Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
Just got word through my travel agent here in Australia, that SAA are carrying firearms again. Good news and more options available to hunters.

Here's the message...

Screenshot_20220701-150740_Email.jpg

I would not fly SAA irrespective.

Not my first preference, but another option. And with flight times/availability there's sometimes not much choice...

I liked SAA, a bit outdated cabins but OK service and no fuzz about guns.

Beware they are not flying to all domestic locations either, they did not service Port Elizabeth 2 weeks ago,
My opinion Airlink is best option of the 2 domestic airlines that handle firearms, be sure to get email confirmation for rifle transport and have it printed out for your record. MUST be done min. 3 days before departure.

Good news.

I would take what they say with a pinch of salt and avoid using SAA ever again.

I’m confused. I thought SAA was kuput. Bankrupt. Not the case?

I know, or at least think, that Airlink is still in business. They used to be affiliated with SAA but are a separate business entity.

What‘s the real scoop?

South African Airways had 51% of its shares bought by an investment group that is hoping to turn the company around, the other 49% are still owned by the government. They are flying again but very limited routes. I have read a bunch of articles where the purchase price was $3. I think there is a court case on it now but I may be mistaken.

You are correct that Airlink is still in business. Airlink has nothing to do with South African Airways, they split off long ago and are a privately held company. They do a good job in my opinion and is the airline of choice for me when I need to do an interior flight or even a short haul international from South Africa to Zim, etc. They have over 50 aircraft now and are one of the larger airlines in Africa. Since they carry guns, it really is a no brainer on who to fly with. I think Safair is the other airline that carries rifles but I know nothing about them and I think they just barely started carrying them.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Too late, SAA. Already booked with Airlink for my hunt next spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg