So the 308 Win seems approved by AH, what about the rifle?

Hello all,

thank you all for your replies over the weekend, much appreciated for giving me some ideas!

Indeed @Alistair, I have not yet been in a position to shoot a superlight 308. But I cannot imagine the 308 having so much kick for it to be unbearable. However, perhaps my ideas of a very compact, light and agile bolt-action are too much based on ideals than reality. Yet I do know that the two rifles I currently own are ill suited to the type of hunting I'll likely be doing in the second half of this year and for years to come. And I'm quite sure most people on this forum can understand the need to dream up a reason to add a rifle to the collection. ;)

Looking through your suggestions I find:
- Savage Ultralight by @Whacker
- Winchester Model 70 by @Mekaniks
- Tikka T3 Lite/Superlite by @PHOENIX PHIL & @YancyW
- Kimber Adirondak by @mdwest & @Tra3
- Blaser R8 by @Tra3
- Savage Model 11 Hoghunter by @autofire
- Sako 85 by @Alistair
- C2 557 Eclipse by @mark-hunter
- Christensen Arms Mesa by @Rock375
- Ruger Hawkeye Compact by @Bonk

Out of all these, if we would review the weight restriction a bit up, to more concentrate on overall handling, compactness and quality, while keeping an eye on weight without letting us be blinded by it. How would we rank these? I assume that the models each of you proposed are in your own possession. How to compare a Tikka to a Winchester, to a Kimber to a Sako? I found the Sako's very attractive on the website, until I saw their price (similar feeling to an R8)

Better yet, if you were to go out today, to buy one bolt action rifle for small to medium sized game based on the 308, what would be your first selection? Only factory offerings though.

Thank you for your input.
V.
Look into the Weatherby Vanguard (Howa1500) fantastic rifle excellent trigger all your requirements except maybe weight. Around $600 u s

For moving targets I find lightweight guns do not swing well. They are "whippy." Personally, I would not own a rifle in that caliber category that didn't weigh at LEAST seven pounds. My 30-06 weighs more than eight pounds and I do very well with it shooting moving targets. Like this deer four years ago.
16 November 2019.JPG

And this gemsbuck shot the same year.
2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg

And this coyote the following year.
20201129_110147.jpg

And nyala two years ago.
20220827_130103.jpg

And gemsbuck last August.
20230817_093329.jpg

I have shot many other animals on the fly with that rifle over the past sixty years. For upland bird hunting I prefer an even heavier gun.
20221106_164038.jpg

That's a triple from two seasons ago.

Lightweight rifles are highly overrated. Besides beating up the shooter ( = flinching = missing targets), they typically have excessive muzzle jump ( = difficult follow up shots) and they don't float on moving targets as well as a heavier more balanced gun.

For moving targets I find lightweight guns do not swing well. They are "whippy." Personally, I would not own a rifle in that caliber category that didn't weigh at LEAST seven pounds. My 30-06 weighs more than eight pounds and I do very well with it shooting moving targets. Like this deer four years ago

Lightweight rifles are highly overrated. Besides beating up the shooter ( = flinching = missing targets), they typically have excessive muzzle jump ( = difficult follow up shots) and they don't float on moving targets as well as a heavier more balanced gun.
@VertigoBE is specifically looking for a lightweight (less than 6 lbs with a scope) that's weather resistant with shot overall length, threaded barrel for use when stalking/walking all day or hunting from a blind.

He's also a very experienced hunter who is well aware of how to handle a rifle...even one this light. Explaining what works for you doesn't change the fact that it's not what he's looking for. All the screaming into the abyss is for naught. He's free to make his own choice regardless of what anyone else thinks.

@VertigoBE is specifically looking for a lightweight (less than 6 lbs with a scope) that's weather resistant with shot overall length, threaded barrel for use when stalking/walking all day or hunting from a blind.

He's also a very experienced hunter who is well aware of how to handle a rifle...even one this light. Explaining what works for you doesn't change the fact that it's not what he's looking for. All the screaming into the abyss is for naught. He's free to make his own choice regardless of what anyone else thinks.
He doesn't seem offended by my random thoughts on lightweight rifles. So should be no reason for you to be offended?

a tikka t-3 would likely be a great choice although a bit heavier than 6 #, i think one can get get one that weighs 6 1/4#.

I'm thinking, if he hasn't found a suitable rifle in 3 years, he may be impossible to please....

:A Stirring:
I actually haven't found what I'm looking for, because under the good teachings of some of the AH members, I bought a Dumoulin Centurion in 7x64 afterwards :D

But it was fun seeing this thread pop back up. And I must admit a light, short, handy .308 might still make an appearance in my gun vault some day. Just haven't found anything that really tickles my fancy.

Nothing wrong with being "particular" LOL

I use a circa 1990 Ruger M77 MK II all-weather. 308. Hundreds of dead deer, pronghorn, elk, coyotes, hogs.. But, I wouldn't recommend it based on your criteria. Its an excellent 1st-shot rifle, but groups widen very quickly.

A kimber Montana or Hunter is an excellent, economical choice.
I love my Howas as well, but prefer mine in 6.5 Grendel. Tack driver!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennisseSindy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.