Swift AFrame / North Fork test

A butt ton of research has gone into the design of the NF solid and it's very similar designed competitor from Cutting Edge Bullets. I know that Kevin Robertson, aka Doctari, has spoken very highly of them and he has as much experience with shooting solids as anyone currently living with what he does for a living.

The flat meplat design along with the shoulder angle was developed to maximize depth of penetration as well as straight line. I think your making a very good choice with the North Fork.
Thanks Phil. I'm completely comfortable with that choice.

Quoted from another hunter

Matt 85 if you will look at my picture posts you will see the results of my use of Hornady DGX and DGS 416 Ruger. In fact just look at the horns I'm holding in the photo under my name. The 400 gr DGX did the job on my lioness and I used both DGX and DGS on the Cape buffalo. In short the results were outstanding. I did recover one of each but I don't have a photo with me at the moment. The DGS recovered from the Cape buffalo was from a head on chest shot. It was removed from just behind the end of the sternum about two inches under the skin and was 85% intact. That slug traveled a long way through the thickest part of the animal and did a great deal of damage. I was very pleased with the results on two of the big five. The whole idea is to put the animal down. I anchored the lioness with a DGX round through the shoulders at 85 yards. It broke both her shoulders and passed through a lot of bone. It hit right where I was aiming with the Leupold VX6 scope. That sir is the result you want. As an aside I should tell you that my PH was using an FN Browning 458 Lott and he was carrying Hornady rounds with him.
Now as for miss fires I have experienced none. The 416 is a new rifle for me so I put three boxes through it prior to my April trip and about 15 more rounds while there. A total of 75 rounds with no problems.
I also took my Ruger 300 win mag with a box of the 180 grain SST rounds. No problems there either. Good luck to you on your hunt whatever brand you decide to use.
Quoted from another hunter

Read several posts like this from hunters using Hornady ammo on DG, and the nay sayers were talking about misfires, not bullet performance.
Hornady himself hunts DG with his own ammo. I used Hornady for years on non DG game, with stellar results. I most like Barnes bullets when I reload with stellar results, I have heard negative about them. Owner of Barnes used his bullets on DG.
PH's use Hornady ammo. Bottom line: Use what makes you feel most confident, Federal makes a TBBC in 375 that is a good bullet, as the saying goes though "use enough gun"

Read several posts like this from hunters using Hornady ammo on DG, and the nay sayers were talking about misfires, not bullet performance.

Oh there is plenty of posts on poor bullet performance of Hornady.

Is it the worst bullet ever made? Probably not. Does it deserve to be called a premium bullet? In my opinion, no way. Too many examples of bullet failure.

Have you personally had bullet failure using Hornady bullets?????

Have you personally had bullet failure using Hornady bullets?????

No. I've chosen to use bullets that are superior to Hornady. Hard to have a personal failure when I won't use a product.

Tell me, have you ever seen an A-frame, Northfolk, or Barnes that look like the below? I've seen lots of Hornady that do.

downloadfile-5 (1).jpg

If Hornady is your choice for DG and you believe them to be a suitable choice then by all means use them. I won't.

I have to agree with Royal27. I've seen way too many posts here on Hornady bullet failure. The post that sticks out most comes from my friend and fellow member gizmo. I suggest you read his thread on his buffalo and lion hunt with Hornandys. They failed miserably. I also spoke with a very reliable source that A very well known tv hunting personality claims he's using Hornandys while hunting because their a sponsor, but in reality he's shooting Swift A frames on DG. I also understand your personal experience with Hornandys are stellar and your a fan. I too would never use them and risk losing the animal or worse someone getting hurt or worse. I've never heard a bad review on A frames and they were highly endorsed by Superior ammo. I certainly respect your opinion as you sound like some who has extensive experience hunting DG. I trust in my choice on both sofas and solids....Now all I have to do is do my job.

Not at all. I have no beef with you (y)

That's funny. You'd be hard pressed to convince him to use Hornandys again.

I've never heard a bad review on A frames and they were highly endorsed by Superior ammo

Hey @johnnyblues ,

I'm curious. Do the superior guys have a personal preference between northfolk and aframe at all, or do they just say shoot what is most accurate?

I do not mean to start any ill feelings at all gentlemen. I only commented to bring the issue forward that many stories about failure are without merit. Not that anyone here has done that.
May I say, that I prefer a homogeneous bullet to hunt with, and I shy away from jacketed bullets at times. That said, jacket separation is the culprit with jacketed bullets, and most are never recovered, only poor performance is noted.
I have not hunted DG yet, so I must yield to those that have, but having hunted North America, I do see bullet performance first hand. Hunting non DG does not require defensive shots, but does at times warrant an anchor shot.
My preference for handloads are Barnes bullets, but because I have used Hornady box ammo more than any other, I can recommend it from the non DG stance. I encourage all here to use what gives you the most confidence, and from my limited knowledge that confidence may save your life in a DG situation.
I just hesitate making judgements on things I have not witnessed. I cannot judge the adrenalin rush of a Cape Buffalo hunt, but I will, and until then I will listen to those that have, and compare it with what gives me confidence.
I hope some more of the fraternity can share their experiences in this matter

Hey @johnnyblues ,

I'm curious. Do the superior guys have a personal preference between northfolk and aframe at all, or do they just say shoot what is most accurate?
Don't forget the AFrames are softs. I really didn't discuss options on soft points with them as the results on them are so good. Now if they didn't shoot well I could have either had them develop additional primer/ powder loads or asked about loading a different bullet. As far as solids go they really liked Northfork as a high quality bullet with very good results. Just out of familiarity if Barnes would have grouped well I would have gone with them. I've had great results with them in my 300WSM.

Last edited:
Getting there. Reordered more ammo then I'll try and see if it's me. In any event with those groups it's dead game.

It sort of sounds like you've settled on the Northforks. Will Superior now provide you with "sample packs" of various charge weights and or seating depths? As a long time reloader working up a load for a new rifle I'd be looking to tweak the charge weights and or bullet seating depths to achieve optimal accuracy. I understand that for hunting purposes many might settle for the accuracy currently displayed.

Honestly I'm satisfied with the accuracy of what they sent. Remember my shot on hippo will be under 35 yards. Buffalo under 85

Honestly I'm satisfied with the accuracy of what they sent. Remember my shot on hippo will be under 35 yards. Buffalo under 85

Don't forget the AFrames are softs. I really didn't discuss options on soft points with them as the results on them are so good. Now if they didn't shoot well I could have either had them develop additional primer/ powder loads or asked about loading a different bullet. As far as solids go they really liked Northfork as a high quality bullet with very good results. Just out of familiarity if Barnes would have grouped well I would have gone with them. I've had great results with them in my 300WSM.

Yeah, I get you weren't trying softs of both, and was just curious if they'd shown a preference or is the initial choices were just yours. I really don't think you can go wrong as you've said.

I'm kinda the same way with Barnes. I'm not a die hard fanboy like I get accused of (@spike.t ), but in the rifles I have they are lights out and I was lucky enough to find some Barnes solids for my .375 H&H a few years ago. When I get around to developing a load for my Lott it will likely be Swift, Northfolk, or CEB as I want a soft/solid combo. So I'm not even going to try Barnes unless the ATF issue with the Banded Solid gets resolved.

c
Yeah, I get you weren't trying softs of both, and was just curious if they'd shown a preference or is the initial choices were just yours. I really don't think you can go wrong as you've said.

I'm kinda the same way with Barnes. I'm not a die hard fanboy like I get accused of (@spike.t ), but in the rifles I have they are lights out and I was lucky enough to find some Barnes solids for my .375 H&H a few years ago. When I get around to developing a load for my Lott it will likely be Swift, Northfolk, or CEB as I want a soft/solid combo. So I'm not even going to try Barnes unless the ATF issue with the Banded Solid gets resolved.
Cant belive I agree with you again. LMAO;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross