Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hey guys, had superior ammo load up some rounds for my up coming buff / hippo hunt. Had 10 rounds of Swift AFrames with different powder/primer combos and 10 rounds of solids in Barnes and north forks. Here's some photos as you can see they slowly got better. Just reordered and will spend more time at the range once I have more ammo
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG

Last edited:
Good start!

I think so too. Shoulder getting sore but even like this it's a dead buff or hippo.

Taking along my 270 WSM for plains game too

IMG_0686.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, had superior ammo load up some rounds for my up coming buff / hippo hunt. Had 10 rounds of Swift AFrames with different powder/primer combos and 10 rounds of solids in Barnes and north forks. Here's some photos as you can see they slowly got better. Just reordered and will spend more time at the range once I have more ammo View attachment 172470View attachment 172471

What Caliber? What distance? The North Forks grouped pretty good. What does Green mean?

375 Ruger. Black and green were different powder primer combos Superior loaded. 100 yards.

@johnnyblues,

Is this kind of a start to load development and Superior will tweak the loads from here? Or is the Swift "green" load and the NF solid load considered finished and what you'll hunt with. Just curious to know how the process works with Superior.

Phil basically your right. The green shot well enough I guess considering I was short on ammo. I would assume if you wanted a number of different loads they could do it. As a matter of fact they put together 4 different powder/primer combos for my 300WSM which I never got around to trying yet. Also keep in mind shots on both buff and hippo will be at close range. Marius said we will stalk the hippo at night to 25 yards and the buffalo will be at 50/80 yards. IMO those "final " shots will kill either one of them. Don't get me wrong I plan to fine tune my groups once I get more ammo. I believe the gun will shoot 1-1/12 inch groups. Even if it's a little bigger those are dead trophies.

Gotcha

This post was the first time I heard about Superior Ammo. I was curious, so I looked them up online. For a non reloader this looks like a very good if not the best way to go. Depending on the size of their sample packs using Superior could be considerably cheaper that buying a box of the various manufacturer's loaded rounds and only using half or less of them. This is especially true tor the 375 & up "crowd."

One can always learn something new on AH

I would keep trying with the Barnes bullets, my model 70 is MOA with both 270gr, and 300gr. I could never get Nosler Partition to group well in my model 70, and have never tried A-Frames, but those Barnes bullets have great penetration, and weight retention.
I believe Barnes bullets have been pushed to the side a bit on DG, and I can attest thru my many one shot stops on non DG game, that the penetration is pass thru, and is frankly amazing for the penetration on quartering shots. I would load 300gr Barnes, or now they offer the 350gr TSX.

The only issue I have with Barnes is that they do not offer a solid in 375, but I have no issue with penetration thru hide, and bone with Barnes TSX. If I was concerned about penetration on "second shots" on DG, I may look to Woodleigh for a solid, although I have no experience with the Woodleigh in 375.

Thanks for your input. Speaking with superior ammo company they claim to have had great results with the Northfork solids from clients. If you look at the targets you will see that Superior loaded Barnes solids for my 375 Ruger. I just was not happy with the groups obviously. Again speaking with them I asked about woodlieghs and that said either one will work great. When I spoke to Marius he was happy with the bullet selection. Would love to hear from members who have used Northfork solids. Swift AFrames are always loved by hunters and PH's.

In box ammo Hornady offers the DGS in 300gr for the 375 H&H, that would give a solid. I have used them in my Lott with good accuracy.

Thanks for your input. Speaking with superior ammo company they claim to have had great results with the Northfork solids from clients. If you look at the targets you will see that Superior loaded Barnes solids for my 375 Ruger. I just was not happy with the groups obviously. Again speaking with them I asked about woodlieghs and that said either one will work great. When I spoke to Marius he was happy with the bullet selection. Would love to hear from members who have used Northfork solids. Swift AFrames are always loved by hunters and PH's.

A butt ton of research has gone into the design of the NF solid and it's very similar designed competitor from Cutting Edge Bullets. I know that Kevin Robertson, aka Doctari, has spoken very highly of them and he has as much experience with shooting solids as anyone currently living with what he does for a living.

The flat meplat design along with the shoulder angle was developed to maximize depth of penetration as well as straight line. I think your making a very good choice with the North Fork.

In box ammo Hornady offers the DGS in 300gr for the 375 H&H, that would give a solid. I have used them in my Lott with good accuracy.
Horrible reviews from members on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you