The .300 H&H

Dont take it or me too seriously, just a pet peeve of mine. Its all good.:cool:
 
Last edited:
You can’t go wrong with the classic 300H&H. On my dads and I’s last trip to Namibia, he took his Rem 721 in the Super 30 and it was exceptional. We had loaded 220gr Hornady RNSN and 240gr Woodleigh PP. I took a baboon at 190yds with the 220s and he took his Gemsbok at 85yds with the 240gr Woodleighs.

CD50B34F-DF0D-4574-9406-0C6C96213541.jpeg
353C5C55-EC6F-470E-B03E-5AC0DF84ED8B.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have hundreds of once fired brass i could send you some but it tricky from Africa
Hi Henry

I just recently purchased a 300H&H on a Sako Finnbear action, here in SA. I'll be collecting her this coming week-end.

I don't have many cases for it, and I'm struggling to find some more. From your post in Sept 2021 it seems as if you might have some cases spare. Could you maybe assist by passing some on?
 
Last edited:
Hi Joe,

300H&H cases do pop up from time to time - you just need to keep an eye open and buy them when they come up.
PMP does/did make 300H&H brass - unfortunately you need to avoid this. Very thick case walls and huge variation in internal volume means they're a nightmare to reload with.
I have used Hornady and Norma brass extensively in the H&H. Both work ok but my preference is the Norma. But you probably need to use whatever you can get your hands on (excepting PMP).

You're welcome to give me a shout if you want any load info - happy to share what I have.
 
Can .375 H&H be sized down to .300 H&H ? Not an option for visiting hunters whose ammo must match the permit, but wondering if its an option for locals.
 
My favorite hunting cartridge. I own two-- a Winchester model 70 XTR Sporter, which I have used extensively across North America. It has proven itself more than accurate enough with a variety of bullets on everything from pronghorns to elk and big black bears. I recently un-mothballed a Remington 700 Classic from 1983 and took it on my first African hunt. Loaded with Barnes 180 gr TTSX bullets , it performed flawlessly on gemsbok, nyala, kudu, impala, waterbuck, zebra and sable. Everyone else can have their Win mags, RUMs, WSMs Weatherbys, and PRCs, but I see no such need. The Super 30 is perfect.
 
My favorite hunting cartridge. I own two-- a Winchester model 70 XTR Sporter, which I have used extensively across North America. It has proven itself more than accurate enough with a variety of bullets on everything from pronghorns to elk and big black bears. I recently un-mothballed a Remington 700 Classic from 1983 and took it on my first African hunt. Loaded with Barnes 180 gr TTSX bullets , it performed flawlessly on gemsbok, nyala, kudu, impala, waterbuck, zebra and sable. Everyone else can have their Win mags, RUMs, WSMs Weatherbys, and PRCs, but I see no such need. The Super 30 is perfect.
Recently acquired a 1938 Model 70 in 300 H&H with a period B&L Balvor scope. Looking forward to using this beauty on this falls moose hunt
 
I've owned several 30 caliber rifles from a 300 Savage to several 30-06 and a 300 Weatherby.

I always thought the 30-06 was the perfect do it all 30 caliber (within reason) so I sold all but the one Sako 30-06 I still own.

However I saw this beauty on guns international in 300 H&H that I had to have. I picked up some brass and dies. Off to the range next week to have some fun.

I think she is so sexy meaning the cartridge and now this rifle too.

Will I take it to Africa for Planis Game next year, time will tell.

Image 21.jpeg
Image 25.jpeg
 
I loaded 190 Hornady in my 30-06 for moose. Great in-between bullet weight. A little more punch than 180 gr but not the rainbow trajectory of 220 gr.

I suggest 180 gr Partitions in that Super 30. For more mileage I dropped down to 165 gr 30-06 Partitions before going to Africa. My Springfield killed two wildebeest dead in their tracks (third was dropped dead with my PH's 270 WSM standing in the next zipcode). Partitions can be messy at close range. Put the bullet behind the shoulder.
 
I've owned several 30 caliber rifles from a 300 Savage to several 30-06 and a 300 Weatherby.

I always thought the 30-06 was the perfect do it all 30 caliber (within reason) so I sold all but the one Sako 30-06 I still own.

However I saw this beauty on guns international in 300 H&H that I had to have. I picked up some brass and dies. Off to the range next week to have some fun.

I think she is so sexy meaning the cartridge and now this rifle too.

Will I take it to Africa for Planis Game next year, time will tell.

View attachment 692469View attachment 692470
Standard action Mauser? Very nice.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,332
Messages
1,573,229
Members
169,724
Latest member
MarcellaFr
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top