Still worth buying a 338 WinMag if I own a 375?

@CoElkHunter
Mate,mate,mate. I have never owned and will never have a 243 anywhere near me. I think you may be on the magic mushroom or wacky backy again.
Bob

You remind me of the young woman where I buy coffee! Toils her I have a fresh / Flipping pony tails (and she had a long pony tail).
Got a 2 minute non-stop lecture on how inappropriate it would be. I don’t know how or if she breathed!

Bit like a great white coming into a big, big bait!

No. 375 should kill an elk at 250 yards or less. That's where your shooting should be anyway. I use a 30-06 and it's killed a pile of moose and elk. Get one of those if you don't already have one.

I've lately been drawn to the 338WM as a more long range option for taking elk-sized game. I already own a 375H&H, is the 338WM unique enough to own as well?

it looks like the 375 produces about 10% more muzzle energy and while a flat shooter, is outperformed by the 338s higher BCs the further you reach out.

would you pick up a rifle in 338WM if you currently owned a 375?
No Reason for a .338 for hunting if you have a .375. Maybe for ringing steel.

No Reason for a .338 for hunting if you have a .375. Maybe for ringing steel.

Well like most of you I too share the "problem" and would just like to add a 338 to the stable, even if it overlaps with my 375.

I'm thinking moreso on differentiating on the rifle itself as my 375 is a rather long and bulky CZ550. I'm hoping to get a more all weather 338 WM with a shorter overall length and shorter barrel vs the CZ550.

Hoping to have it scoped, slinged and loaded for 9lbs or less.

I've been looking at the Ruger Guide Guns and Sako Kodiaks.

I own both. My 338WM is a Ruger 77 MKII and my 375 is a BRNO ZKK 602.

They are what I call "dream rifle".

When I have the Ruger in hands, I just start dreaming about grizzly bears.

When I have my 375 in hands, I start dreaming about Cape Buffalo.

I own both. My 338WM is a Ruger 77 MKII and my 375 is a BRNO ZKK 602.

They are what I call "dream rifle".

When I have the Ruger in hands, I just start dreaming about grizzly bears.

When I have my 375 in hands, I start dreaming about Cape Buffalo.
@Qc_BearHunter
Easy get rid of the 338WM, hold the 375 and dream of both on a month long hunt.
Bob

I told her I have a fetish - flipping ponytails
Stupid fat thumb and autocorrect

Well like most of you I too share the "problem" and would just like to add a 338 to the stable, even if it overlaps with my 375.

I'm thinking moreso on differentiating on the rifle itself as my 375 is a rather long and bulky CZ550. I'm hoping to get a more all weather 338 WM with a shorter overall length and shorter barrel vs the CZ550.

Hoping to have it scoped, slinged and loaded for 9lbs or less.

I've been looking at the Ruger Guide Guns and Sako Kodiaks.
Remember, the .338WM and same family of cartridges, i.e. .300WM, .264 WM, 7mmRM, etc., aren't designed for short barrels as they lose too much velocity. I have a 26" barrel on my Browning A Bolt .338WM (8.5lbs. scoped) and it's never been a hindrance for ME carrying it in the thick timber here or the thick brushy creek beds we crossed on my one PG hunt in Africa. I wouldn't go below a 24" barrel in those cartridges. Of course, the Ruger .375 and .416 WERE designed for the shorter barrels.

Also for discussions sake, is there anything the 7 RemMag does better than the 338 WinMag?

I have also been considering the 7 RM for the same role (500m+), flat shooting big game hunter.
The 7 mm RM is a great cartridge. I’ve handily taken many head of game from deer to elk and hartebeest up to zebra with mine. Fast and flat with low recoil.

In my modest arsenal, among the more potent rifles, are a 280AI, a 30-‘06, 2 7mm RMs, a 308 Norma magnum, a .375 H&H, and a 404 Jeffery. No .338! But I have been thinking about building one on a Ruger M77 mrkII that I have available.

I’m following this conversation with some interest. A retired game warden in WA state told me, “A .338 kills elk like a 30-‘06 kills deer”. He would know, he’s shot hundreds of elk.

I have both but my 338 is a light thin barrelled easy to carry thumper for moose, g-bear and elk. Yes I have shot moose and g-bear with my 375. I just like the lightness, easy to climb hills/mnts here at home with the 338 better. I don't shoot long range (past 250) so there is no "justified" reason, but who needs a reason to buy a gun???? Probably why I also have 300 WM and 300 WSM's.

MB

The 7 mm RM is a great cartridge. I’ve handily taken many head of game from deer to elk and hartebeest up to zebra with mine. Fast and flat with low recoil.

In my modest arsenal, among the more potent rifles, are a 280AI, a 30-‘06, 2 7mm RMs, a 308 Norma magnum, a .375 H&H, and a 404 Jeffery. No .338! But I have been thinking about building one on a Ruger M77 mrkII that I have available.

I’m following this conversation with some interest. A retired game warden in WA state told me, “A .338 kills elk like a 30-‘06 kills deer”. He would know, he’s shot hundreds of elk.
@Nevada Mike
And the 35 Whelen kills even better than the 338WM AND leaves you hat on your head.
Bob

Answer: no, not really. Unless, of course, you have an itch to own a new rifle/cartridge combination, in which case yes, absolutely.

My 7 1/2 lb Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby with a 24" barrel, synthetic stock and Trinyte metal, is light, weather resistant and accurate. It shoots 300g A-Frames or Partitions at 2800 fps (factory ammo or handloads). It shoots flatter and hits harder than a 338 Win Mag
Wow, that is LIGHT. Scoped? Either way, probably not as much FUN as my Browning A Bolt .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrodieLazz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.