South Africa/Namibia

Slope77

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello, first time post. I live in the US, have never been to Africa. It has been an ambition/dream to hunt there for many years. I am considering my first African hunting trip in 2022 or 2023. I have read before that since so many flights from the US arrive in South Africa, that it makes sense to tag on a trip in that country on your way to somewhere else.

I have done a lot of research on species/areas. I am really trying to focus on areas that produce the best quality trophies in a species and also provide an enjoyable geographical area. I am not necessarily opposed to fenced hunts as long as the area is large enough to allow fair chase, but I have no desire to drive out in someone’s pasture and shoot something.

Anyway, this is getting long winded. How would it work to book a Namibia hunt, target species common eland, kudu, gemsbok, springbok, black-faced impala, black & blue wildebeest; and then tag on (before or after) a Natal/Zululand hunt for Nyla, waterbuck, southern impala.

Maybe I’m shooting for too much in Namibia (desert vs savanna/scrub)? Or maybe I’m not picking best area for some species?

This is doable.
For black faced impala, check for import regulations to US. (???)
For some of the species, expect to hunt in high fenced ranch, in Namibia.

The only downside I can see to two countries will be two trophy shipments and two trophy clearance payments, so maybe an extra $2000 on your trip. I would pick one country and book extra days instead of two countries. Your outfitter will be able to give you options to go to different areas. My last couple trips to South Africa and Namibia have combined multiple areas in one country. My last two trips to Namibia I visited Kaokoland in NW Namibia, farm in North central Namibia, and Caprivi on one trip 15 days, then Caprivi, waterberg, and farms in north central Namibia on another trip 11 days. My last trip to South Africa I hunted coast and mountains in Karoo in eastern cape 8 days. Getting to hunt multiple areas in the same country gives different hunting experiences with different landscapes and much easier logistics than hunting two countries. I think Namibia will give a better first safari. I like the open space and less intensive game farming/more free range. Eland is also my favorite African animal to hunt and I feel Namibia gives a better hunt for it. You’ll enjoy your first African hunt regardless of which country you choose or if you hunt both.

Welcome to the forum. First of all, Black Faced Impala are not importable to the USA.
The only other small issue would be that you are going to have two shipping bills. If this is not going to be a problem for you, then there are no problems at all.

Slope77, welcome to the AH forum! I see you are already getting excellent answers to your questions. Enjoy the planning as well as your first opportunity at Africa!

Welcome to the greatest hunt forum on earth. I have hunted both. Two countries means two sets of rules, two customs, etc. I felt safer in Namibia, but met wonderful people in both countries. I echo the shipping cost issue. They are out of control right now.

Thank you all so much for the advice. As I was researching last night, I did see that black-faced Impala can’t be imported into the US.

If I went to Namibia only, what do you feel are the “must do” things and which species should be keyed upon?

Hello, first time post. I live in the US, have never been to Africa. It has been an ambition/dream to hunt there for many years. I am considering my first African hunting trip in 2022 or 2023. I have read before that since so many flights from the US arrive in South Africa, that it makes sense to tag on a trip in that country on your way to somewhere else.

I have done a lot of research on species/areas. I am really trying to focus on areas that produce the best quality trophies in a species and also provide an enjoyable geographical area. I am not necessarily opposed to fenced hunts as long as the area is large enough to allow fair chase, but I have no desire to drive out in someone’s pasture and shoot something.

Anyway, this is getting long winded. How would it work to book a Namibia hunt, target species common eland, kudu, gemsbok, springbok, black-faced impala, black & blue wildebeest; and then tag on (before or after) a Natal/Zululand hunt for Nyla, waterbuck, southern impala.

Maybe I’m shooting for too much in Namibia (desert vs savanna/scrub)? Or maybe I’m not picking best area for some species?
It is a wonderful thing to plan a first safari! There is so much to see and do. Let me be frank with you. It sounds to me like you are trying to put together a ”once in a lifetime” trip. You are trying to do too much for the average guy for one trip IMO. If you can easily stay a month and have the money to do two 10 day hunts plus travel then by all means proceed as planned. But if you are going to rush two hunts by putting them together then you are making a mistake.
Namibia is wonderful and a great place for a first safari. I would recommend 10 days hunting in one area. Please be advised that black faced impala are only in the north and are not importable to the US. Your wish list otherwise is good.
happy planning!
Philip

Welcome aboard and best of luck planning!

I have hunted the Caprivi area of Namibia twice. It is an unbelievable area to hunt and/or visit. As far as animals in the area as a must do, I would say Red Lechwe would be one. There is also very good opportunities at other plains game and dangerous game. We saw good numbers and trophy quality of Eland, Roan, and Kudu. Namibia also has a very healthy population of Leopard, and the trophy is importable to the US at this time. As others have stated, stick with one country for the hunting. If you travel through South Africa, you will have to have a transit firearm permit(not a big deal). Also, use a travel agent. It will save you a lot of grief and probably some money. I have used Travel Express and they are excellent.

Welcome to AH Slope77!

If you have not already, check out this section of the site:

There is good advice here. I have done multiple country hunts a few times, and the double fees are problematic, and guessing what will greet you at the airport can be very annoying as airport/airline staff invent rules. In no way would I put down South Africa, as I am already planning a return there, but I would choose Namibia for my first hunt, especially if you can fly directly to Windhoek. I assure you, you will go again! Take your nyala then! You might want to check out my report on hunting/touring Namibia with Keibeb.

Welcome!

I agree with @Philip Glass ; you are over-planning. For most people, it's just "better" to fly into Johannesburg (direct from Atlanta) and hunt the Limpopo, Free State, or Northwest. It's the least time consuming travel and the least amount of hassle. If you have an extra couple days and more adventurous, then I think Namibia would be great. I have not hunted Namibia, but seriously thinking about making that my next trip. But then again, Jburg is easier...

If a nice Gemsbok is your #1 must have, then I think Namibia would be a great option for you though. Hence why I am seriously considering

Giday Slope77 and welcome to thae A H forums

Thank you all so much for the advice. As I was researching last night, I did see that black-faced Impala can’t be imported into the US.

If I went to Namibia only, what do you feel are the “must do” things and which species should be keyed upon?
How many days are you considering making your hunt? I wouldn’t do less than 10 days. I think 14 is ideal. For Namibia for species focus on the native species eland, kudu, gemsbok, red hartebeest, warthog, springbok, Hartmann zebra, burchell zebra, steenbok, duiker. Black wildebeest, blesbok, waterbuck, and some others are common on farms in central/north central Namibia but aren’t originally native there. If you can afford it, I would also go with the attitude of shoot two. If you see a good one your PH likes shoot it, then you can always take a second if you see a great trophy later in hunt. It takes a lot of stress off hunt.

I agree with those who say pick one, don't overcomplicate it.

I went to Namibia my first two trips, honestly it was a very straight forward trip via Frankfurt. Windhoek airport is easy to deal with. Must do species are gemsbok and kudu. Namibia is known for big ones of each at often more reasonable fees compared to RSA, especially kudu IMO. After that eland, red hartebeest, zebra and blue wildebeest are plentiful. If it's a good year for rain try steenbok too. They hold better in the grass then a drier year when it's grazed down. Warthog is either country, it just depends on the region whether they're plentiful. Outside of hunting I'd say get a couple days in Etosha National Park.

If going to South Africa I'd suggest hunting black wildebeest, nyala and springbok there. Waterbuck, blesbok and impala are more plentiful in RSA, eland, zebra and blue wildebeest is reasonable there too. Kudu certainly exists in RSA, but some places are starting to charge by the inch and it can get pricey. Outside of hunting in RSA is a wide array of things. On the East Cape there's Addo NP and the Garden Route down to Cape Town. I did a road trip that included both, great trip. Plenty of other national parks too depending on where you end up.

Good luck, enjoy planning and the trip.

Hallo. We are based in Namibia living on our ranch and have free range hunting Concessions as well to hunt on. Let me know if we can help you plan your African Safari.
We will also be at DSC and SCI in Vegas 2022.

I’m very much still a rookie and there are a lot of people already responded that have far more experience and better advice.
But I would agree with @Philip Glass. Don’t try and pack it all into your first hunt, because you WILL be back. My first trip in 2017 was a dream come true and a “once in a lifetime trip” I just returned from 3rd trip this October and am planning another as soon as I can. Make sure to be able to slow down and enjoy everything about your first trip and not have to be rushed from place to place or animal list to animal list. Pay attention to what your area is good to produce- even if it wasn’t in your original list, and expect to go back, maybe to another area for a change of animals or scenery next time.
Just my 2 cents. Either way, I know it will be a great experience and I envy you the excitement of your first trip to Africa.

I’m very much still a rookie and there are a lot of people already responded that have far more experience and better advice.
But I would agree with @Philip Glass. Don’t try and pack it all into your first hunt, because you WILL be back. My first trip in 2017 was a dream come true and a “once in a lifetime trip” I just returned from 3rd trip this October and am planning another as soon as I can. Make sure to be able to slow down and enjoy everything about your first trip and not have to be rushed from place to place or animal list to animal list. Pay attention to what your area is good to produce- even if it wasn’t in your original list, and expect to go back, maybe to another area for a change of animals or scenery next time.
Just my 2 cents. Either way, I know it will be a great experience and I envy you the excitement of your first trip to Africa.
Very good advice from your experiences. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. First of all, Black Faced Impala are not importable to the USA.
The only other small issue would be that you are going to have two shipping bills. If this is not going to be a problem for you, then there are no problems at all.

Marius is spot on.

I did exactly what you are suggesting on my first adventure to Africa.
Namibia for Eland, Kudu and Gemsbok, Warthog. Then Kwazulu Natal for Nyala, etc. with 10 days of PH School in between. One trip.

Make sure you have enough time booked for transfers and travel before and between your hunts. Failure to allow time will screw things up. Also, don’t short change yourself on hunting time.

You will be doing multiple exports of trophies. As Marius noted, if you’re ok with it, go for it.

It’s a shorter plane ride from Windhoek to Joburg than from Atlanta for a second safari!

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you