Shot distance

Sadly A-Frames max out at 200gr in 30 cal. Only 'proper' hunting bullet in 220 gr I know of is the Partition. At 2600 f/s out of my 300H&H I've had only positive experiences with them - they're my first choice kudu combo.
For eland the 200gr A-Frame would be my no.1, with 200gr Barnes TSX close behind.
 
Sadly A-Frames max out at 200gr in 30 cal. Only 'proper' hunting bullet in 220 gr I know of is the Partition. At 2600 f/s out of my 300H&H I've had only positive experiences with them - they're my first choice kudu combo.
For eland the 200gr A-Frame would be my no.1, with 200gr Barnes TSX close behind.

I've had mixed results with partitions as they are unpredictable in their jacket separation and how they "frange". Sometimes its devastating, sometimes is a sloppy mess of a recovery effort on what was a good shot. This debate isn't anything new of course as this argument has happened at elk camps for 50 years now.

The only 30 cal I've ever used in Africa was a 300HH single shot. I used either 180 or 200gr nosler ammo, I believe it was an accubond. The three ton longneck made it 45 paces before he dropped from that shot. A winmag will surely meet or exceed those results for the OP.
 
That all makes sense. On the plus side the .300 I was planning on taking is my Ruger m77 Hawkeye II. It’s stocked with walnut in a slim sporter style stock with a 24” sporter barrel. It wears a 3-9x40 scope set in low rings. I’ve killed a lot of elk here in the states with it at distances from 20-400 yards. I actually don’t own any other rifles configured this way. The rest are set up for long range shooting from the prone position. Here’s a stock photo but mine is basically the same thing. I would love a 7x57 but am trying to avoid purchasing a new rifle for this trip.View attachment 521679

Take that one and don't think twice about it.
 
Ditch the brake! I use one of these PAST/Caldwell should pads for most of the practice sessions. $36 from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013R8J48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use the 1/2" thick version when working up loads and practicing. My sessions are normally 40 to 60 rounds. Often for the last 6 to 10 rounds I remove the pad and shoot at close range rapid fire, just for fun!

Now, someone will wonder if my zero changes with and without the pad. Not that I've noticed. In Africa, without a pad of course, with my 458 Heym double sporting an SRO red dot, I've shot zebra at 108 meters and wildebeest at 150 meters!


View attachment 521761

I personally don't really feel the recoil is bad. 90% of my hunting is waterfowl with a 12g and 3" bismuth loads. For those who know, that's a rough time and I typically shoot 150-200 rounds a season. The 300WM off the sticks isn't bad. Follow up shots I guess could be a problem. I will show him this though. Thank you for the recommendation!
 
So continuing to read this thread and seeing most shot distances less than 200yards I’m wondering about caliber selection. Planning on taking .300 win mag next June to Limpopo. Curious why the wsm version should have stayed at home?
My experience was that the 375 H&H would handle shooting into and through thick cover. The 300 WSM would not make it through much of the cover. The guide asked me to just shoot the 375 instead of the 300.

The 375 worked very well with Barnes TSX in the thick bush. A 300 win mag will work well but the 375 will cover every situation from tiny ten to eland.

I did shoot my 300 WSM in the mountains for long range. My Kudu was shot at less than a 100 yards so no need for 300 WSM. If I had to do it over, I would take both again but might not use the 300.

I would not go buy a 375 H&H for plains game but if I owned one I would not go to Africa without it. Besides, you can use it for the buffalo.

Take the 300 win mag but due to thick bush shoot a heavier bullet like the Barnes TSX and not a thin jacketed 150 grain speedster. Besides, Kudu & Sable are big animals.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,107
Members
169,902
Latest member
surcontcetin1970
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top