Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NWTF, NRA
After all the rain we had in the last 12-14 hours i figured the coyotes would have to be hungry. I hiked to the back side of our lease. Theres a swamp that dumps in to a big creek and a grown up field on the other side. I did not think about how much the creek might be up. It was up pretty high. I setup the decoy on the creek bank. I walked up on the ridge and sat down where i could cover a good portion of the creek bottom and the bank on the other side.
I called at low volume for 2-3 minutes. I jacked the volume up and scanned the bottom. I barley caught a flash of what i thought was a yote crossing the creek on a fallen tree. It was about 150 yards away. I waited and waited. I was sarting to wonder what happened when i picked up some movment. I finaly realized it was a cat. I switched to the shotgun. The cat came in circeling down wind right into my lap. Actualy to close, the turkey load at 12 yards was not pelt friendly at all.
You can see the tree it crossed in the pic.
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful cat! Congrats.

nd

Congratulations Thunder head it is never easy getting the smaller cat species so very well done!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Nicely done , Thunderhead!
Please share some details on the calls you were using. Electronic or mouth?
Thanks for sharing

Regards
Marius Goosen

Congrats! The only reason that cat came in so close to you was because you didnt have your thunderheads with you. If you had it would have stayed out at no less than 60 yards.

Nicely done , Thunderhead!
Please share some details on the calls you were using. Electronic or mouth?

Marius,
My favorite mouth call is the Primos Catnip. It makes excellent rodent in distress calls. Its all flexible wich allows you to vary the picth and tone. I like using it in tight quarters were its not easy for anything to get down wind of you.

I am currently using a Jhonny stewart prey master electronic call. I use it more for fields and open areas. I can put it out away from me and focus those sharp eyes somwhere else.

Bushbuck,
You are absoulty correct. Preadator population control and bowhunting dont go together. That why i break out the firesticks when its time to shoot varmits.

Nice cat. Not easy calling bobcats in good job.

A client got this cat last season. She had been coming into one of the food plots and as you know deer get real scarce when one is lurking around. Usually I dispatch one right away, but the client was due in so I saved it for him. I tried to get him on one the prior year with no luck, and as luck would have it...

She measured 34" nose to tail

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois