpg
PXL_20210602_222651919.jpg
PXL_20210603_003337821.jpg

I would say exceptionally well regulated I know mine can do basically a one hole at 55 yds with hand loads

I am very pleased so far. I will shoot some more with the a frames but I don't see hardly any difference between them and the Woodleighs.

Going to try it at 100 , 150 and see where it is hitting as well.

I am not sure if I want to increase velocity much more than I am at, but will see how it shoots further out. Recoil is very comfortable, glad I went with the 470. I think it weighs in at 11 pounds. Had my boy stand on the digital scale , then handed him the rifle to see where it was at.

She is good enough to hunt right now!

Machinistbutler I agree with you. While some might be getting slightly tighter groups YOUR DOG WILL HUNT! I too struggled with the question of what distance to sight in at. IMHO big bores like this are generally used for Dangerous Game, most of which is shot at less than 50 Yds. Knowing what this rifle will do at longer distances is helpful, but probably of limited use.

I should qualify my statements by saying that I have never hunted DG nor do I own a double rifle. For those that "have" and "do" feel free to comment. My two 404 Jeffery(s) and 416 Rigby are sighted in for 75 Yds.

I am very pleased so far. I will shoot some more with the a frames but I don't see hardly any difference between them and the Woodleighs.

Going to try it at 100 , 150 and see where it is hitting as well.

I am not sure if I want to increase velocity much more than I am at, but will see how it shoots further out. Recoil is very comfortable, glad I went with the 470. I think it weighs in at 11 pounds. Had my boy stand on the digital scale , then handed him the rifle to see where it was at.

She is good enough to hunt right now!
Those are all buffalo heart shots.
My buddy is looking at one of these MB, he is a big guy with long arms. I see your recoil pad is quite thick- was that to get a bit more lop on the standard stock? What is the lop on your's?

I measured length of pull to front trigger at 14 3/4" . It is a little longer than the original stock. The comb is a little higher on the fancier stock as well. It makes it very comfortable to shoot with the Kahles reflex sight.

Everything seems right when I shoulder it.

Do you guys prefer a sling on a double rifle ? I have always had a sling on my rifles, haven't tried that on the shoulder hang on to the barrels while hunting. It is very comfortable to hold that way, just not sure I would like it with someone in front of me.

That is a nice looking setup! Looks like a nice shooter also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross