SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Pawprint Safaris

Were these company's suggested by the people you hunted with?
I had a bad experience with a taxidermist and a dip and ship from companies that I hunted with in SA.
I just did a trophy hunt in New Zealand and I brought the trophies back in a 30" by 50" duffle bag and it only cost me $50NZ to get them back to USA. That would cover three or four animals in shipping. May never go back to Africa again. My wife will question the D&S and shipping of $5000 to get them back.
You can shoot five or six animals in NZ and if you want use helicopters to do it and still be less than SA?

Yes the taxidermist was recommended by the outfitter. It took 23 months for my trophies to arrive and he would not answer our e-mails (4 hunters), when he did he blamed the shipping agent, who proved, with documents that he was just lying.

I know that official paperwork can be slow in Africa, but the longest it has ever taken from Limpopo was 9 months.

Yes the taxidermist was recommended by the outfitter. It took 23 months for my trophies to arrive and he would not answer our e-mails (4 hunters), when he did he blamed the shipping agent, who proved, with documents that he was just lying.

I know that official paperwork can be slow in Africa, but the longest it has ever taken from Limpopo was 9 months.
I think that we just broke the record. We are at 10 months.
Yes, the taxidermist was a partner with Paw prints

Dear Sirs/Madam
This is John as mentioned in the Post above.
This post was brought to my attention by a friend who reads this forum.
I am utterly shocked and amazed by what i read here.
There is absolutely not one iota of truth thats been written here, either by the client that wrote the article or by Pieter Erasmus from Pawprint outfitters.
I am in possession of the export permits for that hunt and i would suggest someone contacts me in order for the export to happen legally.
I am not going to use this forum to explain what really happened on this hunt or any other hunts with Pawprint Safari's. I can only state with absolute and honest certainty that Pieter Erasmus is permanently "out of line" and "out of touch" with the intricacies of operating a Safari.
Anyone is welcome to contact me directly on clawafrica@gmail.com or huntpro@wirelessza.co.za for the truth of all hunting that went on while i was an equal member at Pawprint Safari's.
I thank you.
John Weavind

Dear Sirs/Madam
There is absolutely not one iota of truth thats been written here, either by the client that wrote the article or by Pieter Erasmus from Pawprint outfitters.

The client report and the response from the outfitter seems very credible and sincere. Your response does not.....

At least the outfitter is acting professionally and taking full responsibility for what seemed to be a disaster of an experience. I would have liked to have seen the outfitter step in sooner. Possibly during the safari when things were going south in hopes to salvage the hunt? I can't help but wonder why any PH would be used who was not vetted and "field tested" by the outfitter before being entrusted with clients? In any event, your response is making this worse for the outfitter, the clients, and yourself.

From the chef on this Safari.
Hi Pieter hope you well. I am reading an article on Africa Hunting. Com and I see the post by Dave Scott. Let me set the record staight - never once did your guest receive bad food, never once was the kitchen a mess. I went the extra mile to help and accommodate these clients. As for the cold showers - I even had them moved to another room to accommodate them. They were given exactly what they requested and when. I dont take kindly to my name or job been dragged through the mud at all. To be rated a 3rd rate cook in one breath and then praised in the next alone speaks for itself. Oh and the cold left overs - what a joke I personally cleaned every night before I went to bed and on many times I did all the dishes myself so this jerk must get his facts right for dam sure before he trashes and slams people as I dont take kindly to this type of thing at all. John cooking meat on a braai - that never happened at all. Please tell your clients to quote fact not fiction before they post such bullshit. Kind Regards Wendy

The truth of it.

e-mail to Dave Scott

Hi David,
Here is your export certificates on my books.
I have read your post on Africa hunting.
You need to understand a few things about your hunt and how it went down.
Firstly Pieter explained to me that you had been one of his first clients he had managed to obtain through Africa hunting.
He explained to me that he was "not interested" in doing your Safari himself.
I used all my "bow blinds" in order to "set-up" the best bow hunting i possibly could for you.
Your assertion that this was the first hunt on that property is outright lies. We had shot many antelope on that property with rifles before your arrival.
Pieter had a tendency to tell clients complete lies on a constant basis. How i got involved in those
Lies is beyond me. I have NO REASON to lie to anyone.
We did manage to shoot a warthog and a Hartebeest together.
The "tracker" who sat with your wife (illegal to do that since it is supposed to be a PH) explained that your wife was too noisy and that we would do better getting your Nyala from the vehicle. Honestly. Your wifes bow pull was way underpowered to have properly killed anything at all.
Was i supposed to tell you that or take a chance on that Nyala? I decided to take a chance and thank goodness it worked out.
At all times Pieter was nowhere to be seen as he had no interest whatsoever in your Safari.
You then wounded an Eland....again illegally hunting with the black guide.
We went up to Limpopo and i was told after driving all that way that my services were not required.
You understand thats not acceptable to me.
You shot nothing in Limpopo.
Im not surprised that your trophies have struggled to get to you.
The information as supplied on the paperwork is incorrect. You understand this information is given to me by Pieter. He is the outfitter.
All your meals were made under the direction of Pieter. The Chef, although i used her for my Safari's was used under Pieters discretion.
He should have made his own "chef" plan for your Safari but as i said he was "not interested" in your Safari.
Truly.
In the end i could no longer take Pieters lying and cheating ALL his clients.
There were lies from payments, wounded animals, farm owners being cheated and now yet more lies on the Africa hunting forum.
In the end he made an obvious attempt to steal hunters i had arranged through my own agent and Marketing and that was my final straw with Pieter.
Please let me know if i can assist in getting the correct export paperwork to the Taxidermist for you.

The truth of it.

e-mail to Dave Scott

Hi David,
Here is your export certificates on my books.
I have read your post on Africa hunting.
You need to understand a few things about your hunt and how it went down.
Firstly Pieter explained to me that you had been one of his first clients he had managed to obtain through Africa hunting.
He explained to me that he was "not interested" in doing your Safari himself.
I used all my "bow blinds" in order to "set-up" the best bow hunting i possibly could for you.
Your assertion that this was the first hunt on that property is outright lies. We had shot many antelope on that property with rifles before your arrival.
Pieter had a tendency to tell clients complete lies on a constant basis. How i got involved in those
Lies is beyond me. I have NO REASON to lie to anyone.
We did manage to shoot a warthog and a Hartebeest together.
The "tracker" who sat with your wife (illegal to do that since it is supposed to be a PH) explained that your wife was too noisy and that we would do better getting your Nyala from the vehicle. Honestly. Your wifes bow pull was way underpowered to have properly killed anything at all.
Was i supposed to tell you that or take a chance on that Nyala? I decided to take a chance and thank goodness it worked out.
At all times Pieter was nowhere to be seen as he had no interest whatsoever in your Safari.
You then wounded an Eland....again illegally hunting with the black guide.
We went up to Limpopo and i was told after driving all that way that my services were not required.
You understand thats not acceptable to me.
You shot nothing in Limpopo.
Im not surprised that your trophies have struggled to get to you.
The information as supplied on the paperwork is incorrect. You understand this information is given to me by Pieter. He is the outfitter.
All your meals were made under the direction of Pieter. The Chef, although i used her for my Safari's was used under Pieters discretion.
He should have made his own "chef" plan for your Safari but as i said he was "not interested" in your Safari.
Truly.
In the end i could no longer take Pieters lying and cheating ALL his clients.
There were lies from payments, wounded animals, farm owners being cheated and now yet more lies on the Africa hunting forum.
In the end he made an obvious attempt to steal hunters i had arranged through my own agent and Marketing and that was my final straw with Pieter.
Please let me know if i can assist in getting the correct export paperwork to the Taxidermist for you.

You should have accepted your share of reponsibilty for a safari gone bad from the start, instead of trying to vilify the client and your former employer.
Now we find out that the reason the trophys haven't shipped is because you held up the the paper work?? Not good...and smacks of extortion to me.
You both come off as disgruntled former employees that lack professionalism. Hopefully you will help put this gentlemans safari to rest by getting his trophys shipped and move on.

Last edited:
We found no fault with Pieter. He seemed to be a wonderful person. I think he got taken advantage of by John and the cook. We really did enjoy our time with Pieter and Paw Print Safaris. It just seemed that the whole trip was a disaster all the way to the trophy shipment.

That is probably the most amazing comment i have ever seen in my life.
Absolutely unbelievable.

Bestguide,

I find it odd that you openly admit the client hunted with the tracker only (as you mention, that would be illegal) - were you not the PH assigned to the client? Why would you risk your professional reputation by allowing this? I also find it odd that the client stated the first day of hunting they were driving around in a vehicle, which you stated was only done because the client's wife was too noisy. How would you know that on the first day? Finally, you didn't address the client's statement that you were pressuring them into taking a shot at an animal they were uncomfortable with, then chastise them for having an under-powered bow pull. I am not judging, as I don't know you. There just seems to be some a disconnect somewhere. I also agree with Mekaniks - if you have the paperwork and are just refusing to get the trophies shipped to spite the outfitter (and perhaps the client), that does not seem like something a true professional.

Thankyou for your attempt to understand the situation.
The only driving about on the first few days of the hunt was to and frim Bow Blinds.
Having suffered endlessly attempts to get the clients wife to keep quiet in the blinds we were relieved she eventually shot something.
Luckily the Nyala stood for us. Not further then 15 feet. She messed up the shot but thankfully we managed to retrieve the situation and get the buck after a three hour search (i cannot tell a client their weapon is incorrect and underpowered. We have to make do with what they want to use. They are 12000 km from home)
Its true I was the PH but the outfitter, Pieter would have had to pay for an extra PH. Something he did not want to do since as I said. It was one of the first hunts he'd booked through Africa hunt and he'd not done his figures properly.
The fact that the lady hunted with a tracker is not me "breaking the law" it is Pieters responsibility as the outfitter to correct that and pay for a qualified PH.

In addition.
I have witheld no paperwork whatsoever.
I have handed everything over post hunt as expected.
What i'm saying is that i still have copies of required paperwork.
It is pretty standard for Pieters people or Pieter himself to lose that.
Again. This is yet another indication of Pieters "well known" tendency to "get the Money" while all else is secondary and unimportant.
I had endless conversations with pieter about these issues and let me say....he just showed no sign of giving a damn.

The only driving about on the first few days of the hunt was to and frim Bow Blinds.
Different from what the OP stated, but fair enough. If it was just to and from the blind no issues there.

(i cannot tell a client their weapon is incorrect and underpowered.
I would respectfully disagree - I don't know what the legal requirements for PH's are as I haven't been to RSA (or anywhere in Africa for that matter), but I would certainly think it would be an ethical obligation to not let a client shoot an animal where you believe there is a high chance of them injuring/wounding an animal needlessly.

it is Pieters responsibility as the outfitter to correct that and pay for a qualified PH.
I may have misunderstood - I thought (or perhaps assumed) it was a 2x1 hunt and therefore you were responsible for both hunters. I still think I would have objected if I were in that position, but I can see your viewpoint of not being responsible if it was supposed to be a 1x1 hunt.

I have witheld no paperwork whatsoever.
I have handed everything over post hunt as expected.
What i'm saying is that i still have copies of required paperwork.
Fair enough - I'm sure the client would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

First thing tomorrow morning (it is 19h32 here now) i will contact who i imagine is the taxidermist and i will follow up as to what exactly is going on here.
Today is the first i've heard that there is a problem with this export.
I will get to the bottom of it as best i can and post results here tomorrow.
Thankyou
John Weavind

After listening to John, Pieter as well as the clients, the unfortunate reality is that I would find myself hard pressed to trust either party in putting together a hunt for me. There are simply too many contradictions and too much finger pointing; I simply cannot afford to invest in a questionable hunt. People's versions of the events are in such stark contrast to each other that it's impossible to discern what actually happened and determine who is at fault.

At the end of the day, there is one issue that I find most troubling, the clients booked with Pieter and contracted with him to guide. They did not contract with John. If I arrived in Africa with the expectation of being guided by a specific person and contracted for their services, I'd be beside myself to find out that they were not going to be my PH simply because they wanted to spend time with their children. It's unacceptable to contract with someone and then subcontract your obligation to a third party without the express permission of the client well in advance. It's unprofessional and unacceptable.

John,
This was not my first African safari! I have spent hours in the blind at other safaris, and never had a problem keeping quiet. I have had perfect shots on elk and waterbuck, which both went down within 50 yards. Both are far bigger animals. I argued with you that there was not an ethical shot! You kept saying take the shot. Do you want the video that my husband had on his bow? He also kept daily logs as to what happened and what animals were taken. This is where I was able to give dates for the hunt report. We have more videos and pictures than you realized, so get to the truth.

Yes Michael.
You have very good points that you make.
I am not sure if you are aware that the PH and Outfitting industry is in dire straights at the moment for many reasons.
Some you have touched on with your comment above.
The issue has become extremely serious now. For far too long hunting clients have gone home from South Africa feeling done in, ripped off and badly treated.
Outfitters have not been honest with PH's and this happens on almost every hunt. This does not bode well because every unhappy PH is able to get onto the internet and tarnish hunting in South Africa.
There are many issues that need to be ironed out over here. Outfitters must meet a minimum standard. To become a PH should take three practical years in addition to written examinations (outfitters should have been PH's for a minimum 7 years before being able to sell hunting)
Let me be clear here.
There are a lot or lies that go around and around all the time. I see the lies being told on many forums even on this site itself.
Outfitters and PH's should be members of PHASA so that there is at least a body for disgruntled clients to take PH's and Outfitters to task and hold them at their word but phasa is a voluntary organisation that has lately become unpopular due to the internal
Outlawing of "Caged lion hunting"
I was in the states selling hunting late 2009-2010.
The main issue prospective clients had to hunt in SA was that we had too many fences. The result was tons more fences when some dumbass discovered "human interfered" color game animals.
At the moment the situation in the (overseas) hunting industry in SA is untenable and its in deep trouble.
I would urge all Africahunt members to use PHASA outfitters and PH's. Get hold of phasa and investigate the people youve chosen to hunt with before you leave home.
Its not the first time i have stated this on this forum.
Anyway.
I appreciate your comment above.

Bowdishoholic.
I am a member of phasa.
You are free to report me to them at your leasure.
Your assetion that you were quiet in the blind is quit simply not true.
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the bow you had on Safari over here was 50 pounds.
No waterbuck is going down with that.
Injured maybe. Wounded yes.
Unless of course it was a very lucky shot.
So look.
I urge you to understand that i am a very good PH. I uave tons of experience. You are not truthful either in your comment above or the main body of your post to begin with.

Dear Sirs/Madam
I am in possession of the export permits for that hunt and i would suggest someone contacts me in order for the export to happen legally.
I am not going to use this forum to explain what really happened on this hunt or any other hunts with Pawprint Safari's. I can only state with absolute and honest certainty that Pieter Erasmus is permanently "out of line" and "out of touch" with the intricacies of operating a Safari.
Anyone is welcome to contact me directly on clawafrica@gmail.com or huntpro@wirelessza.co.za for the truth of all hunting that went on while i was an equal member at Pawprint Safari's.
I thank you.
John Weavind

So both the client and Pieter lie! Really

@Bestguide, I just want to make one thing clear, PHASA is only for South Africa, many outfitters on this site are operating in other countries, don't want clients to get a misunderstanding of your statement.

Firstly I am a full PHASA member in good standing. Secondly this was a 2x1 hunt from
the beginning. Thirdly John is welcome to make a complaint to PHASA or whomever he wants to and we can post the outcome.
Each member here are welcome to make their own conclusion.
My main concern are the clients and that has been handled.
Did I make mistakes? Yes, and I took responsibility.
Funny enough the PH'S that currently work with me has done so for almost three years without a problem.
I am not going to get into an online argument on this, but I do open myself to any investigation whether by PHASA or any other authority and I am open to post the result of such on this thread.
By the way last year John reported me for hunting birds without licenses, also prooven wrong
I leave it up to John to report this anywhere, let's see the outcome.
This will be my last post until we have a factual result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollisBoll

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!