Ruger No 1 *** Questions ***

275r7x57

AH veteran
Reaction score
I would like to know the following about Ruger No 1’s in 375 H&H in particular.

1. Is there different barrel sizes, profiles and weights? If so please explain.

2. Is there a chart somewhere that shows all of the calibers and there configurations?

3. I have seen barrel weights listed by different letters. Is there a chart for this? And please explain.

Thanks for any help and info.

Thanks

Suggest you get a copy of "Ruger & His Guns", a bargain at $25.

A good website with lots of No.1 info and the guy sells rifles from time to time.

This is a 2018 listing and prices have gone up significantly!

I don't claim to be a Ruger no1 expert and I may be wrong, but I think the 375h&h is only produced in the 1-H tropical. At least that's all I have seen it in.
Yes, the H model Tropical.

The .375 H&H was only chambered in the Ruger No. 1 Tropical. Only one barrel contour, only one twist rate (1:12"), only one configuration. A friend of mine has it (I have the .450-400 version) and loves it--I've shot his and it is easily an MOA rifle.

The .375 H&H was only chambered in the Ruger No. 1 Tropical. Only one barrel contour, only one twist rate (1:12"), only one configuration. A friend of mine has it (I have the .450-400 version) and loves it--I've shot his and it is easily an MOA rifle.
Tom, how do you compare the recoil his to yours?

Hi, Kevin--I've shot my friend's with his 300gr handloads and mine with 400gr Hornady DGX. I'd say recoil of mine is more noticeable. He has since replaced the buttpad with something a lot softer and the difference is even more marked. I'm hanging on to my .450-400 No. 1 more for sentimental reasons, since I don't foresee taking it to Africa any time soon--I've since acquired a hefty double rifle in the 3 1/4" version that will be a lot more pleasant to shoot.

Here are a couple pics of a vintage Ruger Catalog...Hope this can be of some help!
20220512_142118.jpg

20220512_142054.jpg

I know they chambered so many others calibers, but it could be a start...

I was just asking in regard to a listing, 450/400. Someone asked which Barrel was on it, diameter, weight, profile: "C or D"?
The 458's 416's & 375 all appear to have the "D" or heavy barrel. The member explained: A limited # of 450/400's had a "D", the majority of 450/400's were fitted with "C", lighter barrel.

ie, internet pic.
1111.jpg
idk know if this helps at all, but interesting none the less ..

I would like to know the following about Ruger No 1’s in 375 H&H in particular.

1. Is there different barrel sizes, profiles and weights? If so please explain.

2. Is there a chart somewhere that shows all of the calibers and there configurations?

3. I have seen barrel weights listed by different letters. Is there a chart for this? And please explain.

Thanks for any help and info.

Thanks
664E804D-56AA-4E24-B522-681696C9A434.jpeg
My Ruger #1 in 375 H&H pictured far right has an 1 H Barrel. Nice and heavy with easy recoil. Enlarge the picture and you will see how much heavier the barrels is compared to the 300 WM just to the left. The #1s are my favorite rifles.

View attachment 466012My Ruger #1 in 375 H&H pictured far right has an 1 H Barrel. Nice and heavy with easy recoil. Enlarge the picture and you will see how much heavier the barrels is compared to the 300 WM just to the left. The #1s are my favorite rifles.
Beautiful collection ..

I’m not up on the specifics of the #1s, but will say they will be almost 4” shorter than a bolt action of the same bbl length. They are also heavier than they look, the receiver is massive without being ugly or blocky. The #1 is also one of the strongest actions out there, all this while being beautiful.
I like them!

I’m not up on the specifics of the #1s, but will say they will be almost 4” shorter than a bolt action of the same bbl length. They are also heavier than they look, the receiver is massive without being ugly or blocky. The #1 is also one of the strongest actions out there, all this while being beautiful.
I like them!
As you might have noticed I Love them

I was just asking in regard to a listing, 450/400. Someone asked which Barrel was on it, diameter, weight, profile: "C or D"?
The 458's 416's & 375 all appear to have the "D" or heavy barrel. The member explained: A limited # of 450/400's had a "D", the majority of 450/400's were fitted with "C", lighter barrel.

ie, internet pic.
View attachment 465981idk know if this helps at all, but interesting none the less ..
I think the .375's were also in a C weight barrel. My .375 and my .458 Lott are notably different in barrel size. The Lott is quite large, while the .375 is just right.
FB_IMG_1624431970667.jpg
FB_IMG_1624431978001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Al Gamecock

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you