Sunglasses, yes, no, type?

For sure, year 'round, even in the usually gray PNW. Eyes have always been sensitive to light. I wear them while hunting but try to get them off for the final stalk. I wear glasses like many of us old farts so rather than go with photogray or similar I use wrap arounds "as seen on TV!" I had some HD's but lost them, and replaced them with a similar product called Solar Shields, twice now and they work fine for me.

For the longest time I shunned polarized lenses.
They made certain surfaces appear mirrored and messed with my depth perception.

Then I tried Costa's...love 'em.
Haven't tried them hunting yet, but I should have a chance soon.

In my younger days I wore various sunglasses,....for aahh....observing...the scenery at the beach, pool, various other locals...since starring is considered inappropriate behavior.

Now that I am required to wear bifocals. I have them in contrasting lens so they darken in bright sunlight and change to clear indoors.

I have problems with shooting using my glasses, so I have to take them off to accurately shoot.

Stalking and walking I have to wear my glasses to see where I going, so I use a ball cap to help with any light reflecting off my glasses.

I wear non-polarized Serengeti, or occasionally, Wiley-X ballistic sunglasses. I understand polarized lenses help protect against glare, however, they also make it much more difficult to read LCD screens. Any pilots reading this, will understand what I am referring to. If you have the need to read an LCD screen while on your hunts, such as with a Cellular telephone, gps, or you're piloting an aircraft, or driving a vehicle with LCD screens, to and from your hunting destination, I suggest a high quality pair of non-polarized sunglasses with good UV protection.

I also prefer amber, copper, or yellow colored lenses, depending on the clarity of the sun. If the sun is bright, I wear copper or amber lenses. If it's overcast, yellow lenses provide the best clarity, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I generally wear Oakley polarized glasses that have decent wrap around edges. But I do take consideration to my position relative to sun so as to prevent reflections. Similar to trying to keep my scope or binoculars from accidental glint of sunlight, and try to keep the sun at my back. ... I also keep the hat brim low to try and help myself out.

I don't wear sunglasses, I consider it uncomfortable.

I wore various oakleys for years (got used to them in the military.. and just kept the habit)... but started buying Smith a few years ago and found I like them better... ANSI rated protection that exceeds the MIL standard for shatter/breakage/etc.. outstanding UVA and UVB protection... and priced pretty decently (in line with oakley and other comparable brands)..

These are my current choice.. great for driving, or out on the water fishing, or on the outdoor range, etc..etc..

+1 for Smith sunglasses. Reasonable cost. They are good. Look for interchangeable lenses, you can get a pair with multiple shades. Rose colored lenses are good for eye protection, even if it is bright out, and they are not too dark when moving into the shade.

I use Maui Jim aviators.

I have had many pairs of Oakley over the last 20 odd years. I got fed up with how eazy they scratch, and how long it takes to get new lenses in South Africa. Then by chance my optometrist showed me some Maui Jims in March. I find their polarized lenses much better than Oakley.

Every since I had LASIK I cannot handle bright sunlight. Corrective surgery was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself but the sun is brutal on my new eyes. Oakley sunglasses all the way! I wear them everywhere.

I didn’t wear sunglasses for years because every pair I tried made things too dark for my liking. In retrospect I’m sure they were pretty cheap ones. 25 years ago I was in California on business, needed to kill some time before an appointment and walked into store at an outlet mall that sold only sunglasses. The first pair I picked up(cuz I liked their look) were Serengeti and they weren’t too dark, I bought them and don’t know what I’d do today if they broke or were lost. I’ve done some pretty extensive looking over the years and they are not to be found. The thought just occurred to me while typing that maybe the reason I haven’t been able to find another pair is because they are fakes.
I have problems with shooting using my glasses, so I have to take them off to accurately shoot.
I’m the same way.

Big no for me.
It messes with my ability to see into the shadows.
I have tried several types from cheap to expensive, polarized and not but i still prefer to hunt without them. Its also one less thing to have on me that i need to look after.
Fishing and driving, then i prefer to wear polarized glasses.

I wear Oakleys almost every chance I get, unless it's dark or I'm inside. I bought their new Sapphire Prizm Polarized in Rx, and they're wonderful! No glare...the colors pop...I'm all in. A week back while fishing I watched several trout swim up and take my bate. Still a clear picture in my memory!

Just tried my regular prescription glasses, they blur the front sight. I really want to try a couple of power ones but can you imagine walking into the pharmacy with my double, that would get more of a reaction than no mask.
Just tell the pharmacy your there for RX sunglasses and the COVID 19 vaccine.

I buy my sunglasses off the dollar rack or the gas station! No way I could afford what you guys are talking about!

I've used polarized sun glasses because of glare since I was a kid. Tried many different brands, all were pretty good. Maui Jims are very good. The best are Dillion Optics! You can get them with your prescription too.

I am pretty glare intolerant, I find it uncomfortable to be out in bright light to the point of not being able to open my eyes. So for decades I have worn sunglasses, and tried all sorts. My ultimate are Serengeti driver type, for clarity and even dull light definition enhancement. So for me sunglasses are more or less a must on a hunt. What do you find?

I agree and I understand as I’m very fair in the eyes.
I would get sunburnt /glare burn if I didn’t wear polarized glasses.

Persol for me.

I wear them day to day and for driving and the like. I can shoot in them quite happily and I do at the range, but I tend to slip them in a pocket for a final approach on game. It's just another thing to get in the way or lose on a crawl.

I've never worn dedicated shooting safety glasses, that seems to be an almost exclusively American thing.

I’ve always disliked sunglasses. What works best for me are rayban aviators. Cable temples so they don’t fall off. I pop out the lenses and replace with amber polarized lenses, the lightest color possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois