SOUTH AFRICA: First Time 10 Days In August With Pawprint Safaris

Great story, keep it up :A Popcorn:

Day 3- a much more restful night. At lunchtime the day before, I got some alone time with my bow at the range. I confirmed that there wasn't an issue with my 50 yard pin, just how I was holding the other day. I did my usual routine, warming up at 40 yards, but gave up shooting groups after slicing vanes off of 2 of my 4 practice arrows. Good enough. So day 3 begins with a early breakfast as we have a bit of travelling to do. Both Ryan and I are going to the same property, though hunting separately, with black wildebeest as the main objective. I had both the bow and the rifle as usual, and Jan wanted to see if we could get a black wildebeest into bow range. If I remember correctly, we were travelling about 1 1/2 hours to hunt in the low veld. We saw crops in fields in more abundance than we had around the lodge up to this point. When we did get to the hunting area, we were greeted by grass almost as far as you could see, with sparse trees interspersed throughout. After a quick meeting with the landowner, we began our drive back to a bow blind in a low sparsely wooded area. Really nice setup, by someone who obviously new bow hunting. The blind was giant, sitting on a steel frame atop a water tank with a trough all the way around it. Elevated 6', with 2 vertical window slots, it had carpet on the floor inside to deaden noise, places to hang a bow or binoculars, and 3 comfortable chairs. All of the details were apparent in this set up. As we checked everything out front before entering, Jan asked if the shots here would be too close. "What? Your joking right? This is perfect". Jan explained that some guys had a hard time with close in shots, and I explained that I wasn't one of them. Field archery had taught me precision from well inside 10 yards, and I was ready to get the stink off the bow after the blue wildebeest on day 1. We settled in to await some action. It didn't take long. 30 minutes in, we had a group of impala come in. 3 ewes and a ram. Jan said he was a good ram, but we probably had a 50/50 chance of seeing a better one. I was ready to redeem myself with the bow, so we waited patiently for him to present a shot. When he did, I was ready. Broadside at 13 yards, onside leg forward, Jan said to shoot just between the two legs at that angle. I did, and saw the arrow exit behind as he jumped in the air at the shot. "Perfect" Jan said as the impala relaxed again and began to walk away as Jan continued filming with his phone. The ewes snorted as they watched him walk away from a distance. In less than a minute, he staggered, regained his balance briefly, then went down. That is the arrow in flight just before impact.
IMG_0062.JPG

After a few minutes the ewes wouldn't stop snorting, and a cow kudu had now joined in the chorus. We decided it best to got get him and move him behind the blind. Now, the confidence in the bow was again supreme, and we quietly waited to see what was going to show next. Another 45 minutes or so and we had 3 springbuck rams and another impala at the water trough. Jan said one of the springbuck was a fine one, and asked if I wanted to take that one. We all know the answer to that! Another perfect broadside shot at 8 yards this time. I did my part and he was off and running and disappeared behind some brush about 75 yards away. We reviewed the video and confirmed what I knew, another good shot. We found him just about where we last saw him. Time to take some pictures, relax and make our plans for after lunch. It's been a great start to the day!
IMG_0067.PNG

Arrow is against the tree in the background.

That was one good day you had. Both very nice animals with the bow.

2 with a bow in one day is a great day in any ones book. Congrats. Bruce

Enjoying reading about your experience Gary!

(y) Good shooting!

Something tells me you are just getting warmed up!!

After pictures we made a call to Ryan and Jonathon to check on them and see when they wanted to meet for lunch. We had an hour before lunch, so we got into the truck with the rifle at the ready and slowly drove about, waiting on a opportunity. We saw a tons of game here! Zebras, giraffes, big herds of black wildebeest , blesbok and red hartebeest. Springbok were all about, as well as impala, kudu, and quite a few eland as well. At one point while watching a herd of black wildebeest in the distance at a waterhole, we saw Ryan and Jonathon in their Landcruiser come into view and stop. We waited patiently, watching them as they watched the herd, hoping we would get a firsthand view of some action, though probably easily a kilometer away. After about 15 minutes, the whole herd spooked, and of course they didn't come our way. Shortly after, their truck was moving again as they had returned from an attmpted stalk. We met for lunch behind the owners house at a nice table in his backyard. Claudius had packed us each a lunch of 2 sandwhiches, harboiled eggs, popcorn and candy. We had more sodas and water from the coolers that were ever present in the trucks. Ryan explained how frustrating the black wildebeest had been.
After lunch we wanted one with the bow, and elected to sit at a waterhole blind in a open grassy area with a few trees directly behind and next to it.
image.jpeg

We scared 2 owls out of it when we went in, and Gwen, birdwatcher that she is, was excitedly snapping pics of them in the nearby trees while Jan and Max swept up the inside from what the owls had left behind.
Another comfortable , well placed and designed blind. It wasnt long until we became covered up in eland. A bunch of cows and 1 immature bull. A few zebras stayed out at 100-150 yards, springbok meandered past inside of 100 yards for a while, and eventually a decent sized warthog was spotted way out and heading our way. As he got closer, we saw it was a male with only 1 tusk, and it was not that big . He came close to the far edge of the waterhole, seemed nevous the whole time, and left after only a brief sip of water. So after about 2-2 1/2 hours, we decided we would get out of the blind, hang the bow up for the rifle and go see if we could find a decent white blesbok. We had seen a few in a herd earlier. Jan checked all sides of the blind, and we proceeded to call Max to pick us up and we exited thr blind, spooking the eland. Gwen was on the ground and i was on the steps coming down when she started whispering excitedly to look above the top of a nearby rise. Here was a white blesbok, staring down in our direction! Behind him and coming over the rise unseen was the rest of the herd. After a minute or 2, they were seen going back over the rise. Damn! Jan fell all over himself apoligizing, but I told him it wasn't necessary, as we all agreed to get out, and he had checked before hand. How could we have known they were out of sight and coming to us. Maybe the eland's presence would have kept them away as well, as it seemed to be the case for the last few hours. We got over it quickly when Max arrived with the truck and my rifle. We quickly talked and got after the blesbok herd, almost leaving Gwen behind. They took off once as we got nearly in range, and we followed, thankfully now in a area with a few trees and bushes to hide our approach. As we neared them for the 2nd time, i saw most of them move off to our left and behind some more brush, but then saw a few black animals as well as Max and Jan whispered quietly. Change of plans, we were almost in the middle of some black wildebeest that were spread out on both sides of us. At this point, I was realizing the need to start controlling my breathing in advance in preparation for a shot. We had bent over, squatted, jogged and done about everything but crawling up to this point, and while I am in decent shape, biatholon training hadn't been part of my regimen to prepare for this trip. I'll note that next time. So we move in a bit, and they move off. Same thing Ryan had said would happen. We begin following along and taking a angle to head them off. Same thing again. I am thinking ahead and start breathing deep and slowly, so I am not starved for oxygen and panting when the time comes to shoot. I am following as fast as I can, checking back occassionally to see how Gwen is keeping up, and trying to be ready as we duck and weave to get a shot. Finally we set the sticks up next to a small tree in the shade. I get on the sticks, working on my breath control as Max and Jan watch a few animals moving across a open area towards the rest of the herd that had disappeared over a nearby rise. Finally Jan points out a bull moving right to left and says to take him on the shoulder when I am ready. 230 yards.I confirm the 3 postion safety is off this time, let half of my last breath out and focus on the sight picture. At the shot I saw his front end go down, then he was off at a speed I could not believe, heading towards the rest of the herd. I asked Jan his opinion. He said he heard the bullet hit, and he never went fully down, but stumbled then ran. We went out to the area of the shot, mid thigh tall grass, and began walking in the direction he went. We continued on with no sign of him for nearly 5 or more minutes. I was learning a bit of the differences in tracking wounded game over here versus home. I was looking for signs of blood, they were looking for the animal. We caught up with the herd, and there was a bull standing separate from them. As we got closer, Jan confirmed he was bleeding from his nose. We got into postion at 130 yards, I got on the sticks again and dropped him where he stood. Jan congratualted me quickly, then Jan and Max immediately began a conversation in Afrikaans, pointing and talking quickly. Jan said to leave him where he was, explaining that there was quite a nice red hartebeest ram in the herd we could see in the distance. Off we went, double time. I again looked back to see that Gwen was keeping up, which I later was scolded for, but I knew if I was feeling it, she was too. No complaints about her though. Carrying a backpack and a camera, she was on my heels and quiet for almost every moment of the trip, and at least as excited as I was for all of it, if not more. Soooo, 15 minutes or so into the current stalk and we were eyeing up this fine ram, figuring out how to cut him off and be in range.Gwen asked if hartebeest was on our list. I replied that is was now. I came in with a tentative list, saying I was open to any good animal and we'd worry about the list later. There had been a good breeze averaging 10 mph all day, and it was certainly a factor in our stalks as well as shooting at distance. We eventually gave up the stalk on the hartebeest and headed back to see the black wildebeest. He was BIG! Jan and Max propped him up and we got pictures, and while Max was heading back to get the truck Jan explained to me that this was truely a monster. I knew he had some thick bosses, but nothing really sank in yet. We got him loaded in the truck and continued on , alternating between the blesbok herd and the hartebeest, whoever gave us the best opportunity. There were 2 white ewes and a white ram in the blesbok herd, and he was a nice one. Similarly, there was a standout in the hartebeest herd as well. If we could just get a clear shot on one or the other. Well, patience and preparedness usually pay off, and it was just one of those days where I couldn't do much wrong. We drove along a road with open grassy plains area below us to the right, and a peak parallel to the road on our left. Ahead the road veered left over the rise and when we topped it, the blesbok were there again. We advance a little then stopped the truck to watch. I ranged the front of the herd at 270 yards as we began watching for the white ram. No sticks now as I leaned over the truck, watching them move left to right, parallel to the more than subtle breeze. He was in there, and we identified the 2 ewes near the front and way right, meaning he was the white one in the back. A quick look at his horns clarified he was the one we wanted. I watched patiently, glad to have a solid rest and not be gasping for breath as had been the case a few times earlier. Finally the herd cleared him, nearly at 300 yards. With no regard for the wind, I held a little high on the chest directly above his front leg, as he faced downwind. BOOM! Jan started laughing, and said you dropped him just like you would a sack of s#*t. Gwen's expression was "Wow, that was awesome baby." His sense of humor was finally turning towards my own! As we drove up to him I mentioned that I should text Ryan to let him know I had just dropped number 4 for the day. Jan said to make sure I included his description of how it fell. I knew then that we had shared a day that at least I would remember forever, and hopefully a friendship that would last as long. When we got there, the initial exam showed that I had hit him at the base of the neck, explaining the lightning bolt effect. Once again I was second guessing my shooting for the day. Jan said again, "dead is dead, don't worry." It wasn't until much later after visualising each shot over and over in my mind, I came to realize that I had neglected the stiff 10 mph variable wind each time.
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

We briefly discussed the fact that we had time to go after the hartebeest, but all were so happy now that we decided to leave them alone. They weren't on the list to begin with anyway. We later met Ryan and Jonathon and headed back to the landowners place to pick up the animals their skinning shed. Ryan had gotten a fine black wildebeest as well. As we were getting the trucks loaded the land owner came over to the truck, and when he saw mine, he exclaimed "Wow, I didn't know we had any buffalo out there!" He congratulated me and said it was clearly the largest they had seen there in 17 years. We got back to the lodge and Pieter met us at the parking area, anxious to see the black wildebeest. He said it really was big, that the landowner had called him about it, and he asked Jan, who was also a SCI scorer and taxidermist, to bring in his measuring kit and score it tomorrow. Pieter told me that he had been a PH since 1993, and it was the biggest he had ever seen in person. We dropped our load of animals at the skinning shed, and headed back to shower and get ready to sit by the fire, trade stories of the day, then have dinner. Tonight was my favorite meal of the trip, featuring impala shish kabobs with a curry flavoring. Later, after dinner at the bar, Max brought me the Barnes Xbullet from the first shot on the wildebeest. A nice extra trophy.
image.jpeg

That is a fine day of hunting 2 with the bow and two with the rifle. That is one awesome area to hunt with so many animals it is just amazing to see.

Day4- we are off to go after sable with the bow while Ryan goes after giraffe. Our tracker/skinner, Max, is going along with Ryan to help with the big job associated with the giraffe. Jan's wife, Dianda, is going to come along to video the hunt. Another great property, my understanding was that it was bow only, and then only family had taken animals there over the last few years. Another beautiful area, with plenty of brush and trees, along with open area of grass. Perfect for spot and stalk. We are probably in about a hour, or so, having seen impala and blesbok, when I glance over my left shoulder and spot a sable about 80 yards away, looking away from us. I signal Gwen and Dianda to stop and quietly get Jan's attention. We stop and watch him for a while as he moves off, unaware of our presence. Jan said he was not one that we wanted, and we continued on single file in the brush, seeing plenty of other game. At one point Gwen spotted a very nice waterbuck in the shade under a tree probably 150 yards away. I check him with the binoculars and he is a impressive animal, but not on the agenda for today. Finally, we came to the edge of a small open area, and there was a big black antelope with his head down. I got up next to Jan as we crouched, watching him and decided on a approach. He was at least 60 yards away on this first of many encounters, unaware or concerned of our presence, and moving away at a right angle. He got behind some brush and we started our stalk,moving as quietly as we could, getting up to some brush and waiting for him to come out again. Once again, he moved on, not yet concerned but not stopping either. Several more times for more than an hour we played this cat and mouse game, getting into a position, shadowing him, twice drawing back and waiting, but letting down as we couldn't get the right shot. Eventually, he made us and took off. We took advantage of the opportunity to relax for a bit and plan. Jan said he probably would be in the vicinity of a waterhole in that direction. We plotted our approach and made our way over that way. When we got near, we found he was in the open on the opposite side of the waterhole. Jan glanced out from behind the brush and then told me the plan. We were to both step out in the open as he ranged him. He would give me the distance and I would draw as soon as I was clear. If he was still broadside, then shoot. It worked almost that way. As we stepped out, Jan said 35 yards. I began to draw as he was turning his head, and Jan said just do it. I held the pin gap on his chest and the arrow was only a few feet from him before he tried to react. To late! The arrow entered the chest as he moved and angled upward, nicking the spine as it entered all but 7". He dropped in his tracks, as Jan once again said "PERFECT".
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG

I'd like to upload the video Dianda took of the hunt, but it keeps telling me there is a error with the file extension.

4 fine animals in one day!!! Lots of people don't get that many in a week! Your really whackin and stackin them up. Congrats and well done. Bruce

Well done! Springbuck with a bow is tough. Glad I don't have your taxidermy bill lol

I hear ya on the bill from the taxi man. We met with him the other day to start planning. We're having him and his wife down for dinner so they can view the available space and begin a decorating plan and ideas for which way mounts should face, etc. He does a lot of african animals and is a real artist.
Btw, does anyone have any idea why my videos won't upload? I get a message saying the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension IMG_6030.mp4.

Day 5- we slept in and had a big brunch. Small thin sliced steaks, though I didn't note what animal they were from, eggs, sausage, toast and potatoes. I forgot to mention the fajitas from a previous day's lunch ( once again, can't remember the game that the meat was from, but excellent none the less). It was Jan, Dianda,Gwen and myself again. We headed to the nearby property where I was on day 1 to sit in the bow blind. On the drive in I had the rifle at the ready and took advantage of a group vervet monkeys next to a waterhole as we approached. One stopped for just a second too long on the far side as got the crosshairs on him. In the blind, we didn't see much beyond the bird activity, which kept Gwen and all of us entertained. At one point I notice a strong smell, which Jan whispered was waterbuck, though we never saw one. He explained that after you shoot one, the scent changes and is nowhere near as unpleasant. Before dark we called Max for the truck, and took a drive to see what was out and about. As luck would have it, ( and I seemed to have plenty of luck) we saw a duiker ram, and Jan and I got down to stalk it, leaving everyone else at the truck. After less than 5 minutes and no duiker, we heard Max whistle from back at the truck. We hustled back as quietly we as we could and Max explained he had seen a bushbuck ram up ahead. We quickly advanced and not long after Jan spotted him and pointed out his position in the poorly lit brush. Maybe 60-70 yards, and I could only see the head and neck. Jan said to shoot through the grass in front of him and hold where his shoulder should be. He put his fingers in his ears as I rested the rifle on his shoulder, aimed where the shoulder should be and fired. He was out of sight when I recovered, and Jan and Max wasted no time getting after him we found him in a gully behind where he was shot. It turns out he was quartering away, and my bullet entered the back of the rib cage and broke the backside shoulder. When I mentioned to Jan about the entrance, he pointed out that he didn't have time to explain the scenario, but gave me a good reference point to hold on before he moved off. It worked well, as our confidence in communication had built steadily.
IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 6 was cold, with frost on the ground. Gwen Saturday back to do some shopping with Dianda, while Jan and I put our time in from early on in the bow blind. No luck with that cold. A quick drive before lunch showed a few duiker, bushbuck ewes, and wildebeest, but none were the one from my earlier bad bow shot on day 1.
We returned for another excellent lunch at the lodge, then hunted another different property at the base of the mountains across from the lodge. Beautiful scenery here below the mountain. We saw duiker and kudu cows. Just before dark we stalked 3 bull kudu. I watched 2 smaller bulls, witing for the big one to step out before they disappeared. They circled behind us, we caught up again and decided the largest was not worth continuing after, just as we ran out of light.
Day 7 we focused on gemsbok, and after about an hour drive, we arrived at yet another top notch property. Today Kobis came along to drive, as well as Jan, Dianda, Max and Gwen. The land owner also sent his manager and a another man out with us. After spotting 2 gemsbok and a kudu from the truck, we tried 2 times to stalk them with the bow, but the kudu proved to be tattletale each time. We saw a small group of warthogs as well. Next time we got off the truck, I took the rifle. LOTS of spot and stalk today in the waist high grass with light brush. I was on the sticks at least 10 times, and probably passed 1 easy chance on a big bull because I wasn't confident shooting through the grass at close range, and he moved before I could confirm. Another time was waiting for the third bull in a group to emerge into a opening, when the first one decided to alert them. After a break and eating our packed lunch, we were back after them, and Jan admitted we were looking for 1 special bull. Soon enough we caught up to a small herd in the road at 250 yards, and he was in it. We watched for nearly 5 minutes as they milled about and paid us no mind. When he was finally clear, I missed what should have been a easy shot from a good rest. Back to spot and stalk, and realising that a particular animal with 1 horn was pretty consistently busting us. Finally, at about 70 yards I got a chance, and hit the bull solidly in the shoulder. He started bucking, and Jan said to hit him again, and I did. He went down 20 yards later.
The owner had asked if I wanted to go after a red heartebeest on another property with a bow. I was up for it and we made a short drive to go after one. Though we saw many animals, none wer heartebeest. We did encounter a blesbok ewe with a wound on her back, and the landowner asked me to shoot it. I made a 200 yard shoulder shot that dropped it in place. We returned to the lodge to more fine cuisine and camaraderie.
Day 8- Jan and Dianda took us to Pilansburg Park. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
I won't get into all the details of our 9 hours in there, but WOW. A hyena near the gate, 10 rhinos through the day, including 4 that were pushing one another around in the road for almost 10 minutes, elephants including a bull that was between 55-60 lbs, a pair of cheetahs, and 3 groups of tsessebe. Also, more birds than you could imagine, crocs, a water monitor... we checked off animals as we saw them on the handout brochure, and we got a full experience.
IMG_0102.JPG

Day 9- looking for a good kudu is the focus. Ryan had gotten a giant earlier in the week, measuring over 59". I had no allusions of doing that well, but hope we'd run across a good one. We drove one familiar property in the am. About 9 or so, we decided to sit by a waterhole that we had passed many times during the week. Jan had the truck drop us off and walk back to one side to find a big comfortable hide that I never even suspected existed. We saw a few bushbuck ewes, then back to the lodge for a early brunch, then behind the lodge at a waterhole to see if we could catch up to a warthog. No luck there either. Back out to the same place for the afternoon. I missed a chance on a big monkey in a treetop, as I just couldn't get a good rest. Towards evening, we spotted a nice waterbuck in some shadows on the edge of some brush. Kudu be damned at this point. We circled in behind the brush and spotted him again, but he took off before I could position for a shot. We came back around to the other side of the brush again, and spotted a smaller one with bigger bases, the the first one showed as well. I threw the gun up on him and shot at the shoulder. He took off at a right angle and ran across the field and ran into some brush. Shortly, after a little tracking, we found him in gully.
IMG_0105.JPG
Day10- Pieter had made it possible to go after a blue wildebeest again. We went back to the place where I had gotten my zebra. Early on we spotted a herd on a opposite hillside at 230yards, and a big distinct bull among them. He was never clear of the others though, and proved to be our nemesis throughout the day. We shadowed that herd all day. Once we came up out of a gully, face level with the herd feeding at 20 yards, but that big one with a little white streak on his muzzle just wasn't offering a chance that day. Back to the lodge that night empty handed and worn out, we had our last great dinner at Pawprint. Pieter said that he could set me up on a am hunt before w had to leave the lodge for our flight at 1 pm. Sure enough, the next, morning we were out early, and by 8:00 had glassed our third herd, and finally got my blue as he lagged behind the herd.
IMG_0111.JPG

On every level we had a spectacular trip. We saw tons of game, got all we could have wanted. We were fed exceptionally well, and made great friends that will last a lifetime. The level of service was exceptional, and the entire staff was more than willing to meet any of our needs. Bill C was a huge help through out the planning process for almost a year, right up to the day before we left. We look forward to going back and making more memories to last forever. Thank you very much Pieter, and all of Pawprint.

Thanks NW James! Excellent hunt report. I can only hope my hunt with PawPrint Safaris coming up goes nearly as well! You've set a good example for me.
Best

Congrats on your safari, you got some nice ones!

Congrats on a successful hunt! We should meet at the Harrisburg show in Feb and trade stories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.