So They Want A Lock In Each Hole?

Smart move sir!

When packing ammo in a locked container in checked baggage is it required by TSA that a TSA lock be used or can a standard lock be acceptable.

When packing ammo in a locked container in checked baggage is it required by TSA that a TSA lock be used or can a standard lock be acceptable.

To my understanding it's TSA lock, but I won't swear I'm right. I always use TSA lock for ammo and normal luggage, and standard for rifle case.

I also always put my ammo case in my checked bag on the way over and haven't been told to remove it yet. This is just for the flight over, with removal being required for any transfers.

Ok, this got me curious, and since I work at an airport I went a walkin' and chatting.
Here's what the TSA person at the heavyweight inspection at Anchorage International Airport told me.

You don't have to have all the holes filled, unless it's a flimsy case that they think could be pried open. Pelican, SKB, metal hard cases by Cabela's and such just require a lock, I'm guessing two to be safe.
TSA locks are allowed on weapons cases but not required. I was told this at recheck in Seattle last year going to Namibia and he affirmed that now. At both Anchorage Phili and Seattle TSA has done their inspection in front of me every time and then locked it and sent it on it's way via conveyor or had the airline agent take possesion to take it to their airline conveyor. I'm not allowed to touch it after inspection and relock. This may vary by airport as the agent did say that if the airline checks it in and it's sent to him for inspection they try to find the passenger and have them open locks, otherwise they must be cut, so TSA locks help there. I've used a TSA lock on the ammo lock box and had it in my luggage. That one is less likely to be checked by TSA until after normsl check in. So far that has been good for everyone. The clothing thing is definitely an airline deal, I packed my rifle case with some of my clothes to Namibia and Air Namibia didn't care at all.

Both times I have been through Alaska the TSA agent required two locks on the pelican case. He said "so it can't be pried open". I always carry a matching spare in my carry-on for just such a-holes. I think it surprised him when I was prepared, not a word spoken after the "click"

If I were to take a rifle with me and had non-TSA locks, I would put a couple TSA approved combination locks inside in case the TSA cut the locks off so that it could be re-locked. Them putting a cut lock back on the case with tape and a sorry not wouldn't make me feel like my guns were secure at all. At least with the TSA lock, there is a small amount of security.

My guns my responsibility. If you want to see them come get me.
I was waiting outside check-in, in case they needed me, and they cut the locks anyway. More fun that way I guess.

Do you ever get the feeling that no matter what or where, TSA just does what it wants and it is never the same in different places. There is no set pattern to their ideas.

Two years ago in Dulles upon returning from South Africa, I was asked by a US Customs agent if I had a 57 for my firearms, I said I didn't, he wanted to know how I got my firearms to Africa, I said I put them on an airplane. This went on, back and forth till I opened my folder and showed him the 4457s for the rifles and his reply was that's what he meant. My response was they are 4457s, didn't get anywhere with him. Lord help us.

Last year the US Customs agent in NYC couldn't believe that I went to Namibia and wasn't bring anything home with me. He didn't seem to believe that, I only had my clothes and firearms with me. In NYC, TSA tried to open my ammo box in my luggage but didn't cut the lock or get the lock open but then they never closed the case back up either. Go Figure.

You don't have to have all the holes filled, unless it's a flimsy case that they think could be pried open. Pelican, SKB, metal hard cases by Cabela's and such just require a lock, I'm guessing two to be safe.

When I returned in may from Africa into Atlanta I discussed this with a TSA guy that was doing my gun. He said they didn't care as much about the holes filled with locks as they were the case not being able to be partially opened. He said if they could Crack the case open a little they weren't going to fly them.
Gave me a TSA law printed out on a piece of paper that said guns must be secure. I fly with aluminum americase so problem for me .

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you ever get the feeling that no matter what or where, TSA just does what it wants and it is never the same in different places. There is no set pattern to their ideas.

Two years ago in Dulles upon returning from South Africa, I was asked by a US Customs agent if I had a 57 for my firearms, I said I didn't, he wanted to know how I got my firearms to Africa, I said I put them on an airplane. This went on, back and forth till I opened my folder and showed him the 4457s for the rifles and his reply was that's what he meant. My response was they are 4457s, didn't get anywhere with him. Lord help us.

Last year the US Customs agent in NYC couldn't believe that I went to Namibia and wasn't bring anything home with me. He didn't seem to believe that, I only had my clothes and firearms with me. In NYC, TSA tried to open my ammo box in my luggage but didn't cut the lock or get the lock open but then they never closed the case back up either. Go Figure.
I agree with most of this, there's a lot of variability thst shouldn't exist.
Don't compare TSA and Customs, they are two completely different agencies. Trust me there's not a lot of love between the two.

As for the Customs officer not believing you, I just consider that part of their job. If they believed everyone they wouldn't catch anyone smuggling anything in. Play along, get inspected, and prove them wrong. Easy enough.

You probably know that TSA is now requiring a lock in every hole on your gun case. That sounds like an inconvenience to me so.......

I hate regulations and yes its hot in Texas!
Regards,
Philip

Inventive. However, saving a few dollars on locks and giving a TSA agent having a bad day a reason to reject my gun case seems like a bad risk. I'll fill the holes with locks.

Thank you for keeping us all informed of all the so ever changing regulations...

You all just saved my a*s... I leave on Tuesday and had no Idea this was a thing.

I'm glad my aluminum case has only one lock then.

Hadn't read this before I went, but I flew Delta from DFW to Atlanta to Joberg on August 1st with just two locks on a case with 4 holes. No problems and no one questioned it, going or coming back. Lucky maybe??

Would a cable lock work running it through each "hole" (similar to those used in gun displays) or does it have to be separate locks?

Used two locks on our pelican cases n July. Travelled thru Atlanta delta. No issues or comments. Saw many two locks go thru on many other cases. No problems. Even saw some of thos flimsy 19.95 Plano cases.

I never use TSA locks on anything and have never been asked or required to use them. Was advised there are too many TSA keys out there in non TSA hands and they are basically useless at preventing theft and may actually facilitate it.

Would in no way put a TSA lock on a gun case....better to put no locks if using a TSA lock. Those keys a eveywhere. Just look at the code number...go to Walmart and buy a matcing code lock. What a joke

Not to mention they do not meet the requirements for locks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.