So, I Was In The Loading Room Today...

The 42gr CFE loads gave 2,255fps (instrumental at 10') with the 220gr Woodleigh out of a M99 Savage.

Could you see the bullets in flight?

So just a bit more than 39 years ago (August 1980 to be exact) I was released from Active Duty.

I immediately move from Camp LeJeune to Eau Claire, WI to attend University there.

One of the first things I did in Eau Claire was join the Eau Claire National Rifle Club. Great range NW of town along the Eau Claire River, and lots of serious shooters.

One of them was Ron Berg. Big time NRA Highpower guy.

I bought several hundred LC 72 Match cases from him and proceeded to use them for my Silhouette loads, hunting loads, plinking loads. I have used them in bolt guns and M1As.

So, I was in the loading room tonight, working over a batch of 500 308 empties and don't you know...I still have about 150 active LC 72 Match cases from old Ron Berg.

Ron would have to be in his 90s now, if he was still alive. Funny how a little thing like some brass in the loading room has me remembering an acquaintance from nearly 40 years ago!

That would make a good brush gun/load.

Yeah...the generic 150gr will dump a lot more energy, a lot quicker...95 times out of 100 the 150 would kill a deer quicker than the 220.

But...on my place, 50 yards is a really long shot (average is closer to 25 or 30, some are 10) and there is usually stuff in the way. Stuff you don't always see.

No bullet is good in the brush, but a 220 at 2,250 is going to be more reliable in the thick stuff than a 150 at 2,600+, I would think!

Not sure I'll ever poke a deer with this bullet...but I would like to, for science!

A 70 yard shot is long for me, so I load my BPS with Brenneke slugs rather than the sabot slugs for the same reasons you stated.
PS I live in Illinois

A 70 yard shot is long for me, so I load my BPS with Brenneke slugs rather than the sabot slugs for the same reasons you stated.
PS I live in Illinois

We killed three deer on my place opening weekend this year and the average was 30 yards. Right at the norm.

Token loading room talk: I just finished a batch of 500 .308. Practice ammo...155gr A-Max.

Single stage press, of course! :E Laugh:

We killed three deer on my place opening weekend this year and the average was 30 yards. Right at the norm.

Token loading room talk: I just finished a batch of 500 .308. Practice ammo...155gr A-Max.

Single stage press, of course! :E Laugh:

Yesterday was my opening day and I passed on 3 good does to wait for my big buck. They were all 20 to 30 yards and stood there for a while. The buck didn’t show and I wish I had shot a doe

Back to the loading room. I can’t wait to try my toy, a Lyman hand primer.

Yesterday was my opening day and I passed on 3 good does to wait for my big buck. They were all 20 to 30 yards and stood there for a while. The buck didn’t show and I wish I had shot a doe

Back to the loading room. I can’t wait to try my toy, a Lyman hand primer.
You are going to Lyman priming tool!

Tarbe, you are a hoot. I struggle with the thought of putting a 180 gr. bullet into a 308.

Tarbe, please excuse me, I'm a bit slow at times. I just figured out what you are trying to do, i.e. "coax" 35 Remington performance out of a 308.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tarbe, you are a hoot. I struggle with the thought of putting a 180 gr. bullet into a 308.

As you know, it is a combination of bullet construction, impact velocity and target composition that either makes it work....or not.

It is difficult when you have 30+ different 30 cal bullets on the bench, to just load the same one every time!

Tarbe, please excuse me, I'm a bit slow at times. I just figured out what you are trying to do, i.e. "coax" 35 Remington performance out of a 308.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, it was that, or turn my 45-70 into a .223. This seemed easier. ;)

So, I was in the loading room yesterday, working over another batch of brass.

It dawned on me that I needed to come on here and make a bit of a confession.

While one of my mantras is "short necks are for wrestlers"...and I do strongly believe in 1+ caliber necks...I have to confess that I just purchased a Savage M99 in...ahem....300 Savage.

Yes, 300 Savage. With a neck so short, if it were an actor it could co-star with Tom Cruise and make him look tall.

At least it does not violate my other mantra...never hunt with a cartridge younger than you (the 450 Dakota took care of making me a hypocrite on that count, back in August!).

So basically, I now have zero credibility....so just ignore me from now on!

Tim

It dawned on me that I needed to come on here and make a bit of a confession.

While one of my mantras is "short necks are for wrestlers"...and I do strongly believe in 1+ caliber necks...I have to confess that I just purchased a Savage M99 in...ahem....300 Savage.

Yes, 300 Savage. With a neck so short, if it were an actor it could co-star with Tom Cruise and make him look tall.

At least it does not violate my other mantra...never hunt with a cartridge younger than you (the 450 Dakota took care of making me a hypocrite on that count, back in August!).

So basically, I now have zero credibility....so just ignore me from now on!

Tim

So much cognitive dissonance! Do you find yourself in the reloading room because you can't sleep? Have you considered a career in law?

Congratulations on the purchase

And just what is wrong with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage? Great old caliber. I think you made a fine selection. Enjoy.

And just what is wrong with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage? Great old caliber. I think you made a fine selection. Enjoy.

Well, other than violating my mantra regarding short necks, nothing!

Which is why I bought it!

Funny thing...I was shooting three rifles offhand yesterday; Ruger No 1 300 H&H, Ruger American 308 and Savage M99 308. The Rugers have Leupolds and the Savage a period Redfield peep.

I was enjoying shooting the 99/peep combo the most!

Tim

Me too,...

Just a different girl…:whistle:
DSC04053.JPG

Her name is 9x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, topped with a 225 gr Sierra Game King.

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg