Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
The latest fad in knives is the " bushcraft knife", of which the Kephart is the most famous, but we also have the Nessmuk, and the different scandinavian knives.

All of them good designs to choose from.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Oneday
The cold steel is a good knife but it is their budget knife. Still holds a great edge but pales into comparison to the Grohman carbon steel.
20200407_215012.jpg

My Grohman Canadian belt knife and close enough to a kephart.
My 2 favorites
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I don’t mean Bobs is copied but the design has been produced by many. It’s a thing!
Chris
The D.H Russell belt knife won an award in 1958 for design. My gunsmith has an original he got 40 odd years ago and it was marked grohman so I would hazard a guess that they made them. I may be wrong.
Grohman does stainless steel and carbon steel with various grinds.
Von Gruff may be able to chime in and help.
Bob.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
My older one feels much better because it has a full tang blade that is slightly thicker.
Hers does feel cheap because of the plastic handle and lack of weight.
Both hold an edge well enough and are used almost daily.
Both will give good service, but I think I will upgrade hers to a "trout & bird" belt knife.
This time from Grohmann.
BeeMaa
Is your belt knife stainless or carbon.
I know the cold steel is some sort of stainless but mine holds an edge well enough to skin a pig,half a dozen rabbits then a big billy goat. Put it on a diamond oval stick and it brings it back to a reasonable edge.
Bob

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Bob Nelson, if you like your current Cold Steel Knife, find and buy a vintage Cold Steel Carbon V Master Hunter. Guaranteed you won't be sorry you did.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Bob Nelson, if you like your current Cold Steel Knife, find and buy a vintage Cold Steel Carbon V Master Hunter. Guaranteed you won't be sorry you did.
Shootist43
Are the San mainly 111 steel blades as good they are supposed to be a laminated steel blade.
How much are the carbon V mate
Bob.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Bob, I could very well be wrong in my assessment of the more "modern" steels but I prefer the old Carbon V. Why, because I'm totally happy with how it performs. Cold Steel recently brought back a line of Carbon V knives but use a thinner blade. The "vintage" version comes up for sale on a relatively regular basis, generally because somebody botched a "re-sharpening" job. Your Work Sharp will render that "point" (pun intended" moot. I usually pay between $65 & $95 for them. Sometimes an unused or even a new one shows up at exorbitant prices, I figure some collector might be willing to pay the asking price but not me.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
BeeMaa
Is your belt knife stainless or carbon.
I know the cold steel is some sort of stainless but mine holds an edge well enough to skin a pig,half a dozen rabbits then a big billy goat. Put it on a diamond oval stick and it brings it back to a reasonable edge.
Bob
My Grohmann knife is high carbon stainless steel and holds an edge very well.
I believe the Cold Steel knife is some type of stainless, but doesn't hold an edge as well as mine.

DmacD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
I had a lucky find at a garage sale a few years ago and came across a D.H. Russel (Grohmann) Large Skinner. The elderly woman who sold it to me said it used to belong to her late husband, and wanted $10.00 for it. The sheath was moldy, and the carbon blade was pretty blotchy. I mailed the knife back to Grohmann, and for $25, they made it look brand new again and razor sharp. I bought a new leather sheath from them, the one with the side pouch that carries a sharpening rod. Makes a nice set, although the blade is a little big for some jobs. I also bought one of their Trout and Bird knives, and find it perfect for boning out everything from Rabbits to Ducks and works wonders on the more delicate jobs on a Deer.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
The much copied DH Russell Canadian belt knife was originally conceived by Russell and made by Grohmann as a joint venture. I have one in stainless/rosewood and it has served me well. I actually prefer the Large skinner model for skinning only, but the original is much more versatile. The factory in Pictou, Nova Scotia is worth visiting.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
The much copied DH Russell Canadian belt knife was originally conceived by Russell and made by Grohmann as a joint venture. I have one in stainless/rosewood and it has served me well. I actually prefer the Large skinner model for skinning only, but the original is much more versatile. The factory in Pictou, Nova Scotia is worth visiting.
@Longwalker
I to like the Canadian belt knife it was designed by D H Russell in 1958 and won many design awards. Mine is a flat grind carbon steel blade. I a l so have the cold steel copy that is good but can't hold a candle to the carbon blade

20200614_105504.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heike10X77

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J