Sako 85 - Ring Height & Ejection Issues

Louis Toadvine

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I asked this question over in a classified ad, but figured I'd source a bigger crowd and gather consensus.

I just ordered my first Sako 85 (chambered in 8x57) and will likely use a set of Talley QD rings and bases. I've used Talley QD rings in the past and like them a great deal; I don't have any experience with the Optilok mounts Sako recommends, though I've read lots of positive experiences with them. I will be mounting a scope with a 30mm straight tube, and I'd like to have the scope mounted as low as possible without interfering with bolt movement or ejected cartridges.

Low rings should be fine with the 70 degree bolt lift, but I've read a lot about the 85's ejection issues--especially with large scopes/turrets, or those mounted too low--so I'm concerned I'll have an issue with the low rings and will have to step up to the medium height. I know the issue is primarily with larger cartridges (i.e. .375+ and magnum lengths), but I have read about rare issues with rounds in the 8x57 ballpark like 30-06 or .270.

I'm trying to decide if I should just go with the mediums up front and avoid a potential headache. The Talley Sako base adds a little bit of height, too, so that might provide some space and make the low rings a possibility. I just don't want any ejection issues. I've read of ways to remedy the ejection problems (rolling the scope 90 degrees counterclockwise to move the knob away from the ejection port), but I would rather not have to do that if possible.

Would appreciate any input or feedback from those more versed in the 85. Thanks in advance.

It would be helpful to know what scope you are mounting. As you mentioned, if it only has 2 turrets and a plain heavy duplex reticle, you can rotate it 90 degrees to the left to avoid potential ejection problems with hitting the turret and bouncing back into the chamber.

@TOBY458 has done this with one of his Sako rifles.

I had problems with my 375 H&H ejection. But my current two 30/06 rifles don't have the same issue. My 9.3x62 I had didn't either. I use Leupold scopes with the short, standard turrets, so if using a scope with larger turrets, who knows?

I have 4 SAKO rifles all with SAKO Rings and Bases, one of which is a 375 H&H. I have the low mounts and do not have a problem with ejection. All have Leica ER Scopes.

It would be helpful to know what scope you are mounting. As you mentioned, if it only has 2 turrets and a plain heavy duplex reticle, you can rotate it 90 degrees to the left to avoid potential ejection problems with hitting the turret and bouncing back into the chamber.

@TOBY458 has done this with one of his Sako rifles.

I'm planning to mount a Leica Amplus 6 1-6x24i. It's a 4a reticle, so rotating will not be ideal. I also have a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x24 I could use, but I want to use that on a different rifle.

I believe it was Toby's videos and posts where I first heard/saw the rotating the scope fix.

I'm planning to mount a Leica Amplus 6 1-6x24i. It's a 4a reticle, so rotating will not be ideal. I also have a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x24 I could use, but I want to use that on a different rifle.

I believe it was Toby's videos and posts where I first heard/saw the rotating the scope fix.
Yeah, rotation isn't a viable option with the Leica scope. I had the VX-3 1.5x20 on my 375H&H, but for your 8x57 it could be a little underpowered for what you want.

I say mount the scope in the rings you want and give it a try. If it doesn't work (ALL THE TIME) post it so we can all learn and work towards a solution.

I believe it was @Longwalker had one of his Sako 85's worked to properly eject because he had a similar problem, but I'm not positive it was him. Whoever it was I know they came out of pocket to make the correction.

I had problems with my 375 H&H ejection. But my current two 30/06 rifles don't have the same issue. My 9.3x62 I had didn't either. I use Leupold scopes with the short, standard turrets, so if using a scope with larger turrets, who knows?

I have 4 SAKO rifles all with SAKO Rings and Bases, one of which is a 375 H&H. I have the low mounts and do not have a problem with ejection. All have Leica ER Scopes.

This is good to know, thank you! Hopefully I won't have any issues with the 8mm Mauser round; it does seem like the 9.3x62/.375 and above is the cutoff where the issue becomes more prevalent.

A buddy of mine bought a Sako 85 in 7mm Rem. mag. a few years ago. He set it up with Sako low optilock ring mounts and a Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope. He had problems with ejected cases hitting the scope and falling back into the action. Beretta was of no help. They just told him to try different mounts and scope combinations. He wound up selling the rifle. What really bugs me is Beretta keeps making these rifles with a known design deficiency.

Dont know how a scope can be mounted too low....the lower the better and yes Sako have some rifles I will never own are a problem in larger calibers....
Compensating for a design issue with higher scope mounts is not my idee of resolving an issue.....
All about fit, reliabilty and balance....if you do not have proper cheack weld on the stock due to trying to resolve an ejectiion problem buy a different rifle....
Some rifles I will never own are modern Sako, M77, Rem 700, Weatherby.........
And yes I have a Weatherby actioned custom 338 Lapua and a Sako çontrolled round field 222 rem inherited from my grandmother...then again I may be too old school and place too much in absolute reliabilty.....

Yeah, rotation isn't a viable option with the Leica scope. I had the VX-3 1.5x20 on my 375H&H, but for your 8x57 it could be a little underpowered for what you want.

I say mount the scope in the rings you want and give it a try. If it doesn't work (ALL THE TIME) post it so we can all learn and work towards a solution.

I believe it was @Longwalker had one of his Sako 85's worked to properly eject because he had a similar problem, but I'm not positive it was him. Whoever it was I know they came out of pocket to make the correction.

Will do. I'll go with the low rings and see what happens. If it fails, I'll be sure to post about it here.

I'm just really excited to get my hands on that rifle, so I'm finding myself thinking about it constantly and going over all the hypotheticals and the variables (scope/rings, sling, etc.). 8x57 is a new cartridge for me, so I'm still researching the best loads for it, too. Can't wait.

I guess I am saying I dont understand why somebody buys a rifle with known design flaws.....
Much like the Land Rover brigade that will tell you it is the best thing since sliced bread just because they own one....

Dont know how a scope can be mounted too low....the lower the better and yes Sako have some rifles I will never own are a problem in larger calibers....
Compensating for a design issue with higher scope mounts is not my idee of resolving an issue.....
All about fit, reliabilty and balance....if you do not have proper cheack weld on the stock due to trying to resolve an ejectiion problem buy a different rifle....
Some rifles I will never own are modern Sako, M77, Rem 700, Weatherby.........
And yes I have a Weatherby actioned custom 338 Lapua and a Sako çontrolled round field 222 rem inherited from my grandmother...then again I may be too old school and place too much in absolute reliabilty.....

Understandable. We all have our preferences, and I think we all have rifles/manufacturers we wouldn't want to own.

Cool good luck....look on the bright side at least it is not a DG caliber you may get lucky..

I guess I am saying I dont understand why somebody buys a rifle with known design flaws.....
Much like the Land Rover brigade that will tell you it is the best thing since sliced bread just because they own one....

Again, I get that you don't understand why someone would want a Sako 85. I got it the first time you posted it, and I'm cool with that.

I have the 85 Kodiak in 375 H&H with medium height leupold QD mounts (the low were too low for me to get proper cheek weld). Even with the medium mounts I need to turn the scope 90 degrees or the empty hits the scope caps and falls back in almost every time. Scope is a very simple trijicon accupoint with very low profile adjustment turrets. Turned 90 degrees there are no issues. Runs perfectly.

Certainly dont....

Good luck once again....

I have 3 scoped sako 85s all low mounts. The 300 win ejects no issues. The 375 and 270 unfortunately needed the scope turned. The low mounts provide the best fit for the rifles. I’d risk low first and hope for best. They are great rifles other than this. Turning the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise is a pretty easy solution. I actually don’t understand why scopes aren’t designed that way since most are right hand shooters.

No, I plan to hunt buff and elephant with it, hopefully without a PH backing me up. I think that seems totally reasonable. :ROFLMAO:
Ask IvW for his experience on why he hates sakos so much and you will get no reply, just a strong opinion. You just have to learn your Sako rifle like any other rifle. I’ve used my 375 H&H kodiak on multiple trips to Africa. It’s a great rifle once you turn scope but it is an unfortunate design flaw that needs fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.