Show Us Your Hunting Knife

100_1672.JPG

100_1673.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

A yellow knife on the belt is better than a pretty knife in the weeds.

@fourfive8 does your 102 cause hand cramping? The handle is too small for me and very uncomfortable.
I have the same issue with them Wyatt, guess they weren’t designed for us farm boys.

This William Henry folding knife was a gift from a close friend. He told me he knew I would use it, he was right. I’ve processed a few dozen animals with it. At 1.9 Oz for the knife, it is very easy to carry.

173F1646-C800-4959-9B15-0A184A6C920A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@BeeMaa
What is it about you and @Forrest Halley as well as a few others. Ya'll seem to have this thing for rattle cans of paint. You take a perfectly beautiful object and ruin it with paint, I just don't understand. I bet you would have done that to a Von Gruff. @Von Gruff Gary could probably do you a nice knife with an irradssant glow in the dark pink handle so you don't loose it.
Bob
I said to paint a hideous scope one time and now I'm being dragged into a knife debate. Good God! That thing is hideous. It looks like somebody mated a cheese spreader to a paint brush handle and then let a first grader make it Magic School Bus themed. Sorry @BeeMaa I'm glad you decided to undo that.

As far as a practical knife in the field, it's a Gerber folder with a gut hook on it. Coolest knife I ever had cost me a squirrel. It was a Schrade old timer see slayer. Dog brought it to me on a belt and dropped it at my feet. It had been in the woods for some time. Shot a squirrel and gave it to the dog in trade.

I don't understand the look at me knives. I prefer a knife to have positive grip especially when hands are covered in blood. Other than that I like it to be easy to clean and hold an edge. It's a tool for gory work. I'm happy to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Made for me by Gary Clements of Acacia Knives Marindera. Steel is N690, handle is Mozambique hardwood, holster is buffalo. All purpose including fish, game birds and general skinning. Gary makes all of our knives, he is a master craftsman.
2D593539-5D4C-4B39-AD28-B68181DAC22B.jpeg

A yellow knife on the belt is better than a pretty knife in the weeds.

@fourfive8 does your 102 cause hand cramping? The handle is too small for me and very uncomfortable.
No cramping, but while the handle is tough and as durable as any material, it can be slick. Some care advised when using... as with any sharp object. It's my onIy real issue with any Buck handle made of that material. The handle shape with the abbreviated guard and pommel helps prevent hand slipping forward or rearward. I notice many current custom knives do not have that handle design with many simply having an index finger recess below the cutting edge and as part of the blade itself :) Neither the Buck nor Martiini knives I posted pics of have that trendy design and are more traditional. The older MK II military utility knife design with the abbreviated guard and pommel and the handle made of grooved leather discs also has the traditional design. It is an all around excellent design. Most call them "Kabars" but really that is the US MK II utility/fighting knife made by several contractors over the years including Kabar. :) I know the trendy thing is wide bladed, drop point, with index finger cut out and with exotic handle material- many if not most custom knives posted show some of that in the design. I have a couple and I even made one out of an industrial saw blade back in the late 70s. While trendy, does anyone notice with the wide blade and drop point, with the cutting edge well below the center axis of the handle, there's a tendency for the whole knife to twist in the hand when really applying serious force cutting tough tissue? Just saying- I have :)

My favorite knife made in Croatia by Zêljko Zido. I love the shape.

20B9A9E6-3F89-404F-A33E-4991045952A5.jpeg

Here's an unissued US MK2 utility knife made by Union (Ka-Bar) late '43 through '44. DOM based on construction features. The MK2s were fairly large with about a 7" blade. Note the grooved leather disc handle. The MK1s were a smaller version utility knife with simpler blade design and non-grooved leather disc handle. Both were made by various govt contractors like Camillus, Union (Ka-Bar), Pal, Ontario, etc.

IMO the MK2 design, utility and usefulness is hard to improve upon. That construction and handle design just works. The overall design of both the MK1 and MK2 utility knives have stood the test of time. I like the MK2's handle better but prefer the slightly smalerl size of the MK1.
US MK2 .png

US MK2 ricasso.JPG

US MK2 ricasso manufacturer Ka-Bar.JPG

I make my own, even built a 2x72" grinder for making them.

Still using one of the first I ever made, a little hunting knife out of O-1 and black and white ebony scales. No idea how many animals it has worked on.
IMG_20180309_003738.jpg

This one is similar, a little thicker blade but very handy.
IMG_20180301_113735.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

These are all custom knives, made by friends of mine

Rodrigo Mulero of 2G Knives

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

img_2135-jpg.424275

Garcimonte

IMG_0590.JPG

Nicholas Fetting

img_2010-jpg.424277

A semi custom, made by Astra Knives

img_2020-jpg.424278

Then I also have half a dozen factory knives, some of which have been "personalized", made by Muela, Nieto and Cudeman.

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 852
  • IMG_2010.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 835
  • IMG_2020.JPG
    8.8 MB · Views: 847
The last couple years been using my Von Gruff knife with excellent results. Pictured with last year's buck.
Before that I've got several customs from Ramos knives.
The para cord wrapped has been used extensively and has never needed anything other than a steel every few animals.
The bottom knife is small but very effective also. Full custom with mammoth ivory handles.

20201118_075039.jpg
IMG_20180123_180012.jpg

@machinistbutler - The smaller of these two knives I find amazing for the utility size of it. Excellent design and execution. My hat is off to you.
1631559986787.png

@machinistbutler - The smaller of these two knives I find amazing for the utility size of it. Excellent design and execution. My hat is off to you.
View attachment 424281
Thanks! The guys that have used them loved the profiles. Some I have made with cocobolo and others with desert ironwood. They are shaving sharp and easy to keep that way. Some prefer brass liners, others different colors, some preferred none. Great fun making them .

IMG-20130915-00019.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

2012-10-22_14-34-20_321_Edmonton.jpg

Here is the one that I pack on my belt when I head out hunting. The rubberized grip is good with either wet or bloody hands. It takes a edge quickly and holds it.

imga08c0b7b30a29b083826906186b34_1__536599e5c4bc68de281b014b2c15d2eb9d8c0c15_z1.jpg

For a fixed blade I'll pack my Buck Woodsman

71IISH2fS%2BL.jpg

A knife that's seen a few things and been a few places.
IMG_20210913_185422589_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210913_185435384_HDR.jpg

A simple hunting knife that's small and convenient. I drop this in a pocket in its case. I do not wear it on a belt.
IMG_20210913_185522106_HDR~2.jpg

I affectionately call this knife 'the returning wanderer." Pocket clip got sprung, was lost and summarily stolen. Later found and recovered from the thief and fixed the clip and engraved with my name in so many places. Lost a few more times before a good man made me this lanyard.
IMG_20210913_185819948_HDR.jpg

The knife a dog brought me and a new Ka-Bar.
IMG_20210913_185517586_HDR~2.jpg

The most practical knife I use is the Helium made by a local Aussie - Herbie at R & N Blades.
It has the fluro handle/sheath so you can easily find it in the grass when you put it down.
It holds and incredible sharp edge.

1631591996151.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!