So the 308 Win seems approved by AH, what about the rifle?

Hello all,

with the title I was obviously referring to the thread "308 Winchester Caliber Opinions" where 308 seemed liked by almost all for shots on medium game within 300meters. Now I would like your advice on the rifle.

I would like to find a light, short workhorse .308 with great quality. To be used on fox, european boar, roe deer and 'maybe' a red deer. The idea is like a single shot, simple elegant, light and short, but its' bolt action version.
- less than 1500 euro
- light, less than 3kg (if possible, even with scope and rings I'd like to stay even below)
- short, for moving in a blind, 18inch barrel?
- threaded barrel (suppressors are not yet allowed, but once they are..)
- synthetic stock (wood is beautyful, but heavy and not so weather resistant)
- adjustable cheekweld
- excellent build quality, reliability and trigger (obviously)

to be combined with a 1-6 or 1-8 variable optic, which would permit me a bit more comfort for those dreadful driven hunts at 1x and have a bit of magnification for shots inside of 200m.

one of the only rifles I have found that comes with most of this (but no adjustable cheek weld) is the:

I've looked at Tikka's, Sauer's, Mauser's, but all of them are so heavy (I own a Mauser M03 extreme in 300win mag, but it is very long, very very heavy, great for PG in Africa, not for the short ranges and smaller game in Belgian woods). Blaser (yes the R8) might actually be a good choice, but I will not put such money in one.

Thanks!
V.
Tikka is what you want. It fits the bill in every way!

Hello all,

thank you all for your replies over the weekend, much appreciated for giving me some ideas!

Indeed @Alistair, I have not yet been in a position to shoot a superlight 308. But I cannot imagine the 308 having so much kick for it to be unbearable. However, perhaps my ideas of a very compact, light and agile bolt-action are too much based on ideals than reality. Yet I do know that the two rifles I currently own are ill suited to the type of hunting I'll likely be doing in the second half of this year and for years to come. And I'm quite sure most people on this forum can understand the need to dream up a reason to add a rifle to the collection. ;)

Looking through your suggestions I find:
- Savage Ultralight by @Whacker
- Winchester Model 70 by @Mekaniks
- Tikka T3 Lite/Superlite by @PHOENIX PHIL & @YancyW
- Kimber Adirondak by @mdwest & @Tra3
- Blaser R8 by @Tra3
- Savage Model 11 Hoghunter by @autofire
- Sako 85 by @Alistair
- C2 557 Eclipse by @mark-hunter
- Christensen Arms Mesa by @Rock375
- Ruger Hawkeye Compact by @Bonk

Out of all these, if we would review the weight restriction a bit up, to more concentrate on overall handling, compactness and quality, while keeping an eye on weight without letting us be blinded by it. How would we rank these? I assume that the models each of you proposed are in your own possession. How to compare a Tikka to a Winchester, to a Kimber to a Sako? I found the Sako's very attractive on the website, until I saw their price (similar feeling to an R8)

Better yet, if you were to go out today, to buy one bolt action rifle for small to medium sized game based on the 308, what would be your first selection? Only factory offerings though.

Thank you for your input.
V.

A Sako is pretty much a Tikka but in a much prettier dress. Functionally no different.

Win M70 FW, I'm a Winchester guy. I have quite a few M70's and love them. They just feel right in my hands. Regardless, I will and have in the past readily admit, they've got nothing functional wise on a Tikka save a 3 position safety which I prefer.

As for the rest of your list, I've little or no experience with those rifles so will not comment.

many of us have thought we needed a really light rifle and spent a lot of money getting one, only to discover we did not want it in the first place.
we learned that we cannot shoot them as well, we have limited or ballistic options, etc.
then you see some guys with a seriously light rifle and a great big variable on it that goes up to 20x and has a 50 mm lens.
what we learn is that rifles with 22 to 24 inch barrels of fairly std proportoins and weight evolved for a reason.
just leave the rangefinder and other unnecessary stuff behind and you will be in front weight wise.
then you can use the 308 springfield cartridge which has a lot more versatility than the 308 winchester which is really a 150 gn bullet capacity.
bruce.

Of you are strictly set on a bolt action look for a Ruger no 1. That might fit the bill.
There are single shot adaptors for Tikka, I suggest if you go that way you might want to get the T3x as it has the larger ejection port than the original T3 design . I'm not sure how much difference but be aware of it as there will be some good secondhand T3 at good prices.

check out Savage Model 11 hoghunter. Cost approx $500 US , threaded barrel, synthetic TACK DRIVER. barrel longer than 18. 18 inch barrel would cause cause 400-600 fps drop in velocity and also drop trajectory range etc.
Speer Grand Slam 180 gr out of my son's "cheap" Savage Hog Hunter, 100 yards. I worked up these loads for him, gave him 5 boxes a couple years ago.

That's 5 shots from 100 yards. To the OP, you could do WAY worse than Savage. The flier was, in fact, not me or the ammo.

43.7 gr varget.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A Sako is pretty much a Tikka but in a much prettier dress. Functionally no different.

Win M70 FW, I'm a Winchester guy. I have quite a few M70's and love them. They just feel right in my hands. Regardless, I will and have in the past readily admit, they've got nothing functional wise on a Tikka save a 3 position safety which I prefer.

As for the rest of your list, I've little or no experience with those rifles so will not comment.
Disagree on the Tikka / Sako point.

The Sako 85 has a double stack mag, top loading, a CRF action, a shorter 60 degree bolt lift, a different scope mounting option, a different bedding system and a completely different action. It's also got action lengths matched to cartridges and far more metal parts. It's a completely different rifle from a design and engineering standpoint, even if they're both made by the same company.

Whether these features make it functionally different or in any way 'better' is a different question, but it's not just the T3 in a pretty dress.

I'd agree that the W70 is a great system with some advantages. Solid, dependable, good looking, nicely balanced, well finished. Not the lightest though, I reckon?

Disagree on the Tikka / Sako point.

The Sako 85 has a double stack mag, top loading, a CRF action, a shorter 60 degree bolt lift, a different scope mounting option, a different bedding system and a completely different action. It's also got action lengths matched to cartridges and far more messy tal parts. It's a completely different rifle from a design and engineering standpoint, even if they're both made by the same company.

Whether these features make it functionally different or in any way 'better' is a different question, but it's not just the T3 in a pretty dress.

I'd agree that the W70 is a great system with some advantages. Solid, dependable, good looking, nicely balanced, well finished. Not the lightest though, I reckon?

Can't disagree. Will just say, of the Tikka's I've owned, I was always impressed. As smooth an action as one can find, crazy accurate out of the box and very easy to develop loads for. In my opinion the best value for the money.

Pretty? No, but pretty is as pretty does when on the sticks.

A mild calibre in a 5kg walking rifle - seriously ? That really is unnecessary, but seems to not be uncommon in the UK for some reason. I have hunted roe there using a rifle which would been close to that weight, but I wasn't carrying it, and if I had been, the country was pretty easy and it would have been manageable. Very nice to shoot though.

As a calibre to be used for the OPs stated purposes, and in an 18/20" (maybe even a little less) barrel, I don't think there is anything better than the 308

I have pursued the lightweight thing for quite a few years, currently have a 308 Kimber Montana (6lb scoped), and have had a few other Kimber Montanas. All mine shoot or shot, well under MOA for 3.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, as mentioned elsewhere, they are VERY unforgiving of less than perfect technique. This can easily lead to all sorts of issues with shot placement in the field, particularly as ranges extend.

The lightest that I would go is something like the T3 or T3X, and I would try to source one WITHOUT a fluted barrel. The flutes offer no advantage and the small amount of weight saved is removed from the part of the rifle where some weight will do the most good, particularly if you plan to chop a little off the barrel.

If you want light, the Blaser R8 can be very quickly passed over.

The other issue you face is trying to go light and then have a suppressor fitted. Skinny muzzles when further reduced by the cutting of threads, are very likely to swell.

Swings and roundabouts. no free lunch etc etc.

Last edited:
Sako Finnlight is very nice, Carbonlight if wanting less weight but starting to get expensive with them , I like the Browning A Bolt & Weatherby Ultralight to but the UL is long action like the Tikka T3, looked at some Kimbers seem OK but haven't own one !

If in Europe I would of thought Sako, Tikka is there not a nice light Schultz & Larsen or Sauer 202 maybe even Steyr Mannlicher Ultra Light ?

Not too sure on the price of these where you are located ?

I forgot the Sauer 202. I have handled one of these in 308 with a synthetic stock and it would fit the bill perfectly, despite being a little above the weight target.

Unfortunately I think that the 202 has been discontinued.

Knowing you, I am guessing you mean the 30-06, not a Springfield rifle.
Springfield makes the Model 2020 Waypoint in 308WIN.
Comes in a 6.5# with a 20" carbon fiber barrel.

I forgot the Sauer 202. I have handled one of these in 308 with a synthetic stock and it would fit the bill perfectly, despite being a little above the weight target.

Unfortunately I think that the 202 has been discontinued.
Last I looked, models were 100, 101, and 404. Yep, 202 is no longer being made.

Hello all,

with the title I was obviously referring to the thread "308 Winchester Caliber Opinions" where 308 seemed liked by almost all for shots on medium game within 300meters. Now I would like your advice on the rifle.

I would like to find a light, short workhorse .308 with great quality. To be used on fox, european boar, roe deer and 'maybe' a red deer. The idea is like a single shot, simple elegant, light and short, but its' bolt action version.
- less than 1500 euro
- light, less than 3kg (if possible, even with scope and rings I'd like to stay even below)
- short, for moving in a blind, 18inch barrel?
- threaded barrel (suppressors are not yet allowed, but once they are..)
- synthetic stock (wood is beautyful, but heavy and not so weather resistant)
- adjustable cheekweld
- excellent build quality, reliability and trigger (obviously)

to be combined with a 1-6 or 1-8 variable optic, which would permit me a bit more comfort for those dreadful driven hunts at 1x and have a bit of magnification for shots inside of 200m.

one of the only rifles I have found that comes with most of this (but no adjustable cheek weld) is the:

I've looked at Tikka's, Sauer's, Mauser's, but all of them are so heavy (I own a Mauser M03 extreme in 300win mag, but it is very long, very very heavy, great for PG in Africa, not for the short ranges and smaller game in Belgian woods). Blaser (yes the R8) might actually be a good choice, but I will not put such money in one.

Thanks!
V.
@VertigoBE
Have a serious look at the Howa. They also make the weatherby vanguard.
Vary accurate straight out of the box, light accurate and economical.
Bov

Ruger Hawkeye Hunter- Walnut/Stainless-20" barrel-7 lbs.-threaded barrel.
I got to hunt with mine this past fall and I can tell you it handled like a dream.
Ruger 308 Win.jpg

many of us have thought we needed a really light rifle and spent a lot of money getting one, only to discover we did not want it in the first place.
we learned that we cannot shoot them as well, we have limited or ballistic options, etc.
then you see some guys with a seriously light rifle and a great big variable on it that goes up to 20x and has a 50 mm lens.
what we learn is that rifles with 22 to 24 inch barrels of fairly std proportoins and weight evolved for a reason.
just leave the rangefinder and other unnecessary stuff behind and you will be in front weight wise.
then you can use the 308 springfield cartridge which has a lot more versatility than the 308 winchester which is really a 150 gn bullet capacity.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Why not a 25 Springfield, 280 Springfield or my favourite the 35 Springfield. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.