Slightly different Knives

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
a recent interest in all things knife has had me discovering some things.
the first one is the Canadian belt knife.
because they are a bit different they look odd.
but the more you look at them, the more they seem to have to offer the hunter.
and also the hunter/outdoorsman.
while being aware of the Canadian for a long time, one more recently discovered if the kephart knife.
aparrently kephart was an avid outdoorsman, and designed this knife for such pursuits.
in those days outdoors included hunting a lot more than now.
the original knife had about a 5" blade, but they were sold with a 4" and 5" blades at very good prices.
these knives have nothing they do not need, and as such can look plain.
however they do have what they need but no more.
what they lack, like the Canadian, is the gimmic so necessary to todays marketing machine.
certainly neither is an obvious weapon, or designed for cutting out of a burning helicopter.
my puma coyote blade looks similar in profile to a kephart, and is surprisingly agile in skinning, while holding a cut down a leg or the belly without going through.
kepharts original was around 5" and used as an all rounder including meat, skinning, firewwod, tent pegs, and god knows what else.
the blade was forged to be less than full width at the top.
knives are an interesting subject, but you need to use them enough to appreciate which one is really what you need.
bruce.

a recent interest in all things knife has had me discovering some things.
the first one is the Canadian belt knife.
because they are a bit different they look odd.
but the more you look at them, the more they seem to have to offer the hunter.
and also the hunter/outdoorsman.
while being aware of the Canadian for a long time, one more recently discovered if the kephart knife.
aparrently kephart was an avid outdoorsman, and designed this knife for such pursuits.
in those days outdoors included hunting a lot more than now.
the original knife had about a 5" blade, but they were sold with a 4" and 5" blades at very good prices.
these knives have nothing they do not need, and as such can look plain.
however they do have what they need but no more.
what they lack, like the Canadian, is the gimmic so necessary to todays marketing machine.
certainly neither is an obvious weapon, or designed for cutting out of a burning helicopter.
my puma coyote blade looks similar in profile to a kephart, and is surprisingly agile in skinning, while holding a cut down a leg or the belly without going through.
kepharts original was around 5" and used as an all rounder including meat, skinning, firewwod, tent pegs, and god knows what else.
the blade was forged to be less than full width at the top.
knives are an interesting subject, but you need to use them enough to appreciate which one is really what you need.
bruce.

you also need to show pics.

I googled the Kephart, it looks like a good utility knife for carry in the bush. I saw a Bark River brand with a Burgundy Micarta handle, looks good but they are pricey.

chris.
if something happened where you and 10 women were the only people left on the planet, and it was your duty to repopulate the world, the kephart might be a good knife to help you and your entire family to survive.
bruce.

Hot diggity dog...

Man, I surely like these one guy 10 women stories. Makes me feel pert as a rutting buck and sets my head a swimming with just a whole gaggle of dirty, immoral and downright impure thoughts.

What the hell is this thread about again?

upload_2020-5-31_15-46-46.png

I did not know that cold steal was knocking off the Russell Belt Knife! Grohman sells the Russell’s now, I assume they bought them out. I’ve still got a sure enough Russell. For my money, the Russell bird and trout knife is the best of their designs.

chris.
if something happened where you and 10 women were the only people left on the planet, and it was your duty to repopulate the world, the kephart might be a good knife to help you and your entire family to survive.
bruce.
Even with my genetics I would think twice before repopulating the world with people. I don’t think it was a Good idea the first time.
10 women can I just trade them for a handful of pretty ones of my choice?
See in just 15-20 years the King maybe shunned by the pride to live out his life alone. That’s pension ge for me and I would be happy living out my life with the handful of pretty ones to keep me company and comfortable when pensioned off.

The Canadian belt knife. That’s. Thing? I know Bob has one but obviously it’s a copied pattern or design.
I preferring the Kephart design, maybe I’m a little old or traditional.
The Kephart is making the Von Gruff pricing look even more appealing. Don’t advertise that until I place my order. Everyone will want one and apparently that multi anvil double weighted Hell-of-a-Hammer is not for mass production or mass destruction it’s just what he does in his spare time so it sounds like he might be working harder than ever with projects large and small but still making improvements like the small steels, newer sheaths and custom knives.
I’m still keen on one I’m just trying to save money for a bit but I’m keen to get my hands on one. I only have one son so I only need one knife, custo ife that is.

I don’t mean Bobs is copied but the design has been produced by many. It’s a thing!

chris,
that is the" hammer of thor."
as such, some Scandinavian designs mite come out of it.
like a seax or a viking sword.
garry's knives are good value and part of the reason is that they are designed around function and not playing with yourself.
a lot of expensive knives now attract big prices for being fancy and having unnecessary features that appeal to those who have no experience with such tools.
I believe garry tries to supply a well designed and quality product at a fair price to seller and buyer with no gimmics.
bruce.

I have had a Canadian Belt knife for about 25 years now.
It's the knife I usually use in the woods field dressing game.
I have painted the beautiful rosewood handle John Deere Yellow so I don't loose it in the leaves.
I know...blasphemy with the paint job, but it works.
Mrs BeeMaa has the Cold Steel Belt knife as well.

how do you find the cold steel vs the older one?
they are pretty cheap.
bruce.
My older one feels much better because it has a full tang blade that is slightly thicker.
Hers does feel cheap because of the plastic handle and lack of weight.
Both hold an edge well enough and are used almost daily.
Both will give good service, but I think I will upgrade hers to a "trout & bird" belt knife.
This time from Grohmann.

Here's a picture of the real deal. The top is the bird and trout that I put my own scales on and the bottom is the original. Both by Grohman of Canada. I agree with WAB, I prefer the bird and trout.

Yeah, @WAB Cold Steel copied it. And they copy anything that makes them a buck. Heck they have a copy of an Okapi. I believe it's called a kudu.

20200601_060734.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg