Simple Camp Set-Up

Michael70

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hi All, as I go through my mental checklist of what to take for an over-nighter in the Norhtern Territory bush, this coming weekend I would like some ideas (to use now or later) for what works as a simple set-up that gets you in the bush hunting with minimal fuss.

For me it is looking like fold-out gazebo, mesh flooring, self-inflating 4WD mattress, sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, esky (cooler), fold-out chair(s)/table, mozzie net/coils, tuckerbox/cooking essentials and sundry lights. The quad will have water cooler, toolbox, kill/butcher kit and gun rack. Along with my always present personal hunting equipment and med kit this is it.

My car always has a permanent toolbox with tools, oils/fluids, tarps, shovel, machete/axe, fold-out toilet, paper, rags, grill and ropes. Also, a large additional esky for meat to take home if we get lucky.

Set up will take 10 minutes max and will be cooking over fire. Grill and other implements contained in the tuckerbox.

Loading the car will be easy as most of the gear is contained in plastic storage boxes or close to hand and my personal hunting gear and backpack is always ready as it is used on day trips/hunts almost weekly.

What do you take and what is considered simple?

Noted that I live in the tropics so do not have to contend with the cold or other extremes, but our wet (summer) season can be brutal. We are entering into our winter (dry) season here in Australia so all good currently.

I envy your trip, would love to do something like that someday. Seems like my trips in the western US and Alaska might be a little different, but you got me thinking... How many spare tires are adequate for a trip like that? Assume taking more than 1?

Your check list seems pretty simple and rather elaborate for an overnighter.

I no longer set up a tent. Tarp over a frame on the truck bed for a quick, simple "tent", with thick foam or air mattress that fits between the wheel wells to keep off the ground and nasty night critters away or from snuggling into my bed/ sleeping bag at night.

Now I normally just recline one of my truck cab seats, instant climate control shelter and cover up with a blanket depending on weather/overnight temperature.

Although only one spare 5 gallon can of gas may be needed I also carry 2 to 5 spare 5 gallon gas cans depending on weather, temperatures, location, and number of days I plan to camp.

If I go primitive then it's a bed roll with bare necessities:
Blanket,
Ground cloth big enough to use as a lean-to,
Small cook pot,
fork and spoon, Cordage and rope,
Sewing kit,
Basic first aid kit,
Multi purpose and neck knives,
Tomahawk or belt axe,
Wet wipes,
Possible bag: with shot pouch or flask, patch material and ball, flint pouch or tin of caps, shooters kit (ball puller, patch puller, spare nipple, nipple/ touch hole pick, nipple wrench, and bore jag), powder horn and flask, and flinters tool kit, powder measure, firestarter (flint and steel, and tin with char cloth),
Tin of bore butter or pure lard.

If I'm using cartridge firearms instead of a muzzleloading firearm I forego the possible bag and use: a cartridge pouch or cartridge belt, and/or magazine/ speed loader pouch(es) Emplace of primitive firestarter kit I carry a lighter, matches, and a tin of sawdust soaked in lighter fluid or light oil, or some compressed sterno (military heat tabs),
Cleaning rod.

Bivy, fleece bag liner, kifaru woobie, poncho (for lean to), a brick of canned sardines, some form of warm beverage, lots of water storage capacity (I prefer the MSR 4lt dromedary) with redundancy in purification, and my weapon. A collapsible camp chair goes a long way for comfort in camp or makeshift blinds.

These days, I hate bringing a mountain of supplies. Let me chase critters and sleep on the ground while I'm still able. If hunting hard, I'll sleep just fine.

If you want to go the other direction, where your list starts with "wall tent", that's fun too, but in a different way.

20200906_115727.jpg
20200906_120646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts seem similar to Josh and Ridge. For a solo trip these days I take less and less, often sleeping in vehicle if ill be near it, and I seldom take the time to make a fire. Too much work, for me, unless I have the kids. When I have the kids I bring more pots, dutch oven and spend a lot more time cooking with the kids, making teas or crafts out of local offerings. My biggest thought, when looking over your list was how much water would I need (purification device?) and what spare parts might be needed to get home. Maybe radio (I guess folks use inreach nowadays).

I'd be curious to see the gazebo you're using. My experience has been if it is heavy duty enough to stand up to the weather, it is a pain to set up solo. Wish I could be there to test your system out with you!

Sounds like you are prepared for anything.
I'm heading to NT to hunt buffalo in August. What's the weather like then?

I always carry a few cans of starter fluid, have had to use it for everything from seating a tire back on a rim to cleaning a bolt on the rifle that had sand in it.

BTW would love to see pic of your trip/ camp when you return!

Quick camp set-up with the gazebo hutch tent brought by my mate who had his two boys along for the hunt. Surprisingly roomy and simple to set-up; I have one in the shed that I haven't taken out of the wrapper and will consider this if going with a small group.

Hunt was close to home (relatively) but in an area that had been recently burnt but recovering quickly. Although there was sign everywhere the animals were moving about as the billabongs were still full and the creeks running. As things dry up this area will come alive.

Plenty of buffalo sign about but I guess they are scattered with the availability of water. As we had limited time and the kids we didn't push hard for an afternoon/evening hunt that I am sure would have yielded results, but we will revisit this place in a few weeks to fill the freezer.

Grabbed this healthy nugget of a boar in one of the creeks and enjoyed the day. Boys had a swim in the springs, and we had an enjoyable weekend, which after all is what it is all about.

Dray season burnt-bush camp V2 03062023.jpg
Nuggety boar with the boys 03062023 Amended.jpg
And so the cleaning begins 04062023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are prepared for anything.
I'm heading to NT to hunt buffalo in August. What's the weather like then?

August is usually perfect especially in the first half of the month.

Even in the second half it is good with the occasional warm (hot) day, the water sources would have dried up almost completely so finding animals is easier although later in the year (Sep-Oct) is better still. The cost though is you are getting into the build-up (for the wet season) and that can be dangerous with extreme heat and humidity if you are not prepared.

Early dry season (now) is tricky with beautiful weather although after our recent big wet season the animals have plenty of options to be elsewhere, but the camping is awesome. :cool:

Very Nice! Sounds like a perfect weekend, with an excuse to do it again!!

Quick camp set-up with the gazebo hutch tent brought by my mate who had his two boys along for the hunt. Surprisingly roomy and simple to set-up; I have one in the shed that I haven't taken out of the wrapper and will consider this if going with a small group.

Hunt was close to home (relatively) but in an area that had been recently burnt but recovering quickly. Although there was sign everywhere the animals were moving about as the billabongs were still full and the creeks running. As things dry up this area will come alive.

Plenty of buffalo sign about but I guess they are scattered with the availability of water. As we had limited time and the kids we didn't push hard for an afternoon/evening hunt that I am sure would have yielded results, but we will revisit this place in a few weeks to fill the freezer.

Grabbed this healthy nugget of a boar in one of the creeks and enjoyed the day. Boys had a swim in the springs, and we had an enjoyable weekend, which after all is what it is all about.
I love your camp. I feel pretty fortunate that your style of camping is my wife's favorite way. We use 2 gazebos and attach walls. It gives us a nice 10x20 space that only takes a few minutes to set up. Cabela's used to sell nice walls, but small tarps work fine.

I don't have pictures, but a friend makes his own mini camper trailers by framing them onto old boat trailers. They are not fancy and have just enough room for one bunkbed, MINI table on side and two chairs, but can include small a/c in opening, or heater. Just a glorified tiny huntshack, but with a Coleman stove, you can cook and eat out of a large ice chest. They are light enough you don't even feel it when you tow them.

BTW, I really like the resourcefulness of camp creation on youtube under "modern self-reliance"

On hiking in fishing trips in northern Sweden I had great success using a DD-Hammock and tarp. Cuts out the need for a mattress, and the inbuilt mozzie net works really well. You just need some suitable trees.

Before kids it was a Swag, an Esky, my tuckerbox and a hotplate.
The rest was just a left in the ute. Oh, I almost always took my dog.

That's Western NSW

Nowadays I still have my swag (Bedroll) I like to camp up on the back of the ute with weather permitting but I also have a tent if needed. Now that I use a CPAP machine for sleep apneoa a tent keeps things a bit tidier.

Sometimes we camp at the river with a small caravan but usually with the wife and we might stay a week.

I camped in Victoria with @Badboymelvin first time we met up. He bought along some cooking gear so we could start the day with Coffee and end the day with BBQ.

Nice bloke, crap weather but.

That's Western NSW

Nowadays I still have my swag (Bedroll) I like to camp up on the back of the ute with weather permitting but I also have a tent if needed. Now that I use a CPAP machine for sleep apneoa a tent keeps things a bit tidier.

Sometimes we camp at the river with a small caravan but usually with the wife and we might stay a week.

I camped in Victoria with @Badboymelvin first time we met up. He bought along some cooking gear so we could start the day with Coffee and end the day with BBQ.

Swag, esky, tuckerbox and dog that was my entire checklist apart from rifle, backpack and ammo, which was always checked cleaned and replenished. Hunting in the high country in Victoria, I kept it simple as most trips I left immediately after work on a Friday (6'ish pm) and drive 5 hours to the hunt.

Most trips were hunt Saturday, sleep Saturday night, hunt Sunday morning and get home by Sunday afternoon/night depending if we collected all the dogs. This was with a hound crew in Gippsland. Awesome blokes, excellent hunters and insanely talented dogs. Great times.

As we get older the concept of simple can get stretched but whatever gets you out and keeps you in the bush is fine with me.

That's Western NSW

I thought the weather wasn't too bad! :ROFLMAO:
You should come down for a hunt now mate, you'll get the trifecta - cold, rain AND wind...
Thanks for the compliment, l'd share a camp with you any day mate (y)

Russ

Sounds like Ballarat where I experienced 4 seasons in one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!