Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Our sport carries with it a wealth of nostalgia, rich history of legends of yesteryear like Ruark, Hemingway et al. I happen to think it is a work in progress, there are new characters emerging all the time to take the wonderful story forward into now, and the future.
Some of the tricks that were learnt, devices developed from back then endure not just because they were good and of course useful, but because they were iconic.
Here are a few of my favourites:
  • Canvas water bags that keep cool in the extreme heat.
  • Pith helmets that sit on a webbing and are well aerated and super comfortable.
  • Safari jackets for the chilly evenings by the fire.
  • What is your list?

Speaking of gin, a retired barber that I used to meet up in the hills would take his cabin tent, horse and a case of J.W.Dant 100 proof whiskey. He'd leave prior to Labor Day and leave after Veterans Day. When he left all 12 bottles were empty, but there was no drinking prior to the horse receiving attention and the guns put away for the day. He was generous with his accommodations and freely gave to visitors, but no one ever had more than two drinks. After a long day of scouting, an ounce of JW and water was very welcome.

cartridge wallets, hunting shorts, chukka boots, small diesel p/u's (not available in the states), high lift jack, inner tube laced shooting sticks, gnu-tail tsetse swishers, chairs around "bush TV."

Great idea for a thread! I like all the old traditions like drinking blood from a first deer or cutting a shirt tail off of you missed a deer. The nostalgic gear is great too. I still use some old felt-lined metal hand warmers that hold carbon sticks. You light one end of the stick and put it in the box . Works good. Probably not as good as a heated vest powered by lithium batteries but I still like them lol

The old red and black checkered wool coats. Carrying a length of rope wound around my waist to drag a deer. Single barrel shotgun with a spare round between my fingers.

Great idea and lists so far!
Coleman lantern and canvas wall tent
Something about the people you meet along the way and the magical evenings
Besa and Kamuru.JPG
image-1.png

Last edited:
The old red and black checkered wool coats. Carrying a length of rope wound around my waist to drag a deer. Single barrel shotgun with a spare round between my fingers.

With a post like that @Newboomer you could be an honorary Canadian. That would fit right on our annual Boxing Day rabbit hunt.

I remember having a canvas water bag hanging over the front of my pickup. A couple of things I'd like to find now is a round blanket rapped, tin or galvanized, canteen and an old igloo style galvanized 3-5 gallon water jug with a spigot dispenser. For alcohol, Gin (Botanist or Nolet's) in hot weather and in cold weather any good Rye Whiskey.

I’ve recently started to carry a cartridge slide on a belt for quick hunts in the afternoon. I have ordered a Von Gruff knife too.

Our sport carries with it a wealth of nostalgia, rich history of legends of yesteryear like Ruark, Hemingway et al. I happen to think it is a work in progress, there are new characters emerging all the time to take the wonderful story forward into now, and the future.
Some of the tricks that were learnt, devices developed from back then endure not just because they were good and of course useful, but because they were iconic.
Here are a few of my favourites:
  • Canvas water bags that keep cool in the extreme heat.
  • Pith helmets that sit on a webbing and are well aerated and super comfortable.
  • Safari jackets for the chilly evenings by the fire.
  • What is your list?
In the American Army we called them Lyster bags. In hot weather they really worked due to the evaporation on the surface of the bag. The water seemed almost ice cold on a really hot day in the field. Unfortunately, by Desert Storm they were pretty much gone - a time we could have really used them.

I like cotton.

Shirts and shorts in hot weather and climes should not be polyester or any other sort of the body clinging, man-made materials that offer such great profit margin to the clothes makers and distributors.

With respect to a gin for a tonic at the end of the day, nothing beats Hendricks.

In the American Army we called them Lyster bags. In hot weather they really worked due to the evaporation on the surface of the bag. The water seemed almost ice cold on a really hot day in the field. Unfortunately, by Desert Storm they were pretty much gone - a time we could have really used them.

I like cotton.

Shirts and shorts in hot weather and climes should not be polyester or any other sort of the body clinging, man-made materials that offer such great profit margin to the clothes makers and distributors.

With respect to a gin for a tonic at the end of the day, nothing beats Hendricks.
Hendricks is good, it's my wife's favorite gin. But if you ever come across the Botanist give it a try. Also I totally agree with you cotton is the way to go in warm weather. I am not a big fan of synthetics unless it is blended with wool for cooler weather.

Water bags, , a heavy canvas hessian material (Lyster bags) wereonce common in the Australian bush. I’m not sure if anyone makes them.

However Gin seems to have a market share in Australia. There are Boutique Gins, Gin distilleries and are on the shelves in many modern hotels (Yuppy bars, Hipster bars or whatever we call them). Some where on the shelf you might see the old school varieties of Vickers, Beefeater or Gordon’s among a selection of Top Shelf new age Gins.

Ah Gin! So many to choose from and so much variety. I like Hendricks as a good all-purpose gin. Plymouth in an aviation: perfect. Put it with dry lemon and it is no good at all. And different strokes for different folks. We have a local gin that everyone seems to like except me and my drinking buddy. The best way I can describe it is imagine drinking a teenage girl's perfume. My former wife loved Saphire, but I've no love for it. Nothing wrong with a Beefeater or a Tanqueray in my opinion. Uncle Val's botanical is delightful in the right cocktail.

Damn I wish I weren't on call tonight!

In cold weather a Stormy Kromer hat. Almost too warm but oh so functional.

A cup of joe by a mopane fire in the morning. Listening to the bush wake up and wondering what the day will bring.

More red and black. Wool ballcap with the earflaps up inside. Felt boots and overshoes, my Dad's favorite winter footgear. I wore the leather topped lace ups like the L.L. Bean boot. Buckskin chopper mittens with boiled wool liners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg