Still worth buying a 338 WinMag if I own a 375?

Hope this helps:

Scope Magnification by Distance Chart​

Range in YardsRange in MetersScope Magnification (Large Targets)Scope Magnification (Small Targets)
5045.71x–4x4x–6x
10091.44x–6x6x–9x
300274.36x–9x9x–12x
500457.29x–12x12x–15x
600548.612x–14x15x–18x
1000914.414x–18x18x–25x

That chart is fine but most of us have to have a single scope on a rifle to do multiple hunts of a vast majority of animals and distances.

I have found that with the scope that I do a lot of hunting with that the lower magnification of 3.5 is almost too high for hiking through the brush or timber with the 10x being just fine for the longer shots. You also need to know the size of the animal that you are shooting at. If the crosshairs of the scope blot out the body of the animal don't shoot.

I also have found for my longer range antelope and coues deer hunting that the 14x scope on it is just fine.

I use the Swaro Z6i 1.7 to 10 x42 on most of my rifles and find it’s magnification never wanting. It is compact in size, has I fine illuminated retical with superb clarity. There not cheap but you have it for life and with its versatility you can put it on any rifle.

Woodleigh's from Australia makes .338 bullets, 200, 225, 250 and 300 grain. (Round nose, protected points and solids). There are rep's all over the globe that you can order it from.

Looks like i'm in the right ballpark then looking for something with a 15x or 18x on the top end for these ranges.
A 2-12x44 will do, but 3-15x44 will be better, and 3-18x44 is if you want to stretch it to 800-1000 yards

I use the Swaro Z6i 1.7 to 10 x42 on most of my rifles and find it’s magnification never wanting. It is compact in size, has I fine illuminated retical with superb clarity. There not cheap but you have it for life and with its versatility you can put it on any rifle.
@K95
What's your opinion of the Meopta Optika 5 in 2 to 10.
I know it's not the same class as the swaro. From memory you and Nick tested it.
Bob

@K95
What's your opinion of the Meopta Optika 5 in 2 to 10.
I know it's not the same class as the swaro. From memory you and Nick tested it.
Bob
They’re a great scope bob. Best value for money you can buy. I saw a new 3 to15 and told Nick to buy one for the test firearm reviews. Most of the time they send a new rifle with a crap scope on it.

A wonderful new scope is my favorite: the Kahles Helia 1,6-8x42i. I used it the last weeks in Namibia on my 404 Jeffery and it works very well. I think this scope will fit a 375 H&H extremly well. Fine reticle, sharp redpoint, great clarity and it looks a little more vintage than other modern scopes. And Kahles and Swarovski belongs to the same group, so I think thats a not insignificant quality measuring point. And the best: it is much cheaper than the swarovski scopes. Try it - me and my hunting friends in germany are using the other Helias (most the 2-10x50i) in the dusk with best results.

Excellent choice! How about sharing a photo or two.

PXL_20231031_150752281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, those are really nice looking rifles. To ME, everything about them from the photos I've seen here (never having seen one in person) suggests a hard working rifle suitable for hunting in all environments for both PG and DG. Congrats on your rifle choice and chosen .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM cartridge!

They’re a great scope bob. Best value for money you can buy. I saw a new 3 to15 and told Nick to buy one for the test firearm reviews. Most of the time they send a new rifle with a crap scope on it.
@K95
I have a couple of Meopta 3.5-10s, one with the Z plex the other a bdc and think they offer great optics for the money. Hold zero and trak well with good pre dawn and dusk vision.
But that's just my view.
Other scopes like Swaro,Kahles, doctor and others may be better but well out of my price range.
Bob

Looks like i'm in the right ballpark then looking for something with a 15x or 18x on the top end for these ranges.
I think you will find the top 4-6x wasted a great deal of the time. The mirage at distance will often be exaggerated by high magnification. Even with my 3-9s I run in to this on 8x or 9x. My 442 yard shot on an antelope was just under 8x; any higher and I couldn't see a clear image. Tried to use a 3-18x50 on a friends 22-250 shooting prairie dogs and couldn't use it above 12-13x or the dog just disappeared.
That chart is fine but most of us have to have a single scope on a rifle to do multiple hunts of a vast majority of animals and distances.

I have found that with the scope that I do a lot of hunting with that the lower magnification of 3.5 is almost too high for hiking through the brush or timber with the 10x being just fine for the longer shots. You also need to know the size of the animal that you are shooting at. If the crosshairs of the scope blot out the body of the animal don't shoot.

I also have found for my longer range antelope and coues deer hunting that the 14x scope on it is just fine.
My 25-06 and 223s are the only rifles wearing a scope that will go to 14x. Most of the stuff I've shot the scopes were sitting at 1.5x to 6x. 3-9s are typically carried set around 4x, and get turned down to 3x as often as they get turned up. Dark timber doesn't want high magnification.

I only used hight powers at the range when shooting for groups. My favorite scope is the 1.5-5x Leupold on my 500 Jeffery. I have a 4-16x Zeiss Conquest on my 270 Weatherby and a 3.5-10x Leupold on my 270 Win. I've taken elk at 500 yards with the 270 Win with the setting at 3.5x

I do not have the illuminated version. But, I do have the Z6 with the Gen2 Plex reticle. I really like the view and versatility (to me) of this scope. The field of view on low power and the 10x on high pretty much covers all situations for me. I like the 2nd generation Plex. It is substantial thicker than the 1st generation which was much too thin for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristalWi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!