Starting my 98 build

Just stopping by to say the 404 is still in the works I had been playing with feeding and got that working well.
Then I got a new to me truck and have been spending all extra time, cash, and attention span on that.
But as the grass greens up and groundhogs start popping up I may have to try out that 404.
Shawn

My CZ550 in 404 Jeffery had feeding issues so I sent it back to their Custom Shop. Now it feeds flawlessly according to the video they sent me prior to shipping it back. The rifle is due to be delivered tomorrow. Thursday it will be off to the range to see how it does with a scope on it. I'm looking forward to good things. Next week I hope to get my 4457 signed off and then send a copy of it and my completed SAPS 520 to Rifle Permits. July is now on the horizon.

Ok I wanted to touch base on my build it’s been a while since I hit this thread.
I had planned to hunt with the 404 this deer season but life has a way of getting in the way.
It started in mid July with flashes of blue light in my right eye followed by what seemed to be a floater in the same eye. First thing I thought was detached retina but to make long story short 98% blockage in The artery in the right side of my neck it took until early November to pinpoint the problem.
After surgery I was given 8 pound weight restriction even though I believe the rifle was close to that weight I didn’t think that crawling behind it for load development and fine tuning the sights was a prudent thing to do. Guess I didn’t want to stress test Doc’s sowing skills that much.
The rifle is assembled without any finish on the metal. Didn’t want to finish it until I was sure my numbers for sights were correct. I would hate to have to revise the sights and have to redo the finish.
Actually waited until day before deer season to check my 375 for zero no one else wanted to shoot it for me.
Now I have to get past Christmas and flintlock deer season then it’s back to the task of sights and testing loads then finish.
Slowly getting it done
Shawn

Ok I wanted to touch base on my build it’s been a while since I hit this thread.
I had planned to hunt with the 404 this deer season but life has a way of getting in the way.
It started in mid July with flashes of blue light in my right eye followed by what seemed to be a floater in the same eye. First thing I thought was detached retina but to make long story short 98% blockage in The artery in the right side of my neck it took until early November to pinpoint the problem.
After surgery I was given 8 pound weight restriction even though I believe the rifle was close to that weight I didn’t think that crawling behind it for load development and fine tuning the sights was a prudent thing to do. Guess I didn’t want to stress test Doc’s sowing skills that much.
The rifle is assembled without any finish on the metal. Didn’t want to finish it until I was sure my numbers for sights were correct. I would hate to have to revise the sights and have to redo the finish.
Actually waited until day before deer season to check my 375 for zero no one else wanted to shoot it for me.
Now I have to get past Christmas and flintlock deer season then it’s back to the task of sights and testing loads then finish.
Slowly getting it done
Shawn

Shaw sorry to hear about the health issues but frankly you were lucky to find out the way you did. It’s a good thing you went to the doctor man! Look forward to seeing some pictures of the build again.

I’ll try to get some new pics tonight my son doesn’t have a basketball game but the wife runs the sports busters and I my get volunteered to work the concession stand during a girls game.
Shawn

I was very lucky first Dr thought that is was blocked artery but tests said less than 10% blocked messed around for 2 months or more until my wife was told to take me to Cleveland Clinic. I drove the 2.5 hours to Cleveland they retested and all at once I was treated like a bomb that could explode at any second.
After more tests I had surgery on a Saturday.
After surgery Doc said that my eye trouble was mini strokes and that I very well could have had a life changer/ending one at any moment.

Sorry to hear about your medical problems, but glad the Drs. found the problem and corrected it before anything really serious happened. The best part about this is that in the last week or two before returning to work you can finish your 98 build.

B762079A-3143-482F-89D9-525193B94058.jpeg
603CA8DC-3F7A-4078-9D2A-E32C711D579F.jpeg
106FDA9C-C66D-4C65-AAAC-94470F29BEB5.jpeg
I was off work for 4 weeks been back 2 now but the shop is closed from 23-2 so I have first week of pa flintlock off. It is nothing fancy sights look high but that’s how they need to be so I can use them comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure is looking nice Shawn!

Well guys I’m not here to make a report on any progress on the 404J I do have a plan to make a gost ring that mounts on the cocking piece.
But to ask for prayers. Since my last surgery I made a decent recovery only to start a down slide which has finally been identified as several blockages in my heart I’m typing this from the Cleveland Clinic as I’m waiting to have a heart cath and maybe open heart surgery.
So if you would keep me my wife and boys in prayer I would be very appreciative.

Shawn

Thanks very much this has been a long read I have not displayed standard symtems just a shortness of breath with no tests coming back positive until I had a ct of my chest.
It’s a relief to find the problem now to the cure.
Thanks
Shawn

Sending prayers your way buddy

Shaun, keep hanging in there, after the surgery you will feel like a new person. Heart attacks is quite common at our age..had mine five years previously..need to see a Heart surgeon again shortly...hope to have a positive outcomes..experiencing now noticeable symptoms but short of breath at different times even while walking...although I am currently excising swimming long distances ...while doing these excersize I do not experience this...at least we are still able to build rifles...:A Banana:

Well guys I’m not here to make a report on any progress on the 404J I do have a plan to make a gost ring that mounts on the cocking piece.
But to ask for prayers. Since my last surgery I made a decent recovery only to start a down slide which has finally been identified as several blockages in my heart I’m typing this from the Cleveland Clinic as I’m waiting to have a heart cath and maybe open heart surgery.
So if you would keep me my wife and boys in prayer I would be very appreciative.

Shawn

I was just thinking about you and the rifle build a few days ago. Best wishes and prayers for you sir!

The Cleveland Clinic is one of the best if not the best hospital in the country for heart related issues. You are in good hands. In no time at all you will be finishing up your 404 Jeffery and telling us how good it shoots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you