Terms I am tired of hearing

Not hunting related but gun related in Canada, people in gun selling ads using words like for sale one minty Winny shotgun. I just want to slap them along side the head.
Screenshot_20200207-193852_Facebook.jpg

There is one term i will never get tired of hearing though

"Bob is dead"

;)

Maybe he was smoked, or DRT, perhaps the CNS was disturbed.
Who cares! :A Banana::A Banana::A Banana:
PeteG.
Bob ain't dead I'm living the life in Australia.
So now if anyone says Bob is dead you can answer correctly.
Haha
Cheers mate Bob

people that refer to a projectile or a case as a round.
a round is case, primer, powder, and bullet fully assembled and ready to go.
people that refer to wind deflection as drift.
just wrong and displaying ignorance in both cases.
bruce.

3. Dugga Boy. When used to refer to a bull in a herd, or, one that is soft bossed, or, one without a spec of mud on him.

I agree wholeheartedly!! It seems to me that every buffalo shot in Africa is a "dugga boy"!! True dugga boys are few and far between, but every buffalo shot - either from a herd orfrom a small bachelor group - is a dugga boy. Bloody annoying!!

1." A .375 is all you need for any animal on Earth under ANY circumstances. Anything bigger is pointless "
- Yes , I know that good scores of African elephants and cape buffaloes are taken every year by client hunters with .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre rifles . I personally am 1 of the largest proponents and admirers of the .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre. I consider the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 to be the gold standard of hunting rifles for a shikaree intent on hunting the entire world with 1 rifle. The .375 Holland & Holland magnum deserves it's reputation as the most well liked shikar / safari rifle calibre of all time . However , the above quoted statement needs to be rectified. It is not designed as a charge stopper of heavy thick skinned game , such as gaur bison ( which can easily weigh over 2000 pounds , in the case of a fully grown male , which is around 700 pounds heavier than a Cape Buffalo ) or elephants , especially in the thickets . It is a good choice for PICKED SHOTS on game like gaur or elephants ( which is usually the kind of shooting afforded to client shikarees ) in open terrain . For frontal shots at charging gaur or elephants ( a task which is carried out by professional shikarees , who often need to perform said task in the most unfavorable of times ) , a bigger calibre employing a heavier bullet is always a good idea. For gaur , I would personally prefer at least a .450 calibre , employing at least a 500 grain bullet .
2." OO buck can flatten any charging leopard , any day "
I have genuinely wondered for MANY , MANY years since 1965 who originally came up with the idea of using letter shot on charging panthers , which can end up making you look like confetti if they get ahold of you .
If I ever met this person , then the only question which I would ask them , would be " How many charging leopards have you actually shot with OO buck shot successfully ? "
3. " Don't get a push feed rifle . They will jam on you "
What statements like this do is that they take an occurrence which happens under a VERY SPECIFIC SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES and generalize things as if this occurrence happens all the time .
While I personally do not prefer a push feed bolt rifle for dangerous game , the thought that it is unsuitable for ANY hunting is ludicrous , to say the least .
And for most client hunters , a push feed bolt rifle will leave very little ( if anything ) to be desired for even dangerous game .

A timely trite cliche every political season, BATTLEGROUND STATES. Will they ever come up with something better? Probably not, for all intents and purposes, other than providing employment, today's news media is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

A timely trite cliche every political season, BATTLEGROUND STATES. Will they ever come up with something better? Probably not, for all intents and purposes, other than providing employment, today's news media is as useless as tits on a boar hog.
I totally agree! Politicians being as "dodgy as a dog shot in the ring", and as useless as either "pockets in underpants", or "as tits on a bull"!! :)

Send it is for snipers? Funny, I don't remember reading about "spotters" during the last two big wars and Vietnam. Maybe the present day ones aren't that good of a shot and need a "helper"? Just wondering on that. Funny I never realized I was in their company at the range just about every time there's a couple of guys shooting assault rifles. That phrase does seem to fit them though.

This is from my limited time in service and only from a Marine Corps point of view. I have no knowledge on the Army/Navy side of things.. Maybe the General can comment.

The Marines operate as a team, shooter and spotter. If I remember correctly, the spotter might be the senior jarhead in the operation.

Absolutely correct. Both the Marines and Army operate as sniper teams. Teams are configured based upon the tactical situation, though normally a minimum of three - shooter, spotter, and flanker - are deployed. The spotter does indeed "spot," and though it could be fall of shot, it is normally to assist in confirming range, target, and conditions while the shooter focuses on the shot itself. The team, particularly the flanker, also acts as protection for the sniper. Those long range wonder rifles can be an encumbrance in a short range firefight.

That tactical organization evolved in the second world war haphazardly (our sniper efforts were pretty ineffective compared to the Soviets and the Germans), but was pretty standard in Vietnam.

And I am tired to tears of "In the salt"

715663AA-87EA-495B-AC9E-E87AB32F8C5C.jpeg

Someone mentioned “harvested” a few posts back (a little bit back?!) and it reminded me of a picture I had seen of a whitetail impaled on a corn harvester. I couldn’t find that specific pic but here is another I found while looking for it. Apparently whitetail bucks can in fact be “harvested” if you drive one of those big tractors fast enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 333434

Someone mentioned “harvested” a few posts back (a little bit back?!) and it reminded me of a picture I had seen of a whitetail impaled on a corn harvester. I couldn’t find that specific pic but here is another I found while looking for it. Apparently whitetail bucks can in fact be “harvested” if you drive one of those big tractors fast enough!
Personally I think using a combine is a little overkill, but hey, dead is dead right.
Can’t get more dead than dead.
definitely DRT.
Guess that combine was right on Minute of Deer.

I feel like everyone missed some low hanging fruit in this thread...maybe the lowest hanging

"Trophy hunter"

99.99% of the time this is used incorrectly, typically by the "antis". They could be talking about someone who cant afford to buy meat at the store hunting a doe/cow/hind to feed their family, or someone who wont pull the trigger on anything that wont go SCI Gold. And be wrong in both cases.

The specifics of this point could likely be debated for pages, but I think you all get what I'm saying here...a term that is truly a negative (and luckily is fairly rare for it to be accurate) gets applied to everyone that hunts. IMO even someone who does value score and size isnt a "trophy hunter" as long as they still carry the respect for the animals and dont purposefully waste useful things that arent horns or antlers (this of course can vary. Some cultures use EVERYTHING, some just the traditional meat of the animal, in some cases like predators and invasive species not using any of it still doesnt fall into "trophy hunter")

"Becoming one with nature" ... Typical tree hugging, hippie, touristy comment... Not until you get bent over by a hippo bull and the hippo having his way with you, you havent become one with nature

We have the kiwi lady that is having conniptions over the fact that "military style bolt action rifles are available in NZ and OZ. Hope she doesn't find out that the majority of them are also high powered
Tunatoy
Add tactical and with a sniper scope into the mix and really blow her narrow little mind
It's now
A high-powered tactical military style rifle complete with sniper scope.
BULLSHIT ITS MY HUNTING RIFLE
Cheers
Bob

I’m happy that Ours is a firearms licence , from Firearms registry. I own firearms, guns or rifles.
They do have a schedule of prohibited weapons. That would include most, military stuff , machine guns, semi autos adopted by the military. It includes silencers or suppressors and in NSW Australia it will drill down to crossbows , and even a slingshot and some items that might be used by martial arts people. The slingshot bit may be taking it too far I think.
CBH
Chris
I've had people say to me seeing you are Aboriginal why don't you hunt using traditional materials like spears or boomerang.
My reply is
I do.
I use a Speer.
Reply that's good.
My reply yeh but my Speer is a projectile traveling at 3,000fps out of my rifle. I have a chuckle at their stupidity and ignorance and walk away.
Cheers Chris
Bob

Send it is for snipers? Funny, I don't remember reading about "spotters" during the last two big wars and Vietnam. Maybe the present day ones aren't that good of a shot and need a "helper"? Just wondering on that. Funny I never realized I was in their company at the range just about every time there's a couple of guys shooting assault rifles. That phrase does seem to fit them though.

It's more of a Gulf War thing now with the long range sniping. Spotters read the wind and range so the shooter can dial it into his scope. He also helps locate targets and calls the shots. Another big thing is he keeps an eye out for tangos shooting back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RashadSalt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois