Short safaris question, and is this pricelist a good sign (and decent prices) or should I stay away?

Arni's

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Some friends of mine are doing a "world" tour in bicycle, and, already quite well in their tour, due to visa issues are looking to take a sharp turn down and go through aAfrica instead of Asia. Based on our early discussion, we expect them to be in Tanzania early April and RSA around June-July in the Limpopo area
My wife and I are invited to join them for a bit more than week or so somewhere down there, and I was thinking a short safari, 3-4 days, maybe 5 max, could be a nice activity together.
I found this one outfitter in the Limpopo area next to the Kruger national park with a "rustic" camp, which I hope will improve the wild feeling, and should be the kind of accommodation my cyclists friend would prefer.
Being a beginner hunter and having never hunted in Africa, I'm not sure what is a good or bad sign regarding for an outfitter - as well, neither regarding what is and what isn't realistic to hunt within that short period of time, in a fair chase condition. I was thinking a Sable or Kudu for myself, with a Zebra as second animal, and whatever my friend wishes for himself too (and who knows, maybe our wives will want to have a shot too - though I would be surprised).
The outfitter in question has a pretty clear "price per inch" list, as you can see below. I however do not know if such a categorised list is a god or bad sign, if hunting above or under a specific size is unethical (due to the animal being too young for example), nor if the price are correct or the hunting season appropriate.
I'd be looking in a mature animal, for Sable as dark skinned as possible as I understand this is a sign the animal is mature (and my wife prefers them that colour anyway).

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks, remarks and suggestions.

Have a nice day!

1642430039345.png

1642430069679.png

Not a fan of priced per inch, especially in with how broken down some of the above are. That said, the PG trophy fees seem to be quite fair. Not sure what or if there is a daily rate or minimum requirement. May be best to search reviews on the outfitter, or post a "wanted safari" add here, you will likely get our sponsors to send their availability and pricing as well as any other deals from AH reputable outfitters.

The prices appear in the correct range. What led you to this outfitter besides the camp? There are a lot of “rustic” camps. I’d start asking questions to the AH sponsors as a starting point to compare. Unfortunately June/July dates are going to be the most busy, so trying to book 3-4 days on short notice when you know they will be there might be challenging. You may need to shop around several outfitters at time to find an outfitter with openings that fit your schedule.

Also not a fan of the per inch deal, but the prices are in line for the most part with other outfitters. However, if you get a kudu larger that 56 it gets pretty spendy!

I agree with the other responses, I'd ask outfitters on here what kinda deal they can give. I found what I feel is a very good deal on plains game hunt. Good luck with the planning. Its half the fun lol

Arni’s, cool you wish to dive in on short Safari when your biking friends pedal & glide into S. Africa.

Outfitter rates are broken down into Daily Rates (lodging, food, licenses, PH, tracker, etc.) & Trophy Fees.

Questions/comments:
* There is no mention of Daily Rates?
* Most Outfitters have a ‘minimum’ # of days for a booking OR Hunters are limited to the more plentiful species like Impala, Blesbuck, etc.
* Above Trophy Fee’s are market range & not uncommon to have varying trophy fees by size/inches for Sable & Kudu. Deal: €2000 for Sable to 41”.

Happy Trails

I am also not a fan of price per inch.
In this case, you need to confirm if you shoot an animal with better horn in upper price range, by wrong judgement of Ph, how to handle this situation.

On a separate note, pricing is not the only indication of quality of outfitter.

Consider that general package cost is consisted of:

Daily rates + trophy fees.

Daily rates are
2:1 (cheaper) for two hunters on one PH
1:1 (more expensive) for one hunter on one PH.
it includes all service;s lodging, food, beverages, laundry, PH, skinner, tracker, 4wd.
There is also a day fee for companion, (a wife, if not hunting). called observers day rate.
Once you sort that out, you have package cost.

tipping, souvenirs, are not included, and clarify with outfitter are there extra services to be paid: for example drive to and from airport, or elsewhere. Or, renting the rifle. (some outfitters rent rifle for free, some charge 20 to 80 usd per day)

Price per inch turns me right off. Most outfitters don't do it, and it doesn't sound like fair chase if they can guarantee an animal of a certain size. It seems to me that a kudu/sable plus zebra plus a friend's animal plus animals for wives might need five days. Make a proposal to some of the Limpopo outfitters on AH.

I do not like the " system

Yes a pitch black sable is beautiful but if you want a old one rather look for worn down tips and secondary growth and mass on the horns......

Strange that they have leopard on the price list..........

Hi,

thanks for your answers.
Yes, there is daily fee for hunters and observers, 210€/day per hunter and 149€/day per observer, minimum 4 hunting days. Sorry I should have mentioned it earlier.
Size is 8000 acres, fenced, operating since 2001, membership by phasa and wildlife ranching wildbedryf sa

Thanks for the answer regarding the "per inch" price list, it seems to be pretty off putting for most of you, so rather a bad than a good sign. I'll continue looking around until my friends are in a place where we can have a phone call and discuss this further.

Last edited:
I do not like the " system

Yes a pitch black sable is beautiful but if you want a old one rather look for worn down tips and secondary growth and mass on the horns......

Strange that they have leopard on the price list..........

Thanks for the tip on how to spot a good mature sable. I'll most definitely keep that in mind. No clue about leopard, as I said it would be my first in Africa so not exactly aware of what can and can't be done.

Last edited:
A three or four day hunt may have you wishing it was longer, a lot longer. Africa is a Siren who has captured many an unsuspecting soul.

Perhaps I missed it but if you don’t know the outfit do you have references? I will recommend Ernest Dyason of Spear who is based in Limpopo and is on this forum. I have hunted with him and the only surprises you will have are all good. Don’t screw up your first Safari by hunting with an operator you know little about without references you can trust.

A three or four day hunt may have you wishing it was longer, a lot longer. Africa is a Siren who has captured many an unsuspecting soul.
I do not doubt that ;-) My first hunt, which was in Poland for red stag, I wish I could have stayed so much longer. And well RSA would be my second time, the first one was just in a very different setting than hunting.

@Arni's
In south Africa there is practise of game managment to improve the size of horn. It represents investment. The best breeding bulls are sold at auction. Genetcis are closely observed to prevent inbreeding. Their price is extremely high. So, in that type of managment investment must be returned. Thus the price per inch of horn.
I dont like that, but it is as it is. Many game ranchers manage in this way. Not all, but some. You can also check other offers when different type of pricing is applied. Botom line is, it is not sign of not good outfitter

There are also benfits in this, in restoring the genetics after some species have been affected by over-hunting in history. (roan, sable, bontebok, south african cape buffalo, etc)

According to breeders, African buffalo used to have horns spanning wider than 1.5 meters, but hunting removed the largest animals from the gene pool.

Breeders are trying to restore top genetics through breeding programmes – which is why buffalo with a wide horn span can fetch millions.

Hi,

thanks for your answers.
Yes, there is daily fee for hunters and observers, 210€/day per hunter and 149€/day per observer, minimum 4 hunting days. Sorry I should have mentioned it earlier.
Size is 8000 acres, fenced, operating since 2001, membership by phasa and wildlife ranching wildbedryf sa

Thanks for the answer regarding the "per inch" price list, it seems to be pretty off putting for most of you, so rather a bad than a good sign. I'll continue looking around until my friends are in a place where we can have a phone call and discuss this further.

Hey Arni’s,

Good follow-up Intel: those are competitive Daily Rates; Observer Rates are avg.; min. 4-days is also nice as must Operators I’ve researched req. 5-days & that’s seen on AH w/ many deals starting @ 5-days. An 8,000 acre hunting area is also decent size (32 Square KM), etc.

It appears this Operators location, pricing, & availability fits your groups desire for a short Safari stay/hunt. I would not be solely turned off by the “per inch” pricing, we’re talking three/3 species, & again not uncommon especially for Sable & Kudu. Some African Operators price by Medal Standard: Gold, Silver, Bronze & that’s by inch.

* Sable: most deals on AH are Bulls to 40 - 42”, then it’s $300 an inch. I only know of one Operator on AH offering a flat price hunt, no size limit.
* Greater Kudu in the Limpopo are Legendary & common to see ^ prices above 52”.
* Impala: the fact the Operator is mentioning Rams above 24” should get you excited & @ €350/$400 - deal!

Happy Trails.

not sure why he has leopard on price list, or at least say no permits etc

his prices are average compared to most outfitters some species high, some lowish

Hi Arni's

First off welcome to the best site for all Africa. I always get a plan and spreadsheet made for each safari, my must haves, wants, wishes then would be nice to haves. You have an idea of where, when and for what. I would get them organized and make a post on this site. You will be amazed at the offers you receive. I tend to hunt where price per inch rule is not practiced. I want a hunt and safari, shoot what PH says, not worry about price and is it in budget. For me its about experience overall.

I say those trophy fee (TF) prices are quoted in pounds and all are high. I just completed 21 days this summer with much lower TF. There are current safari's in the "deals and offers" on this site that may fit what you want. Your hunts in a few months so I suggest talking to some of those outfitters to see if they can offer your requirements.

Good luck. Planning a safari is all part of the safari excitement.

MB

Prices seem high, but I'm comparing what you could get in Namibia. At any rate, the advice given above on going with a recommended outfitter is good advice. But get hold of previous clients and see what their comments are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,