Taking Trophies...or only pictures?

Bringing trophies home are great, but not the point of the hunt for me. Just one of many results.

We try and capture the memory of our hunts every way we can. Sometimes it's a trophy on a wall, or a rug on the ground. We take lots of photos and videos to remember.

I also like putting our experiences into words. I'm finding that my writing is getting longer and more detailed with each trip. My early trip reports were short and to the point. My most recent trip is taking a longer time to compete- 6 pages describing the hunt for a single animal, of 9 taken.

All of these ways to remember require the experience first. I'd take a hunt with no trophies any day over no hunt at all.

I won't shoot an animal (overseas) that I don't "want forever." Frankly, I don't really see the point of killing something...anything just to take its picture. Why not just go stalk them up close, take their picture and let them walk? The only difference would be the kill.

We as a demographic are getting our assess handed to us right now. If the "organized anti's" ever get wind of this, we're even more screwed than we are now.

Not that bringing trophies home and getting them mounted makes them happy, but at least we can claim full use and responsibility of the entire process.

Its more of a philosophical discussion than anything else.
This sounds a lot like the logic anti-hunters use to question every hunter (myself included). What about the meat provided, funds that help local communities either through donations or by income from the many jobs created by hunting, funding for anti-poaching efforts...you know, the sustainable utilization model of wildlife conservation? And as others have pointed out, isn't hunting about an experience - including the kill - and not just a mount? That being said, I have made plans to mount everything from my first few hunts with 2 exceptions (sold as non-exportable). But at this rate, I'm pretty sure my house will be overrun with mounts by the time I get all that taxidermy back. :D

Anyways, interesting philosophical discussion as you also noted!

One big advantage of photos only, you don't get bent over by every hand in the pie when it comes to shipping them home. They all fit on an sd card. (y):D

Personally, I'm not a big fan of euro mounts. Euro mounts don't show the magnificence of the animal.

First animal, of that particular species, gets shoulder mounted and the hide saved for a special project, i.e. pouch/bag, shirt, gun cases, other items.

Better, bigger, unique quality animals of that species will also get shoulder mounted to go along side the first. Other than that I would prefer the full hide, horns/antlers, feet for projects.

Of course when possible I keep and eat the meat!

Photos and videos help preserve the memories, and prove how the hunt really happened.

(Or maybe, perhaps, aahh well "that's ah kinda of the way it happened), as the memory is told (around the "campfire") comes up in conversation after a few (alcohol content) drinks.:S Bs Flag:

+1 with Hogpatrol on the saving on all those added cost of taxidermy, and/or getting mounts shipped.

Better to at least have a photo on the wall to look at and remember, than to have nothing at all, for those of us with minimal living space, or a wife that doesn't like looking at dead animals on her walls.

Last edited:
No. You can't be charged by a screwed up photo. There are different reasons people hunt. You have yours and others have theirs. None are the "right" way to hunt.

Aside that, have you brought all those buffalo back? Personally, I can't wrap my head around shooting that many buffalo.

Have all of em. I feel a sense of responsibility to do so. There are 11 mounted in my trophy room and two in my cabin in the Arizona mountains. I have 2 at the Taxidermist, including my 49". I'm trying to come up with a way to display the 49" as to make it the first and most obtuse thing you see when you enter my room.

IMG_2678.JPG

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like the logic anti-hunters use to question every hunter (myself included). What about the meat provided, funds that help local communities either through donations or by income from the many jobs created by hunting, funding for anti-poaching efforts...you know, the sustainable utilization model of wildlife conservation? And as others have pointed out, isn't hunting about an experience - including the kill - and not just a mount? That being said, I have made plans to mount everything from my first few hunts with 2 exceptions (sold as non-exportable). But at this rate, I'm pretty sure my house will be overrun with mounts by the time I get all that taxidermy back. :D

Anyways, interesting philosophical discussion as you also noted!

OK, since we are being completely honest here. :D The local peoples getting the protein is not the reason any of us hunt...right? Its a nice benefit but has no bearing on me going. The conservation reason? Same, great talking point but its an excuse, not a reason (for me)

I honestly don't even engage the nut-job anti's anymore anyway. I don't need to justify my actions to anyone

I go because I love the adventure, the chase, the sights and smells. When I smell the grass fires, I know where I am. I also crave the last few moments before a shot, the anticipation and yes, the adrenaline of the kill. But along with all that, there is the overwhelming feeling of completing the task, getting these things home and on the wall.

Have all of em. I feel a sense of responsibility to do so. There are 13 mounted in my trophy room and two in my cabin in the Arizona mountains. I have 2 at the Taxidermist, including my 49". I'm trying to come up with a way to display the 49" as to make it the first and most obtuse thing you see when you enter my room.

Like your thinking. When guest walk into my place they are greeted by my blue wildebeest.

Hopefully I will get a hippo in 2020 to replace the bw. The plan is to have a hippo full shoulder mounted with a menacing wide open mouth.

Wonder on Halloween, if an audio recording of a hippo, door opens first thing the trick or treater's see and hear is a huge animal staring at them.:E Shocked::A Outta::E Rofl:

I won't shoot an animal (overseas) that I don't "want forever." Frankly, I don't really see the point of killing something...anything just to take its picture. Why not just go stalk them up close, take their picture and let them walk? The only difference would be the kill.

We as a demographic are getting our assess handed to us right now. If the "organized anti's" ever get wind of this, we're even more screwed than we are now.

Not that bringing trophies home and getting them mounted makes them happy, but at least we can claim full use and responsibility of the entire process.

Its more of a philosophical discussion than anything else.
Steve that is one of the more arrogantly self-indulgent posts that I have read here in a while. What do you think happens to the animals that people who have a different ethic than you (or perhaps a different income?) take while hunting Africa? I don't know anyone on this site who goes to Africa to leave carcasses rotting on the savannah. The fact that we may choose to photograph the hunt and the animal taken rather than hang its embalmed remains on the wall, seems hardly ammunition for our enemies. Indeed, living among all your deceased kills, however tastefully arranged, would likely strike them as a bit more repulsive than taking animals that are simply utilized fully by local communities.

But this is easy, if you want to bring everything home, have it mounted, and then quit the sport when you run out of tasteful display space - then fine - by all means do so. As you say, it makes you happy. But don't strike a superior ethical pose because you chose that way to memorialize a hunt and have the resources to indulge it. I have hunted all my life. I know I have taken over hundred whitetail alone - I have exactly six sets of antlers, and no shoulder mounts on the wall. And I'll continue to hunt whitetail till I can't because it is the hunt that I love - not collecting antlers.

I'll let you in on another little secret. The animal for which I have a photograph lives as faithfully in my memories as one of your shoulder mounts does yours. I don't have a lot of visitors to my trophy room, because the memories are there for me not for tasteful display (though, I am pretty good at that also). I truly could care less if you approve of that, and the sooner you quit being affronted by others not finding your memorialization decisions aren't right for them either, the better off we'll all likely be.

After all, you asked the question in your initial post. You have answers from people who have as much passion for our sport as anyone on the planet that differ from your own views. Perhaps those answers are worth a little reflection rather than rejection.

OK, since we are being completely honest here. :D The local peoples getting the protein is not the reason any of us hunt...right? Its a nice benefit but has no bearing on me going. The conservation reason? Same, great talking point but its an excuse, not a reason (for me)

I honestly don't even engage the nut-job anti's anymore anyway. I don't need to justify my actions to anyone

I go because I love the adventure, the chase, the sights and smells. When I smell the grass fires, I know where I am. I also crave the last few moments before a shot, the anticipation and yes, the adrenaline of the kill. But along with all that, there is the overwhelming feeling of completing the task, getting these things home and on the wall.
A better post.

I, and a lot of others here and elsewhere, get just as much a sense of completion through a photograph or even a memory than we do a set of horns on the wall. You should try it should you run out of tasteful display space.

Steve that is one of the more arrogantly self-indulgent posts that I have read here in a while. What do you think happens to the animals that people who have a different ethic than you (or perhaps a different income?) take while hunting Africa? I don't know anyone on this site who goes to Africa to leave carcasses rotting on the savannah. The fact that we may choose to photograph the hunt and the animal taken rather than hang its embalmed remains on the wall, seems hardly ammunition for our enemies. Indeed, living among all your deceased kills, however tastefully arranged, would likely strike them as a bit more repulsive than taking animals that are simply utilized fully by local communities.

But this is easy, if you want to bring everything home, have it mounted, and then quit the sport when you run out of tasteful display space - then fine - by all means do so. As you say, it makes you happy. But don't strike a superior ethical pose because you chose that way to memorialize a hunt and have the resources to indulge it. I have hunted all my life. I know I have taken over hundred whitetail alone - I have exactly six sets of antlers, and no shoulder mounts on the wall. And I'll continue to hunt whitetail till I can't because it is the hunt that I love - not collecting antlers.

I'll let you in on another little secret. The animal for which I have a photograph lives as faithfully in my memories as one of your shoulder mounts does yours. I don't have a lot of visitors to my trophy room, because the memories are there for me not for tasteful display (though, I am pretty good at that also). I truly could care less if you approve of that, and the sooner you quit being affronted by others not finding your memorialization decisions aren't right for them either, the better off we'll all likely be.

After all, you asked the question in your initial post. You have answers from people who have as much passion for our sport as anyone on the planet that differ from your own views. Perhaps those answers are worth a little reflection rather than rejection.

As I stated, Philosophical discussion. I can see the subject doesn't sit well with some. My apologies if it offends you.

Never been to Africa. But have taken a number of elk, mule deer and pronghorn (no real trophies) in Colorado and Wyoming. My father in law has taken a number of trophy elk, moose and one dall and bighorn sheep. He has those mounted at his home. I have photos of my hunts with friends and the one hunt I was with him when he shot a 340 b&c bull elk. I carried the head and cape out to the horses. I have nothing against having every animal taken by a hunter mounted. But for me, it IS the memory of each hunt that is special. When I concentrate about a specific hunt and look at the photos, it’s like it just happened yesterday. To ME, that is what’s important and special.

Bringing trophies home are great, but not the point of the hunt for me. Just one of many results.

We try and capture the memory of our hunts every way we can. Sometimes it's a trophy on a wall, or a rug on the ground. We take lots of photos and videos to remember.

I also like putting our experiences into words. I'm finding that my writing is getting longer and more detailed with each trip. My early trip reports were short and to the point. My most recent trip is taking a longer time to compete- 6 pages describing the hunt for a single animal, of 9 taken.

All of these ways to remember require the experience first. I'd take a hunt with no trophies any day over no hunt at all.

rinehartOO50, l went the other way, my first trip to SA was only 7 days in 2017, I took about 60 photos and somewhere around 30 minutes of video and wrote in detail about 60 pages about my trip from start to finish.

On my second trip to SA, was 12days in 2018, I took about 90 photos ,somewhere around 80 minutes of video and bulleted about 14 pages about my trip from start to finish.

So far, my 21 day trip to SA in 2020, I have 4 pages, mostly pre planning checklists, and some notes, of who, what, when; to contact, and clothing and hunting gear to pack.

I'll be at 3 different outfitters 4 or 5 different lodges. Obviously I'll have more to write about. But, I may just take more photos and videos and let those tell the story of my trip.

Last edited:
No. You can't be charged by a screwed up photo. There are different reasons people hunt. You have yours and others have theirs. None are the "right" way to hunt.

Aside that, have you brought all those buffalo back? Personally, I can't wrap my head around shooting that many buffalo.

Just wondering why you can't get your head around hunting that many buff?......

@spike.t I can't get my head around one person hunting that many buffalo trophies, having them all mounted and bringing them back to the U.S. for display. Similar to what was in another post, I've hunted and taken hundreds of different animals here in the states, a lot of nice deer racks. I have one deer head, and a pig head mounted (and I can't give away the pig head. It's been sitting on the floor in my reloading room for three years).

@spike.t I can't get my head around one person hunting that many buffalo trophies, having them all mounted and bringing them back to the U.S. for display. Similar to what was in another post, I've hunted and taken hundreds of different animals here in the states, a lot of nice deer racks. I have one deer head, and a pig head mounted (and I can't give away the pig head. It's been sitting on the floor in my reloading room for three years).

Oh ok.....thought you meant the number actually hunted.... Not the bringing all trophies back

I will agree that the main reason I hunt Africa is because I love to hunt - the same way as you so aptly described in the last part of your post. Those other points I made are also part of why I hunt. Perhaps for some they are simply nice benefits, but for me I enjoy connecting with people through hunting. It's as much a part of the experience of hunting as taking the shot. For me, the taxidermy is a nice benefit.

As I stated, Philosophical discussion. I can see the subject doesn't sit well with some. My apologies if it offends you.
The subject isn't the issue.

I've read through my post you "disapprove of" and cant find any part of it that could be defined as arrogant. It's obvious, or should be, that me stating "not bringing stuff home" equates leaving a rotting carcass out there. As far as trophy rooms go, a total of perhaps 4-5 people have been through it. It was a stop on a local SCI chapter "trophy room tour" that they coerced me into.

We simply disagree and you, with your response have made it antagonistic. BUT, you are obviously one of the "Respected Old Hands." I've been around on these forums and know how forum credibility works. To use your own words...I truly couldn't care less if you approve of me. And the sooner you allow your closed mind to open to all opinions, not just yours or those that you agree with, you too will become richer via others opinions and experiences.

Yes, I have been fortunate enough to have hunted this blue planet. My goal on these forums is to potentially help others not make some of the same tragic mistakes I have made, along my path. If, by one post you disapprove of, renders me guilty of the crime of having an opinion, what good are these exchanges of opinions?

I read many things on here that I strongly disagree with, but I pick my battles.

I stand by my post, unapologetic.

I hunt because I love to hunt. I want to spend time in Africa, as wild Africa as possible. To paraphrase a writer, I can think of nothing better than to pursue game with a gun in good country.

You have to add to that that I already have more taxidermy than I can possibly put up, and have started to put some up at my pheasant club. Should I stop doing what I love just because there is no room on the walls? And how many kudu mounts does one need anyway? Additionally, the beauty of not looking for trophies is that you can hunt more and pay less by taking non-trophy animals.

Most importantly though, is that if we, as hunters, really believe that hunting is conservation, then we should hunt and give value to these animals even if we don't personally want to keep any part of the animal. In other words, hunting is what creates and maintains habitat for wildlife outside of protected areas, and that has nothing to do with trophies.

Trophies are memories. Memories can be hard, as in a mount, or not, as in pictures. Either works for me. Both benefit wildlife and the people who live with wildlife.

Some like Ford, some like Chevy. To each his own. Whether one head, one picture, a hundred heads, or a hundred pictures. No two of us are alike. God made us this way. Opinions are just that. Our feelings expressed in words. I take no offense at any post on here because these are just experiences, feelings, opinions. As a community of hunters, a true bunch of emotionally charged guys and gals, we can agree to disagree without anyone getting offended that they are being seen as any less of the individual than they are. As my sons love to quote the movie Stripes when I lose my grip with this premise, “ lighten up Francis!” It always grounds me and I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross