SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Pawprint Safaris

Well there you go Africa hunt. Dave Scott and his wife who are having issues about things can simply contact Mariana at www.phasa.co.za.
What more has this to do with me?
Pieter as he says is a full member. I have just checked on that.
They have the ability to take him to task in a disciplinary meeting.
You should contact Mariana and get to the bottom of this problem.
I will lay my own charges against him there.
John Weavind

My main concern are the clients and that has been handled.
Certainly seems that way to me. I know the way you've handled things has convinced me to the point I'd have no problem going on a hunt with you sir. I know several others feel the same.

Now if I can just find some spare cash, convince my wife, get time off work.....Maybe I can convince her it's a business trip

So there we have it, I think.
My understanding of this fiasco is...
1. The Client @bowfishoholic had what he considered a poor Safari. The Outfitter @Pawprint Safaris took full responsibility but both the client and outfitter placed blame squarely on the PH @Bestguide and his chef. The PH in turn placed blame on the Client and Oufitter and held up the clients trophy paperwork.
2. @Pawprint Safaris offerd @bowfishoholic a free "makeup" safari. @bowfishoholic has excepted Pieter's offer and has another safari scheduled with @Pawprint Safaris right after his upcoming safari with @Limcroma Safaris.
3. The paperwork of bowfishoholic trophys has been sorted out.
4. And @Bestguide and @Pawprint Safaris can go throw blows in the Phasa arena, as they see fit, away from AH.
:)

Bowdishoholic.
I am a member of phasa.
You are free to report me to them at your leasure.
Your assetion that you were quiet in the blind is quit simply not true.
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the bow you had on Safari over here was 50 pounds.
No waterbuck is going down with that.
Injured maybe. Wounded yes.
Unless of course it was a very lucky shot.
So look.
I urge you to understand that i am a very good PH. I uave tons of experience. You are not truthful either in your comment above or the main body of your post to begin with.
It is obvious you not well informed about archery equipment. My wife has taken kudu, waterbuck, blue wildebeest and several lesser antelopes with #50 bow and all were one shot kills with a short track of 150 yards or less. My wife's compound generates more KE than my #63 recurve yet I've taken elk, moose and many other animals including blue wildebeest, kudu and waterbuck with it.

Hi
Sorry the problem I have and why I would never book anything with Pawprint Safaris is the fact that weather John did a good job with this client.
Why didn't Pieter have these people at his place for the hunt?
The fact that it sounds like Pawprint Safaris booked a hunt off AH and then backed out and didn't cover the hunt for what ever the reason?
Pawprint Safaris should kiss any booking they might get off the Internet GOODBYE.
Explain that one!

More than likely the blame needs to be split, we all have safaris that go haywire, but at least Pieter has been willing to compensate the clients with a free safari.

My assertion that the Client that wrote the initial post above and Pieters replies are not truthful.
Ot is along the same lines as it always is. The Outfitter cuts himself out of his responsibility by blaming the PH.
This remains a central reason that Professional Hunting is in trouble in South Africa.
For the record.
I hunted a full year with Pawprint Safari's (as an associate).
At times Pieter would PH for me.
I have written proof to this effect.
Copies of which are available to any interested party.
Much could have been done for these clients to have enjoyed a better Safari if Pieter had been interested enough to concentrate and arrange better bow hunting areas.
My job was to try and meet the clients wants with regards to the animals they wanted to hunt.
There was one shot at a Zebra that was 35 yards maximum from the back of my vehicle. The client missed but it was strictly his decision to take the shot.
The shot on the Nyala was perfectly acceptable. The lady hunter on the Safari was not up to the task of bowhunting and killing any animal larger then a Nyala, Springbuck or Impala.
All paperwork was correctly supplied by myself.
If that paperwork was lost....well.
I managed to get the animals in a challenging situation as best i could.
At no stage can i fault myself about this hunt and if someone believes they can fault me i am willing to listen but honestly you'd be hard pressed to find me wrong.
John Weavind

It would be great if companies would cover for the people they told some one to use for Dip&ship or Taxidermist after a hunt.
I had real issues with the taxidermist recommended by Crusader Safaris after my first trip and first overseas hunt. Andrew, the owner went to bat after the fact and the taxidermist knocked off a significant portion of the bill. But the screwed up stuff cannot be replaced. I agree that if an outfitter pushes (They often insist, or at least push hard) a certain taxidermist, they ought to do follow ups and stop in to check things.

Why didn't Pieter have these people at his place for the hunt?
@Pawprint Safaris Did you even have your own place at that time?

As I have followed you the past few years, it seems you had started a low overhead operation and have grown your business over time. I certainly admire that. Although I have been disappointed once when you allowed readers of this forum to assume you had anything to do with developing some of the places you've offered hunts on. But I commend you for stepping up to make amends for startup mistakes.

@ActionBob , taxidermists can hurt an outfitter in bad ways. Why don't clients do research on the taxidermist like they do on the hunting outfitter. I bet most clients do more research on airline flights than the taxidermist.

My assertion that the Client that wrote the initial post above and Pieters replies are not truthful.
Ot is along the same lines as it always is. The Outfitter cuts himself out of his responsibility by blaming the PH.
This remains a central reason that Professional Hunting is in trouble in South Africa.
For the record.
I hunted a full year with Pawprint Safari's (as an associate).
At times Pieter would PH for me.
I have written proof to this effect.
Copies of which are available to any interested party.
Much could have been done for these clients to have enjoyed a better Safari if Pieter had been interested enough to concentrate and arrange better bow hunting areas.
My job was to try and meet the clients wants with regards to the animals they wanted to hunt.
There was one shot at a Zebra that was 35 yards maximum from the back of my vehicle. The client missed but it was strictly his decision to take the shot.
The shot on the Nyala was perfectly acceptable. The lady hunter on the Safari was not up to the task of bowhunting and killing any animal larger then a Nyala, Springbuck or Impala.
All paperwork was correctly supplied by myself.
If that paperwork was lost....well.
I managed to get the animals in a challenging situation as best i could.
At no stage can i fault myself about this hunt and if someone believes they can fault me i am willing to listen but honestly you'd be hard pressed to find me wrong.
John Weavind

tmp_24800-DSCN0609225098619.JPG

So I can't shoot anything larger than a nyala???? I uploaded the video so you could see the perfect shot. Especially when he only went 50 yds. It was NOT lucky! I practice alot and don't like taking a shot that I am not comfortable with! You proved yourself over and over that you DO NOT know much about bowhunting! I tried to tell you to get ahead of the Hartebeest and wait for the herd. Now you say that I talk too much.
It is all that I can do to be nice, because you are pushing me to the limit, just like I felt in SA. I am a very patient person.
This was supposed to be a hunting report. Issues have almost been resolved. Please quit digging yourself deeper.

Last edited:
No lady.
I am afraid you are clueless.
Did you manage to fix the problem with your throat.....you know. That throat clearing you constantly did in the blind??
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that there is no way i'd have accepted you as a hunting client had i known that you would be using a 50 pound bow.
The fact that i was only privvy to the information that two bow hunters were coming tells me they were well experienced with minimum 70 pound bows.
African animals are extremely tough. I would never ever allow a 50 pound bow on a safari with me.
You also mechanical broadheads.
Again these are just ridiculous stab wounds.
Please lady.
Report me to phasa if you must.
Your assertion that i dont know about bow hunting is ridiculous.
Its not worth any more comment from me.
If you feel aggrieved by what i tell you i am sorry about that but i am not in the business of stroking peoples feelings.
Kindly refer your problems to phasa and other useful people.
Thankyou.

@Bestguide, I gave you an opportunity to give your side of the story and asked in an email to you that you remain respectful and refrain from personal attacks but you are clearly unable or unwilling to do so. Please know this is your last warning.

@ActionBob , taxidermists can hurt an outfitter in bad ways. Why don't clients do research on the taxidermist like they do on the hunting outfitter. I bet most clients do more research on airline flights than the taxidermist.

The reason is that the hunt is arranged by the outfitting company.
The taxidermy is an entirely seperate deal between the client and the taxidermist.
Again, this is yet another mindless and outrageous piece of business i have not yet been able to fully get my head around.
Its absolutely the very worst business deal i've ever heard of.
The client almost pays as much for the original animal as he/she does to taxidermy it and eventually get it home.
Its a complete outrage.

@Bestguide, I gave you an opportunity to give your side of the story and asked in an email to you that you remain respectful and refrain from personal attacks but you are clearly unable or unwilling to do so. Please know this is your last warning.[/

All good.
My side of the story is over now.
I have said and proved my piece.
I will answer only to official people in South Africa with regards to this post.
I thanks everyone that took the time to read and understand what went on here.
I am done.
Thankyou

@Bestguide , your last comment makes absolutely zero sense!!! What I am saying...a client spends a lot of time researching an outfitter, why don't they do the same thing with the taxidermist???

@Bestguide , your last comment makes absolutely zero sense!!! What I am saying...a client spends a lot of time researching an outfitter, why don't they do the same thing with the taxidermist???

I know thats what youre saying mate and im telling you it would put just about every single hunter off if they understood what they were honestly in for.
Im saying its a ridiculous piece of business that has caused HUGE consternation on just about every single safari ive ever been on.
Out quotes generally include "taxidermy and taxidermy shipping not included" right?
So prospective clients overlook that part as just a point in their hunting quotations.
Then when the time comes.
Its chaos.
The truth must out about hunting in SA.
Really.
Its these things that have done a full 180 turn on us and they are causing many people to go broke.
Tell the truth in your quotations people.
Its hard and its not going to get easier by simply overlooking salient points.

I can tell you in no uncertain terms that there is no way i'd have accepted you as a hunting client had i known that you would be using a 50 pound bow.
The fact that i was only privvy to the information that two bow hunters were coming tells me they were well experienced with minimum 70 pound bows.
African animals are extremely tough. I would never ever allow a 50 pound bow on a safari with me.

Total BS.... :S Bs Flag:

50lbs. is plenty provided that the entire set-up of bow/arrow/foc/broadhead style produces enough momentum which it easily can with the components that are available to bow hunters today. My wife has taken nearly every plainsgame animal in the Limpopo with a 52lb. bow. I have personally witnessed scores of other hunting clients enjoy great success with lower poundages provided the set-up is right.... She made a frontal shot on a giraffe last week with a 52lb. bow and a 650 grain arrow. She buried it up to the fletching. Myself, nor any of the PHs would never have allowed that if they didn't feel that it was enough of a set-up to ethically get the job done. I think your opinions on archery hunting are outdated and you need to educate yourself on what factors actually create arrow penetration with lower poundage bows.

I won't even bother to comment on the rest of this story. My advice is to quit while you are behind. :(

One reason is they have tried to vet the outfitter and trust him in his advice whether on hunting , where to stay after or before the hunt, taxidermy and dip & pack and a host of other things as it's his home turf. If the Outfitter recommends someone they have the responsibility to have checked out the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarrisonDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!