SAFETY WARNING!

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by PaulT, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I agree with pmwojtek.
    Witold

2. Kano

Kano AH Senior Member

A Blaser straight pull is faster to reload, and you can have several calibers with one rifle.

Throw it at the back of a pickup, put some sand and mud in it, let it rust ever so slightly inside the action, and you'll call Mama Mauser very quick...

Open the action, look at these flimsy rails, and try to imagine in which shape the thing would be if you left it with the trackers for ten minutes...

If your life depends on something, you want it rock solid, as simple as possible, and reliable in whatever conditions it finds itself. That's why AK and Mauser reign supreme in their respective fields. They are not the fastest, they are not pretty, they are sloppy and full of large gaps, but they get the job done when others have jammed long ago...

3. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I agre with Kano. Action Mauser m98 is just perfect.
    Witold

4. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe

I have read of instances of the problem but don't know anything about them. ie: possible hot charge, etc. This is photos from a five minute internet search. More info is out there if you want to do the research.

upload_2015-5-9_11-36-51.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. robertq

robertq AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
    Hunted:
    Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
    I have a Blaser R9
    I purchase it in 08, I had a problem with the safety.When you would slide the safety up it would no stay you had to push it a few times before it stayed. The same process would happen when taking the safety off. I sent it back to blaser to be fixed.When speaking to a Blaser rep. he stated the proper way to use the pull back bolt was with a open hand and slam it.....
    I look at all the photo and listen to all the opinions....
    Let's look at how many people get injury's from the R93 and how many R93's made...
    1) was the bolt pushed all the way ?
    2) was there reloading involved ?
    3) Do you think if all this is true, would you send you bolt back to Blaser for a check ?
    4) human factor is also involved.
    I think the Blaser is a fine rifle, but all of this has me thinking...... We need facts.....
    There is another point I would like to make, remember the Remington 700 bolt action discharging when the safety was on what was the out come.
    If I owned a Remington and had heard of this I would send it back for a check...
    The point I'm making is when you send your gun back to the manufacture they will make all modification with out you knowing. IMG_1460.JPG

6. Bruce Fletcher

Bruce Fletcher AH Member

Straight pull bolt action is much quicker on the second shot. The only thing faster with the second shot is a double rifle.

7. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    Hi Bruce Fletcher,

Your definition of "much quicker" is evidently different than my definition of that term.

What I see as an almost imperceivable difference in time laps in delivering an .. accurate 2nd or 3rd etc., shot between the turn bolt and the straight pull is narrowed even further when discussing calibers with stout recoil.

Incidentally, I seem to be about as fast with my 11 pound .458 Lott Mauser as I am with my 9.9 pound Heym double in .458 Winchester, in terms of delivering an accurate second shot, due of course to plenty of recoil.

Personally, even if my perception of what seems like a very small fraction of a second is wrong, I would never risk my life, or even the sight in one eye for speed of re-chambering another round.

It is good that guys like you and I have our own ideas because that is part of what makes life interesting.

Kind regards,
    Velo Dog.

Last edited: May 19, 2015

8. Big5

Big5 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
    +1 . . . To each his own, but I too will stick to a good ol' turn bolt action versus a straight pull bolt for the various reasons stated above. I won't gamble with my eyesight when I believe any real speed difference under practical field hunting conditions would be academic.

Either way, good hunting to you all.

Velo Dog likes this.

9. BG338

BG338 New Member

Hi bud - yes I do know them but like in most cases the information has not been realest to the public ! I suspect the person this happened to will take legal action and seek everything they are entitled to - for this failure of the Blaser Rifle - weather the information on the failure or the pics become public - I don't know - I hope they do but I can only imagine that Blaser will not want the pics and photos of the rifle or the ammo to hit the Internet !
    I have it on good source that the Australian Snipers Who use Blaser Rifles are having massive Problems with Head Spacing Issues ! And I believe the Australian SOG (Special Operations Group ) will also be moving away from these rifles due to the consern for there members safety after a member from the forensic department sore the spent brass from this rifle and reported back to the Vic police - I believe the vic police also sent a letter to Blaser recommending all these rifles be recalled for inspect due to the failure ! Has this happened ? I don't believe Blaser have action this that I know of !

10. Scott Slough

Scott Slough AH Fanatic

Member of:
    SCI, Pineywoods SCI, NAHC, TTH
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    The only thing faster is making the first shot count so you don't need a second shot!

sierraone, Velo Dog and Big5 like this.

11. Pondoro

Pondoro AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
    I would not touch (use..) a R93 or R8 for that matter for all the tea in China..

A friend bought a R8 Kilombero in .375H&H (NOK 64.000,- )...my impression of it is clumsy, overly heavy and when working the bolt it sounds like moving around cheap chinese steel...:Vomit:

What IS it with this Blaser thing....like the emperors new clothing or what...??

Panielsen, Velo Dog and Big5 like this.

12. Velo Dog

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    Pondoro,

Yours is the most profound question I have seen in quite a long time.

Cheers,
    Velo Dog.

Big5 likes this.

13. Kano

Kano AH Senior Member

It's a bit like when one says that he doesn't like Glocks... :D

14. Velo Dog

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    Glocks do not put me off because they occasionally slam a steel bar into the shooter's face, such as are the reports on the latest straight pull rifles of today (the old Canadian Ross rifle did that sometimes as well).

Glocks put me off because they are very square or "block-like" and their triggers feel "mushy".

Panielsen likes this.

15. Kano

Kano AH Senior Member

Velo, I meant that as soon as you criticize a Blaser or a Glock - for whatever reason - the aficionados react viscerally, and you can't hold a reasoned discussion... It's a bit like trying to make sense in a discussion about religion.

Fully agreed, Glocks don't send the slide flying back into your teeth!

Velo Dog likes this.

16. Velo Dog

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    I totally got that but it is difficult for a smartass like myself to pass up a cheap shot at any unwieldy handgun, with mushy trigger pull, much less any rifle known to sometimes slam a steel bar into the shooter's face.

17. Velo Dog

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    You are right about the visceral responses.
    Kinda reminds me of when I was in the 5th grade, when I almost got beat up for saying I didn't like Beetle music.
    I had to run like a rabbit toward the Teacher on the play ground, or face the consequences of my blasphemy.
    I wasn't even being a smartass that time, I really did not care for their music, still don't care for it (or Glocks, or straight pull rifles, politicians, plastic stocks, mean women and I could go on all day -LOL).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Paul Homsy, Panielsen and bluey like this.

18. Kano

Kano AH Senior Member

Guess that pretty much rules out you voting for Hillary, does it? :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
    Velo Dog likes this.

19. Panielsen

Panielsen AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    United States, Limpopo South Africa