Terms I am tired of hearing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Firebird, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Firebird

Firebird AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Would like to hear some of the terms you get tired of-overused or maybe incorrectly used or used by the wrong people.
    Today the one that has my attention is "I hit him a bit far back." No shit. You hit him smack in the guts, it was a bad shot and the only reason you will find him is because you are on a private farm. Maybe you got lucky and you were in Africa and had world class trackers or well trained and experienced dogs. I hit a duiker a bit far back-no, I gut shot him plain and simple and thanks to Wik and the terriers who found him for me. It was my fault and I gut shot him and I am simply grateful you recovered him for me.
    And thats why the guy on tv that was closer to the butt hole than the pump house has made me angry. No new to marginalize the truth or make excuses.
    Too far back gets you maybe some lung or probably some liver and hopefully you still find your animal. Guts gets you guts and causes suffering and slow death and most likely a lost animal. It happens, it is our responsibility as hunters to practice until is becomes a very rare occurance.
    The same could be said for "its just a bit high_"

2. 35bore

35bore AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Terms i am tired of hearing, huh...

2 come to mind.

#1 "assault rifle" the "AR" in AR-15 stands for f***ing Armalite Rifle, nothing more nothing less than Armalite Rifle! The AR, DOES NOT let me repeat that,DOES NOT stand for assault rifle. Even if it did I'd have one hell of a law suit on my hand, because all of my AR's are defective. They have yet to assault anyone.

#2 " I've never wounded a game animal." You have 4 choices, either you have never tracked an animal after your "miss", you've never hunted, you haven't been hunting long, or you are some kind of super hero that needs too write a book.

Cam Moon, Emlet, Tom Hawk and 18 others like this.

3. Firebird

Firebird AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I did one " a bit high" as well. Thanks again to Wik and the tireless, patient and non judgemental trackers who did not make fun of me while they helped recover my red hartebeest. It was my fault and I did it and I own it, hope I didn't try to pretend otherwise or make excuses. It is mounted by the way, I need to go pay for and pick it up. . .
    BUT the other term I am feeling no love for is "MOA." I bought a rifle guaranteed to be MOA with a certain type of factory ammo. I guess I don't know what that means because in this case it means a three inch group at 100 yards. I guess it means something different to the guy I bought it from. I much prefer the term under an inch at 100 yards. Or maybe, I can cover three shots with a quarter at 100 yards.
    I do not care for associated terms like " minute of squirrel" or "minute of vitals." I also hate it when people tell me an elk is a big animal so the vitals are big and easy to hit. . .
    Then again maybe its just that other people have watched too much tv and figure that any rifle that is sighted in has become "MOA". You know "mounted on abjective" or something along those lines. Oh well, tongue in cheek aside, that rifle did come around with some hand loading and a new trigger and maybe not quite moa, but at least I can hit a can of chili with it at 200 yards now. Minute of chili or is that minute of can?
    Anybody else tired of hearing something long over abused?

Tom Hawk, David AK 53 and Laeveld like this.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    I had the misfortune of managing to pull off a shot that was “a bit high” on my trip to England to hunt Roe Deer.
    This incredible feat was performed at under 60 yards off of a nice steady pair of sticks at a standing animal.
    No big rush, just an absolute failure to follow fundamentals. Don’t yank the trigger, this is not a laser gun you are shooting.
    Thankfully, after checking for blood we were able to determine my “bit high” was an out and out ultra embarrassing miss.
    Thankfully, my pride was the only thing wounded that day.

No excuses, I just sucked.

Tom Hawk, Fastrig, Fritz Rabe and 8 others like this.

5. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    Slippery slope.

6. TTundra

TTundra AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
    "It just went off"
    -Every negligent discharge ever, claiming to be accidental...

7. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    I used that one the night I got back home from Safari!

Cam Moon, Fastrig, Mort Hill and 9 others like this.

8. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    You traveled with a loaded weapon?

9. PHOENIX PHIL

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Leopard....the most impressive to me of the predators. An amazing combination of wits and physical braun to survive on its own the way they do. So while it’s not quite fingernails on the chalkboard, there’s just something about referring to them as Mr Spots that I find somewhat demeaning to such a creature.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019

10. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    Yeah, MOA ticks me. Why not just say it shoots a 1, 2 or 3 inch group at 100 yards. That is much more realistic and definitive. Dead right there is another one. Hell, yes, he's dead if you hit him right. He drops in his tracks (which could be another one).

Fastrig, Fritz Rabe, markm and 4 others like this.

11. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    The one that annoys me is "MOA at X distance." MOA is MOA, irrespective of distance to target.

Another MOA gripe. "It isn't exactly 1 inch at 100 yards, therefore MRAD is superior." True, but irrelevant. It's 1.047" at 100 yards, and 10.47" at 1000 yards. Close enough to assert 1" per 100 yards, with an extra half inch thrown in at 1000 yds.

Another MOA gripe. MOA scope with 1/4 MOA click is a FINER adjustment than an MRAD scope with .1 clicks.

1/4 MOA @ 1000 yds = 2.6"
    .1 mil @ 1000 yds = 3.6"

Tom Hawk, gizmo, jasyblood and 3 others like this.

12. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    +1

1. Mr. Spots. What you said Phil.

2. Two Pipe. I don't own one, but think of a plumber when the term is used.

3. Dugga Boy. When used to refer to a bull in a herd, or, one that is soft bossed, or, one without a spec of mud on him.

13. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    One I would have to politely disagree with is "never wounded an animal" Up until this year I could say that. I have been hunting since the 1960's and every animal I ever shot at I collected. Most all were one shot kills. I have hunted(CA/NV/WY/Texas and Africa), I have been hunting since the 1960's and I am no "super hero". This year I hit an Oryx and felt it was a solid hit. Tracked him for a ways then the blood trail ended. It still grinds at me that I did not recover him. So it had to be a poorer shot that what I thought. It was my 1st one and it bothers me a lot. I do hope it is my last one.

I do not like bullets called pills. I do not like it when so called experienced shooter call a mag a clip. I do not like it when someone calls a cartridge by the caliber it is and not the name of the cartridge. Such as I am wanting info on a 30caliber?? OK is it a 308win/30-06/300Norma mag/30carbine and such.

My 2 cents

CoElkHunter likes this.

14. BnC 04

BnC 04 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
    "DRT/dead right there".... Now we have damn acronyms for a kill? Sounds pretty stupid to me but guess I'm just getting too old to be part of the cool talking crowd.
    And last but not least, "harvested", I'm not a crop farmer, I have killed lots of game but have left all the wheat and garden veggies alone. Just another way to bow to the anti's fragile feelings.

15. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Well dang you beat me to one of my pet peeves, DUGGA BOY!:mad::mad::eek:(n)(n) I hate that! Sounds so phony, got me a dugga boy! Gonna go hunt me a dugga boy. Puke! :A Ill: Another I hear a lot of lately in reloading lingo is "node". Whatever happened to sweet spot? But no.. now its "I found the node". Yuk!!:Yuck: There are more but those come to mind right off!

mneilh and Dewald like this.

16. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Agree with all!

And I will add "Black Death" in there too, especially when used as a marketing term but also when the GWH (great white hunter) tells us he is gonna go kill him some black death DRT. :rolleyes:

Wish I could double like the "harvest." We kill things. It sounds to me like anyone who says harvest is embarrassed of what they do.

BWH, BnC 04, Wheels and 1 other person like this.

17. PHOENIX PHIL

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    But what pills will you use to collect your harvest from the combine?

spike.t and Bullthrower338 like this.

18. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

"BOILER ROOM"

Boiler room of what? A rat?......The Queen Mary?

Tom Hawk and Royal27 like this.

19. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Oh and "that bullet will cut meat."

What does that even mean??? I can see it now while being served a steak....

Waiter: Sir would you like a steak knife?

Hunter: Hell no! I have a .375 H&H that cuts meat! Ima just gonna use it!

Tom Hawk, GL1960, sgt_zim and 2 others like this.

20. TNDave

TNDave AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    :A Blowup:How about shot to s*#t??? :A Blowup: