Starting my 98 build

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
Please keep us informed on the progress....

HWL

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Very slow progress as life goes by priorities change hunting season then firewood season the day I dropped it off the rifle I also started dealing on a new to me tractor for skidding trees. Always something to do.
Shawn
@Shawn54
Anything good is slow progress but usually worth it in the end especially when doing it yourself plus,the setbacks you had. Congratulations on a job well done.
My last custom job was almost 2 years in the making by my gunsmith and still needs to be checkered.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
It’s an adventure and not a caliber and cartridge that is needed in my cabinet.
404 Jeffery just intrigued me and I decided to build it. Now I can’t wait to hunt with it.
Shawn
@Shawn54
It is a caliber I have always wanted or a 425 Wesley Richards.
The closest I will come to either is a loaded 404 round and dreams.
My Whelen will serve me for the game I will hunt for the rest of my life.
Bob

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
My trip down this worm hole started when my oldest son asked me for my 35 Whelen for a graduation gift which I could not tell him no then I replaced the 35 which I loved with a 375 Ruger that lead me to AHF for load data which lead to 404 Jeffery and now a dream of hunting Africa.
It has no end!!!
Shawn

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
My trip down this worm hole started when my oldest son asked me for my 35 Whelen for a graduation gift which I could not tell him no then I replaced the 35 which I loved with a 375 Ruger that lead me to AHF for load data which lead to 404 Jeffery and now a dream of hunting Africa.
It has no end!!!
Shawn
Of course it has no end.....,and that’s the best part of a journey like your own.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
It has no end!!!
Shawn
@Shawn54
Stop dreaming and start doing mate. Time slips away quickly as you get older and I would like to hear you say you should have done it years ago but I'm to old now.
Bob

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
I should be picking up my rifle Saturday maybe Friday evening if he gets it back together tonight.

I might be more excited about this than you are lol...

Definitely been enjoying following this thread...

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
I have enjoyed and been frustrated by this project and very glad I did it I have learned a lot some through reading, talking, this forum, and even trial and error. My sights are a bit tall and look more suited to a target rifle than a 404 Jeffery but they give me a great sight picture without having to search as soon as rifle hits my shoulder. Building it myself means it fits me and I have spent many hours with different sights and sight heights in the end I could have put classic express sights on it but I would have had to work to get the sight picture.
I want to thank you all for sharing information and words of encouragement.
Shawn

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have enjoyed and been frustrated by this project and very glad I did it I have learned a lot some through reading, talking, this forum, and even trial and error. My sights are a bit tall and look more suited to a target rifle than a 404 Jeffery but they give me a great sight picture without having to search as soon as rifle hits my shoulder. Building it myself means it fits me and I have spent many hours with different sights and sight heights in the end I could have put classic express sights on it but I would have had to work to get the sight picture.
I want to thank you all for sharing information and words of encouragement.
Shawn
I am looking forward to some pics of the finished rifle.

Sights should line up with your natural eye line with the rifle mounted so I think you did the right thing. Sights that are just there to make the rifle look right are not a great plan. And anyway, I think a Trijicon RMR is better than any fixed sights for DG use.

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
My sights are a bit tall and look more suited to a target rifle than a 404 Jeffery but they give me a great sight picture without having to search as soon as rifle hits my shoulder. Building it myself means it fits me and I have spent many hours with different sights and sight heights in the end I could have put classic express sights on it but I would have had to work to get the sight picture.
So much this. Often a setup is compared to others or the 'norm'...and that simply doesn't work for everyone. I envy your ability to fabricate your own specifically as you wanted and needed.

Cant wait to see the next picture update!

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Ok I picked up my rifle today and when I saw it I about fell over. I asked for a black matt finish when I dropped it off and he said no problem he told he would bead blast it and blue it. About two weeks ago he said that he had half a mind to polish it and not tell me until I picked it up my answer was surprise me and all I can saw is wow what a surprise he got the finish on my rifle like a black mirror. Was going to take a picture on my kitchen table but the light inside doesn’t do it justice so pics have to wait until tomorrow. He asked if I wanted the bolt jeweled and I told him that I was not really into that and he said he would polish it a little well it looks like chrome and he smoothed the action beyond what I considered smooth. He let the trigger as I had done it but he did measure pull at 3 3/4 pounds with no creep after you take up the slack in a military trigger. I’m already thinking I need fancier wood and not sure I want to take it to the woods.
Sorry for no pics today.
Shawn

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Fancy wood is nice, and ALWAYS take it to the woods and bush. They make more sandpaper and finish if you scratch it to much. But bumps and dings always reminde you "of the time I was hunting ??? and ??? happened" Have followed your build and look forward to seeing the pictures of your rifle, the first animal harvested and your first African animal. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Here are a few pics as she is.

F3A37C87-D1AE-4F4F-990A-EC998AC24621.jpeg
6CADF074-0163-45B9-8641-37A1194220B1.jpeg
8CD7C99E-58F7-4C2A-A93B-6CE9269B0A3C.jpeg
02CE48D3-223D-4A7D-AB90-437B424592B3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonorBagw

Latest profile posts

RicardoT wrote on Jan007's profile.
Hallo , ek stel belang as die 375 steeds beskikbaar is 083 511 9921
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.