Shot distance

trperk1

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m hunting the last two weeks of April in Limpopo. Targeting Buffalo and then Sable and Kudu. I know what to expect for Buff but what’s your experience in average shot distance for plains games that time of year in Limpopo?

I have suddenly landed up with a kudu hunt too, so also interested in the answers here. When I have seen kudu in thick areas before it was at about 60 metres. There may well have been further away ones, but of course you wouldn't see them.

I'd be surprises if you broke 200 yards in most areas I hunted in the Limpopo two years ago. But the Limpopo does have some variety to it so I'd suggest contacting your outfitter to find out their view of the land they hunt.

Obviously depends on the specific terrain that you're hunting but Limpopo is generally characterised as bushveld (short range shots likely).
The exceptions to this would in mountainous areas like the Waterberg where you might have a longer (>200m) shot at something like kudu. But closer shots should be achievable depending on the stalking skills of the hunting party and wariness of the game.

Buff will be at close range (<100m) and considering you'll be here at the end of what has been a very wet summer in those parts, the bush will be dense and lush. Which would suggest closer shots than even the norm because you just won't be able to spot game at longer distances. With animals at the start of hunting season not being pressured too much, you should be able to get in close.

We do quite a bit of hunting in Limpopo in the Waterberg area, obviously terrain will have an effect but we seldomly take shots over 120 yards on plains game, with some exceptions as mentioned by @Desperatezulu. On buffalo you want to get a bit closer so maybe around that 50-70 yard bracket should be good. At the end of the day allot of things can happen during a hunt but these would be my predictions. In April it would still be pretty lush but it has it’s advantages as well!

Kind regards
Aj Fourie.

This is good to know as I’ve had the same question. Headed to Limpopo in June of 2024 and my daughter will be hunting. For her sake keeping shots under 100 yards is preferable and that sounds like it should be doable for PG.

Very doable, especially if you're prepared to work hard stalking and you're happy to take any representative animal that presents an acceptable shot, rather than holding out for maximum inches..

I have suddenly landed up with a kudu hunt too, so also interested in the answers here. When I have seen kudu in thick areas before it was at about 60 metres. There may well have been further away ones, but of course you wouldn't see them.

On the other side of the Limpopo I found the March-April timeframe to be thick, thick, and more thick. Kudu are so well camoflauged I can't imagine the keen eyes of a tracker seeing them much past 50-70 yards for initial stalking. I can't recall a time I've killed a Kudu in Zim any time of year passed a 100 yards, even in July-August timeframe when the cover should be lighter. (SW corner of Zim, within a few Ks of the Limpopo)

You'll have a great time, keep your scope at 3x and walk quietly!

The longest shot I took in Limpopo when we did a hunt there was about 120 yards on an impala.. it was a target of opportunity (we were hunting something else) and time was very limited.. we had a very big ram (24") and a half dozen of his ladies all eyeballing us from the moment they came into view.. otherwise I think we would have tried to get a little closer..

Everything else hunted that week was taken at distances of 70 yards or less IIRC..

On the other side of the Limpopo I found the March-April timeframe to be thick, thick, and more thick. Kudu are so well camoflauged I can't imagine the keen eyes of a tracker seeing them much past 50-70 yards for initial stalking. I can't recall a time I've killed a Kudu in Zim any time of year passed a 100 yards, even in July-August timeframe when the cover should be lighter. (SW corner of Zim, within a few Ks of the Limpopo)
We were lucky to see mine standing around on a riverbed, distance was 171 meters according to my rangefinder. Turned around and went for the bank and dropped right there. This was in August as you can see the foliage is pretty thick.

1678204149500.png

Last edited:
With 99,9% of standard cartridges, zero at 150 yards for Bushveld hunting and you’ll be good.

On my hunts in the Limpopo area most shots were 80-120 yards, with the occasional 200 yard shot.

As mentioned, shots can be as close as 20 yards (maybe closer) to 200 yards.

you probably will be in thick stuff tracking, only to find a long shot at times.

As mentioned, zero your rifle at 200 yards or closer. I like to know where my rifle shoots at, 50 yds - 75 yds - 100 yds - 150 yds and 200 yds.

Have a good range finder and know how to use it.

Unless you really want to do long distance hunting, most of your opportunities will be less than 100 yards. It's part of the spot and stalk style of hunting.

Heard from my guide- with the amount of rain this year the bushveld is exceptionally think, zero at 100 yards as most likely that’ll be my max. And you want precision to “thread the needle”. But know your distance and drop to 200.

Reactions: MTA
I have hunted Limpopo in April in both the bush and mountains. You will most likely have a short shot with very little time before the animal disappears. Kudu are hunted in both the bush and mountains. You just cannot see in the bush to take long distance shots. The mountain areas can be 200 yards or more but the guide will adjust to your comfortable shooting range.

I personally love to hunt the thick bush, but it can be frustrating and very challenging. I shoot my 375 H&H in thick cover because a very fast/smaller bullet just does not work as well. Ask the guide what caliber to bring. I insisted on taking my 300 WSM to Limpopo in April but should have left it at home.

You are hunting 3 of my favorite animals that I have taken in Limpopo but take what the bush offers. Don't pass up a great Limpopo bushbuck (15" +) or large bushpig.

I insisted on taking my 300 WSM to Limpopo in April but should have left it at home.
So continuing to read this thread and seeing most shot distances less than 200yards I’m wondering about caliber selection. Planning on taking .300 win mag next June to Limpopo. Curious why the wsm version should have stayed at home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross