Sako 85 - Ring Height & Ejection Issues

This is the comment I wrote on the "Canadian Gun Nutz" website about this issue. I hope it adds some useful information:

"The cause of the problem is too much clearance between the claw of the extractor and the face of the bolt. So there is a few thousandths too much clearance between the rim of the cartridge and the claw. Because of the slack, when the ejector blade hits the case at the 6 o'clock position, the case starts to move upwards instead of to the side. It achieves enough momentum to continue moving upwards and hits the scope adjustment turret.

Some "problem" model 85 Sako rifles, like my M85 Bavarian 7x64 can be easily fixed by a extra length / extra strength extractor spring that holds the extractor claw against the case with a bit more tension as it is extracted. I bought the appropriate spring from Gary Eakin, Bighorn Sales in Houston BC.

My Sako M85 Kodiak .375 H&H did not respond to the stronger spring trick. And I wanted to use it as a dangerous game rifle. Not good. It was fixed by having a new extractor claw built by a skilled machinist. It now has 0.004" clearance between rim of case and claw when case is firmly against the bolt face. Now it is perfectly functional. I wish Sako would have designed the extractor claw properly to begin with. It's the only defect I have found with their rifles."

I eventually found that the stronger spring I installed in my 7x64 was not the best solution. As the original sharp edge of the extractor was gradually dulled after much use, the grip on the case was diminished and the problem returned. So a new extractor fixed the problem permanently. I installed it myself with minimum tools. A small screwdriver and a needle nose pliers. And it was cheap and easy. Annoying though.

Somebody could make a good business building new extractors for Sako 85's. Many, many rifles benefit from after market triggers, so why not extractors?

While on the ejection angle topic, push feed Remington 700s and similar models that have had either a Sako or an M-16 type extractor fit to them, will many times eject cases at a much too high angle.

I had two Sako 85 Black Bears, one in .308, one in 9.3X62. Never a problem with the .308, but the 9.3 had the ejection issue. Too bad, great rifle otherwise.

Here's another question for all of you who use the Optilock rings:

I'm looking at the one piece Optilock ringmounts--the ones that don't require bases (i.e. all one piece ring/base to fit on each dovetail). These ringmounts come in two sizes: 1" and 30mm scope diameter; they are not offered in different heights. It looks like the 30mm ringmount can accommodate scopes with up to a 42mm objective lens diameter. Would this ringmount place a 24mm objective lens diameter scope like the one I will be using too high? Comparing these to the low Talley or Leupold mounts, they seem like they sit a bit higher.

Below is a screenshot of a guy installing a Zeiss Conquest with a 42mm objective with the 30mm ringmounts. Does this seem like it would be too high for the Leica 1-6x24, or am I just being fussy? For those of you using Optilocks, are you using the one piece ringmounts, and if so, are they low enough for you?

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

The one piece optilock rings won't allow you to move the scope as far forward as the two piece. Therefore the scope will be closer to your eye than some people like. On a higher recoil rifle, this could be a problem.

Man, I wish Sako would solve this. I've passed on more than a couple of very cool Sako 85 rifles solely because of this issue. I'm too CDO (OCD in alphabetical order) to rotate the scope 90 degrees. Ain't natural.

Someone mentioned that more recent models are not having the same issue. Can anybody confirm this?

I have a 85 varmint in .223 with optilok low ringmounts holding S&B 2.5-10×40. If cases are ejected with force they will sometimes contact the scope windage cover but they still fall outside of the action .

@Louis Toadvine

try google search for manual for optilock mounts, in pdf.
There you have a list of combination of scope dimensions per height of mount: low, medium, high.

@Louis Toadvine

try google search for manual for optilock mounts, in pdf.
There you have a list of combination of scope dimensions per height of mount: low, medium, high.

Thanks. I had come across that PDF before. That seems to show dimensions and recommendations for the separate base and ring system, and not the one piece ringmounts. That might be the direction I have to go vs. the ringmounts.

This is a picture of the old and new extractors on my M85, hope that the picture and descriptions makes things clearer.

IMG_5735.jpeg
IMG_5738.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to all,
I'm a new guy here, and I hope you all doing well.
I know this is an older thread, nevertheless, I was wondering if anyone has tried a little deflector on the windage turret?

I understand the situation and wonder about the scope you are wanting to use. The issue I’ve heard of is with a large windage turret That sticks out so far it causes ejection issues. If you go with a Swarovski scope the turrets are easily removed. I don’t know why anyone would want or need a windage turret for most hunting scenarios.
Philip

I understand the situation and wonder about the scope you are wanting to use. The issue I’ve heard of is with a large windage turret That sticks out so far it causes ejection issues. If you go with a Swarovski scope the turrets are easily removed. I don’t know why anyone would want or need a windage turret for most hunting scenarios.
Philip
Or rotate the scope 90 degrees to the left if there is no turret on the left side and the reticle is a plain duplex. Then there is no turret for the empty cartridge to hit, even with low rings.

Sorry, I forgot to update this thread after I received my rifle. I mounted a Swarovski Z8i with the one-piece Optilocks and have had no issues with ejecting cases (knock on wood).

Never had a problem with any of my sako 85 rifles including larger calibre ones including several re-barrelled to wildcats.
But haven’t mounted scopes on 500J or 416 Rigby the iron sights work very well for me and before someone say young eyes mine are 70+ lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!