AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
So, I have been home from Africa for less than a week, and can't seem to get it off my mind! Not too sure when the boots will hit the red dirt again, but I want to be ready!

I would like to do a buff hunt for my next go-round, and that will require a rifle upgrade, so I am thinking about a .375 H&H. With that being said, it seems from everything I've read that the CZ550 is the best bang for the buck out there. Being from Canada these seem to be more of a special order item, which means no one seems to be an expert on them, and I can't walk in and handle one. So this leaves me with some questions:

-Are there any differences besides stocks between the CZ USA and the European rifles?

-Some models seem to have two cross bolts while others have one or two. Are double cross bolts needed?

-Are they good straight out of the box, or will it leave you wanting some upgrades such as the ones from AHR?

I appreciate any help from all the experts out there!

Happy easter!

I'm not are of any differences other than stocks, and I'm also pretty sure that all .375 and above have two crossbolts, at least the newer rifles. They add strength so it makes sense for the magnums.

So when I bought mine it was rough as a cob and I had it worked on. It is a great rifle now. Some seem to be fine great out if he box, but I wouldn't order one and want to go buff hunting a week after it arrives. I wouldn't do that regardless, but that is just me.

The CZ 550 is a solid rifle and you can't go wrong with it.

I am certainly no expert.

Double cross bolts are in Magnum rifles.

Mine has been fine (for me) out of the box. Others like to talk about the custom shop with the bolt and trigger needing some work. Some have talked about loading issues.

Never looked at the stocks really.

I enjoy the set trigger.
I have a load that is very accurate. (after working it up and working myself up to being able to shoot a large magnum rifle)

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/i-blame-all-of-you.17339/

I just used it on the last trip and anything out to 500 yards was fair game.
I like the rifle.

Just asking about the crossbolts is that if you look on the euro website you can see two on the Lux models and only one on the magnum standard.

You might want to consider the Ruger Guide Gun in 375 or 416 Ruger. Good rifle for the money and mine was great right out of the box!

By the way Aaron the buff will be like crack! Go hunt that and then you will want something else.....say a hippo.....or who knows. Good luck on deciding what rifle to bring home!

Just asking about the crossbolts is that if you look on the euro website you can see two on the Lux models and only one on the magnum standard.

I would personally get that second cross bolt. In the world of bugger rifles the .375 H&H isn't a heavy kicker, but it is still a heavy kicker if you know what I mean.

The new Win Model 70s are very nice in 375 H&H. I have a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery that started out as a 375 H&H. I love it, it took some work but quite frankly for the larger calibers I think it's an awesome action (incredibly solid, machined from billet) and very accurate. If I was going with a 375 H&H I probably would go with the Winchester as they're lighter and probably need little or no work out of the box.

I love CZ rifles and just ignore the set trigger that seems to annoy many. The Euro style stocks take some getting used to but honestly my best shooters wear them. They are big and heavy rifles, almost too heavy for a .375. I think they are a great value but that's not to say you might not like other rifles as well. Any rifle can give problems and should be shot LOTS before taking hunting to root out any issues. My own .375 is an 80's vintage Mark X Whitworth Express and its lots lighter than a CZ and shoots great, a 3 safari vet. Deciding on the new rifle is lots of fun.

Basically the stocks are only difference between the two. I have the 550 American safari in 375 H&H and it's my favorite gun. My 416 only has one cross bolt so having two on a 375 is just a little extra security. I prefer the American as it doesn't have the big hump in the stock. In my limited experience with them mine was smooth as glass and shot excellent straight out of the box. In the bigger cals like the 505 it's my understanding that there is a little work that needs to be done but the 375's are good to go the second you pull it out of the box.

CZ 550 American , not the Lux !

They come a little rough and by having them polished and adjusting the trigger makes a world of difference.

Mine has been shortened as well to 23"

I have a Mod 70 as well , the CZ feels better in my hands and is definitely lighter and better balanced.

However either the CZ or the Winchester are the way to go.

I've never quite seen why the CZ's are considered such a better value than the M70's. I had a CZ and it was a fine rifle which did not have any of the feeding issues that you read about. I liked the rifle well enough, but didn't care for the .416 Rigby all that well. I also prefer the 3 position safety on my M70's. But I'd own a CZ again particularly if it was a .404J.

But if one gets one new and it has some issues, the $100-150 you save over a M70 will quickly be chewed up by a gunsmith. I also don't care for the length of the barrel at 26" which for certain will require a gunsmith to change.

I also think the weight of the M70 as well as it being a bit forward heavy is a plus for the guy moving up to the .375H&H. It helps minimize muzzle rise and felt recoil. My M70 Safari Express has yet to shadow the door of a gunsmith. Very accurate right out of the box with no need to change anything.

So my advice would be to handle both and buy the one you like best and forget about the small price difference.

I like CZ 550 rifles having had them in .308 and .416 Rigby. The .308 went to Africa.
Both had the American stock which is straighter than the hogsback (euro) version and had more linear recoil.
Do you have access to a good gunsmith ? I would not go to Africa without having a relatively new rifle first inspected by a competent gunsmith and then modified to suit my personal needs.
My .416 Rigby did not need any work on the bedding as the stock was contacting the action in all the right places. The wood was of average quality and did not need the two crossbolts.
I had the bolt handle straightened and slightly
'flaired' out for quicker handling.

Both rifles had their triggers rebuilt. The CZ's have an excellent trigger and can be converted from a set trigger by someone who knows what they are doing. The .416 kept its set function but was adjusted to a lovely 2.5 lbs.
Before use, I used synthetic lubricant in the actions, then cycled both actions a couple of dozen times to loosed them up.
The .308 did bind up with wind blown gass and needed a wipe out when hunting once, where my sons Mauser .98 did not needa wipe out and kept working. Most modern actions have close tolerances these days which do not cope well if you hunt hard on foot.
They are rugged and excellent value for money. Yes, they weigh a little, but that helps with recoil mitigation. They won't bend if you drop them. Some need a bit of work, but no more than any other mass produced product.

Attachments

• DSCF0801.jpg
    DSCF0801.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCF0804.jpg
    DSCF0804.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 468
I would look for a Kimber Montana first. Maybe the Caprivi. An older SS/synthetic Winchester M70, a Whitworth would be good (I really should have bought the one with the McMillan stock listed for $800 in 2013), A old Sako Fiberclass (factory McMillan stock), Zastava makes a reasonably priced 375, a Legendary Arms Works would be interesting. If you are looking at a CZ and can't find one, try Prophet River Firearms in Loyldminster.

I have 2 x 375 H & H magnums in CZ and have never had a problem with either and have NEVER had any work done on them, other than re - blueing the one and fitting a new stock ( old one had no more chequering left!!)
I also have a CZ 550 in 458 magnum and started hunting with it "out of the box"... other than the scope zeroing shots and a few practice rounds to confirm accuracy, it went straight into the field and took a huge black maned lion as its first trophy. Since then, numerous buff and one elephant. Again, never an nounce of problems and never any tweeting or trigger tuning etc... all I did with the 458 was to push a lot of rounds through the loading system to check feed and ensure that no jams occurred.
NOTE: When hunting in Tanzania many years ago, the PH gave me a great tip... while riding on the back of the truck between hunting areas/ blocks and with an UNLOADED firearm, work the action up & down ( open & closed) ... the fine dust in the ambient air smoothed out everything... particularly on new rifles.
I don't know how the costs compare over on your side of the pond, but definitely I would recommend the CZ to any prospective hunter... especially for African bush conditions.

My initial CZ 550 in 375 H&H had a basic problem, which was quickly fixed. It was accurate (sub MOA) out of the box and incredibly solid. I had the CZ Custom Shop convert it to 500 Jeffery which they did including a McGowan 24" 1 in 10 twist barrel for $500. I expected and had some feeding problems which it took me some effort (three gunsmiths) but not a lot of money to address. I also had AHR put on their 3 pos M70 type safety, single stage match trigger (mine breaks at 2.5 lbs) and straighten and fill the bolt handle. None of those were necessary but I wanted them. To date I have a total of $2500 in the rifle including Talley QR rings and a Leupold 1.5-5x scope. I think it's a bargain and love the rifle.

Attachments

• 570TSX_101g_H4895.jpg
    570TSX_101g_H4895.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 206
  • P1000498.jpg
    P1000498.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0005-1.jpg
    IMG_0005-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 276
I would look for a Kimber Montana first. Maybe the Caprivi.

The Kimber seems to be a little out of my price range at the moment.

You are not that far removed from me geographically.
Perhaps, if you want to handle and shoot one of these we can meet up one day this summer and you can give mine a whirl.

I've never quite seen why the CZ's are considered such a better value than the M70's. I had a CZ and it was a fine rifle which did not have any of the feeding issues that you read about.

So my advice would be to handle both and buy the one you like best and forget about the small price difference.

Although I own a CZ and had feeding and rough bolt issues I've never thought it was a better value per se. I actually was looking for an M70, but the left hand issue got me and CZ made one, so decision made.

Agree that if possible hold them both and pick the best for you. Whether you save a few bucks or not doesn't really matter in the long run, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg