South Africa/Namibia

Thank you all so much for the advice. As I was researching last night, I did see that black-faced Impala can’t be imported into the US.

If I went to Namibia only, what do you feel are the “must do” things and which species should be keyed upon?
I think the species in Namibia has been covered quite well in the above posts.
Must do things is something else completely. Namibia is a big country with a lot of distances in between places. Joe's Beerhouse in Windhoek is great and a must for a lunch. The market in Okahanja is a must see. Swakopmund offers a variety of tourist must do's like Quad biking in the dunes, Camel rides, fishing etc. Etosha Pan is another great one. There is a lot more than mentioned. It all depends on the time you want to spend. You can't do all in one trip and enjoy everything.
It will give you incentive to plan another trip to Nam and see more of this beautiful country.
Check with you outfitter and discuss with him

Welcome toAH !

Wow!

I haven’t been “on” in a couple days but what an unbelievable response. I am still digesting all of this, but thank you all for for generosity of knowledge and time to respond.
That's why its the best site on the internet! Great people here. Have fun planning and make sure and post a hunt report for those of us waiting on our next trip.

Hello Slope77,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you have time, take a look at our web site.
Don’t forget to see our videos as well.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Thank you all for your friendly advice and I have receieved a couple messages I will be responding to

After giving it some more thought, I think maybe I would just do one or the other the first time. If I get to go back again, I could possibly try to double up.

I think the two most important animals for me on this trip would be Kudu and Gemsbok, with Eland a close third.

Hello Slope77
We are situated in the Kalahari desert in South Africa right on the southern border of Botswana.
We can offer you exactly the same experience as Namibia (wide open spaces, unfenced free range hunting, friendly people) but with the advantage of being in South Africa.
So shipment of trophies will be easy (just one crate), pick up and drop off point is Johannesburg so you can easily link two or three destinations inside South Africa together on one safari.
We have excellent kudu in our area (several 60" plus kudu hunted every year in the Bray area) and also excellent gemsbok and eland. Just check out all the photos that we have posted in the past on AH.com
Some of our ranches we own are completely free range but even the high fenced ranches are very large so you never even see a fence while hunting here.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Good luck with your research.
Do not over think it.
You will have a good time no matter who you choose on this site.
The fly by nights are not on this site as they will be quickly exposed.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Welcome to AH and the posting side! Nice to have you part of our community and enjoy the forum.

Welcome to AH! A lot of like-minded people are here to feed your hunting obsession.

Welcome and look forward to your participation! Whenever you are ready we would be happy to help you with your planning.

Hello, first time post. I live in the US, have never been to Africa. It has been an ambition/dream to hunt there for many years. I am considering my first African hunting trip in 2022 or 2023. I have read before that since so many flights from the US arrive in South Africa, that it makes sense to tag on a trip in that country on your way to somewhere else.

I have done a lot of research on species/areas. I am really trying to focus on areas that produce the best quality trophies in a species and also provide an enjoyable geographical area. I am not necessarily opposed to fenced hunts as long as the area is large enough to allow fair chase, but I have no desire to drive out in someone’s pasture and shoot something.

Anyway, this is getting long winded. How would it work to book a Namibia hunt, target species common eland, kudu, gemsbok, springbok, black-faced impala, black & blue wildebeest; and then tag on (before or after) a Natal/Zululand hunt for Nyla, waterbuck, southern impala.

Maybe I’m shooting for too much in Namibia (desert vs savanna/scrub)? Or maybe I’m not picking best area for some species?
Dear Slope77

Welcome to this great Forum, where you could gather a lot of information.

Enjoy the planning process of creating a great adventure, to cherish for a lifetime.

Good day Slope77 and welcome!!

I'd agree with the people suggesting to rather break it into two trips, obviously time is a factor but also it is important to not get into a rush and to rather enjoy the area you are in as mentioned above.

Both countries have so much to offer on their own that combining it might cut off on your experience, but the buck lies with you at the end of the day. To touch on species and areas, I can promise you there is enough for both countries, even if you end up doing Kudu, Eland, Nyala, Waterbuck , Blue wildebeest, Blesbuck and Impala in South Africa you will still have more than enough species left to make a trip to Namibia as well.

Maybe you can even consider splitting your trip in South Africa rather and do Limpopo and Natal even...

Best of luck with your planning and good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg