Swift AFrame / North Fork test

It sort of sounds like you've settled on the Northforks. Will Superior now provide you with "sample packs" of various charge weights and or seating depths? As a long time reloader working up a load for a new rifle I'd be looking to tweak the charge weights and or bullet seating depths to achieve optimal accuracy. I understand that for hunting purposes many might settle for the accuracy currently displayed.
To answer your question yes of course Superior will gladly load different charges.

Guys I did a bunch of load development with a 375 H&H before taking it Zim last fall. Mmal now has that rifle and it is shooting factory ammo well. I am completely sold on the NF softs and solids. One thing that hasn't been divulged on this thread yet is how low the Standard Deviations in velocity are with the NF's and how they can achieve more velocity with less powder. Also very simply to get to same POI for softs and solids. I have posted this before but will do it again. 12 animals very dead with Northfork SS and CPS's .
Buff 300 gr SS high through both lungs and 2 raking shot through the rumen into the boiler room with 300 gr CPS, one of which took off the top of his heart. Dead Buffalo

Eland with a soft into the front shoulder and couple follow ups with solids and down. Big Stink bull Giraffe, 5 cps from all angles and piled up within 100 yards. 9 more animals from waterbuck, zebra down to duiker and klipspringer. All one shot and done

I can't say enough good about my experience with the accuracy and field performance of the North forks!! Try them and you won't be disappointed

Eland with a soft into the front shoulder and couple follow ups with solids and down. Big Stink bull Giraffe, 5 cps from all angles and piled up within 100 yards. 9 more animals from waterbuck, zebra down to duiker and klipspringer. All one shot and done

I can't say enough good about my experience with the accuracy and field performance of the North forks!! Try them and you won't be disappointed
Thanks for that report on Northforks. You have reinforced my choice on bullet selection.

DSC03124.JPG
DSC03125.JPG

softs went through some heavy bone on Buff and Eland, solid's came from Giraffe and Eland, saw one other soft under the offside skin of the Zebra, those where the only bullet's recovered

View attachment 173312 View attachment 173313

softs went through some heavy bone on Buff and Eland, solid's came from Giraffe and Eland, saw one other soft under the offside skin of the Zebra, those where the only bullet's recovered

The NF's just give boringly consistent performance don't they? I've not used any of their solids as yet. But of the various bonded cores I've recovered, they all look just like yours.

I like you have seen that even in comparison to the shorter A-Frame, I use less powder to obtain the same velocity with more room to go before pressure signs show. Just a great bullet.

Nothing to fear @johnnyblues, the A-Frame is in my opinion a great bullet too. It would be a very close 2nd to my preferred NF's.

The NF's just give boringly consistent performance don't they? I've not used any of their solids as yet. But of the various bonded cores I've recovered, they all look just like yours.

I like you have seen that even in comparison to the shorter A-Frame, I use less powder to obtain the same velocity with more room to go before pressure signs show. Just a great bullet.

Nothing to fear @johnnyblues, the A-Frame is in my opinion a great bullet too. It would be a very close 2nd to my preferred NF's.
Thanks Phil, yep I m good to go with the Swift A frames as my soft choice bullet and the North forks as my solid. I have my reorder on ammo from Superior due on Tuesday. Next decent Saturday I ll hit the range again.

Reactions: BWH
View attachment 173312 View attachment 173313

Now if North Fork would only make a nice 600g Soft Point for my 500 Jeffery :( Until then I'll be using the 570g A-Frames which should work fine on my elk hunt this fall :)

Sorry to be the idiot, jumping in late..... yalll saying. Aframe softs first. Followed by the NF Solids......

Any chance some one could elaborate a bit on this? Im obviously a bit slow...

Thanks
Pat

ATF I believe banned the Barnes banded solid saying they were armor piercing I believe it was.

Any chance some one could elaborate a bit on this? Im obviously a bit slow...

Thanks
Pat

The banded solid is currently banned by ATF here in the states. The governemt is afraid a terrorist might ise it as an armor piercing bullet. :rolleyes: I was referring to wanting a soft/solid combination from the same bullet manufacturer, and since the Barnes solid isn't currently being made here...

Sorry to be the idiot, jumping in late..... yalll saying. Aframe softs first. Followed by the NF Solids......

I just want a combo that shoots to the same POI, which I would at least think is more likely with same manufacturer.

But if a rifle shoots the combo you mentioned, heck yeah!!!

The banded solid is currently banned by ATF here in the states. The governemt is afraid a terrorist might ise it as an armor piercing bullet. :rolleyes: I was referring to wanting a soft/solid combination from the same bullet manufacturer, and since the Barnes solid isn't currently being made here...

So are they just banned from selling them or is it illegal to have them/shoot them at targets/game

So are they just banned from selling them or is it illegal to have them/shoot them at targets/game

To my recollection it only made the manufacture of the bullet illegal and even then not all calibers? As is pretty typical it was "under review" my ATF. You could still buy them, Barnes just couldn't make them.

I just looked at Barnes website quickly you see if I could find any news and I couldn't. They used to have a letter up.

Interesting to note the ammo shot exactly the same after reordering. First photos show the "test ammo and the second photos show my results from last week. I made a one inch high adjustment before leaving.

IMG_0687.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To my recollection it only made the manufacture of the bullet illegal and even then not all calibers? As is pretty typical it was "under review" my ATF. You could still buy them, Barnes just couldn't make them.

I just looked at Barnes website quickly you see if I could find any news and I couldn't. They used to have a letter up.

Thanks I have five boxes of the .510 caliber 570g Barnes Banded solids. No elephant hunts in my near future, but they shoot at the same velocity (2300 fps) and within 1/2" point of impact of my 570g A-Frames at 100 yards.

The governemt is afraid a terrorist might ise it as an armor piercing bullet.
This really has nipped terrorism in the bud, most terrorists are not yet ready to step from .375 up to .416(which are very much still being made). We all know that the preferred weapon of isis is the 375 H&H but the 375 Ruger has also been used to a lesser extent. I just pray that they don't ever start using the 416 Rigby because the Barnes solids shoot great out of my rifles that are chambered as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross