SAFETY WARNING!

GuttormG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I just can't see how a traditional bolt action is safer, the lockup is weaker if anything.
Strength is only one part of the equation, how a gun I desigen to protect the shooter if something fails is just as important. And there lies the beauty of the m98!
When working the Blaser R93 is probably 5-10 times stronger then it need to be. Good. Helps nothing when it fails.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
as the above post says, you have to respect the failsafe aspect of the mauser 98 design.
the fact that an action designed in the 1800s can function quite safely with such rounds as 7mm rem mag for a lifetime speaks loudly for both the design and the safety if something goes wrong.
metals then were nothing like metals today.
if they started to fail, they set back rather than letting go.
they had a safety lug at the root of the bolt handle.
they directed gas away from the shooter.
an ammount of thought obviously went into what would happen under less than ideal conditions, and was engineered in.
somewhere in this thread it mentions a test done in australia of a straight pull action.
it mentions fingers breaking off one by one.
could these fingers have been not bearing evenly in their recesses, allowing one or a few to take all the thrust?
if one lug is not bearing in a mauser, the other one will set back until both bear, taking equal load.
soft steel does have some benefits.
bruce.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I don’t know why this post still exists. It was started years ago about some failures with the Blaser R93 which is no longer made. Since so few of them had a problem I am certain there are underlying reason for the failure that are out of Blasers control.
Kill this once and for all!

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
Interesting video on guns with obstructed barrels blowing up (or not), shot at 4000 frames per second.

That test is 100% bullshit. If you believe that I can sell you the USS Missouri going cheap. Questions to ask, what ammo was used in each test? How many slugs were in each barrel? How tight was the vice done up on each rifle. Look how far back each rifle recoils.

It was the barrel that went not the action. The Rem 700 actions have been PROVEN to be some of the strongest going. Period.

That video has been discredited that many times since it first came out it is not funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WallaceMaj

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh