RSA to be placed on “Do Not Travel” list??

I realize many are willing to put up with this BS, I am not. Guess it depends on how bad you want to go, for me, not that bad. Too many hoops to jump thru. Its bad enough when things are perfect.
To each their own. For me, it's a ton of work planning this trip, adding a nasal swab on either side is no big deal IMO

I can see that with civil unrest etc but if they leave you high and dry because of a covid warning I'd be shocked, even considering its the government
I would count on Ripcord and their ilk long before a US Embassy regardless of destination.

And @sestoppelman ? Humor him. ;) He has simply become a curmudgeon - happens to many of us of a certain age. :E Shrug: I fight its onset by simply reminding myself how few years I likely have remaining to be able to do these sorts of adventures. Zambia in August!

www.etsuhealth.org

If scheduling on line you’ll need a front and back copy of your insurance card. I just took a pic of mine with phone and attached.

It’s a drive through PCR in the parking garage at ETSU, when scheduling leave comment you need email copy to print for travel. They said to also tell the nurses doing the test you need an email copy. They get results in 8 hours or less.
Thanks for the info TNDave.
Are they testing on Saturdays?
I was able to get in touch with the VA, I have to call back Monday to set up an appointment for Friday, should have my results in 60-90 minutes after.

As a side question for the AH community:

I called the local Walgreen Pharmacy and they offer a Covid PCR test, get results back by email in an hour. HOWEVER, it is not accepted for those traveling. The nearest Walgreen Pharmacy that offers the travelers Covid PCR test is about 12 miles from where I live no big deal.

Have I missed something(?), I haven't heard of 2 different Covid PCR test. The pharmacist said with either test I can choose whether to get my results in an hour by email or in about 4 or 5 days by mail.

Last edited:
Don't feel too bad RSA, Canada made the list as well.

I would count on Ripcord and their ilk long before a US Embassy regardless of destination.

And @sestoppelman ? Humor him. ;) He has simply become a curmudgeon - happens to many of us of a certain age. :E Shrug: I fight its onset by simply reminding myself how few years I likely have remaining to be able to do these sorts of adventures. Zambia in August!
I resemble that remark!:love:

I was able to get in touch with the VA, I have to call back Monday to set up an appointment for Friday, should have my results in 60-90 minutes after.

I called the local Walgreen Pharmacy and they offer a Covid PCR test, get results back by email in an hour. HOWEVER, it is not accepted for those traveling. The nearest Walgreen Pharmacy that offers the travelers Covid PCR test is about 12 miles from where I live no big deal.

Have I missed something(?), I haven't heard of 2 different Covid PCR test. The pharmacist said with either test I can choose whether to get my results in an hour by email or in about 4 or 5 days by mail.

If the test results have “Rapid” any where on them, they will not be accepted. Saw that first hand with another passenger

If the test results have “Rapid” any where on them, they will not be accepted. Saw that first hand with another passenger
Thanks Edster. I'll make sure to my results doesn't say "Rapid".

To each their own. For me, it's a ton of work planning this trip, adding a nasal swab on either side is no big deal IMO
Its not just the swab, thats easy, its the constant canceling of flights and dealing with refunds, rebookings, masking up on the plane the whole time, dealing with all manner of unhappy people, (its worse now than ever), the whole thing is just a big put off.
I had a trip planned for last year but got canceled like so many did. I was really looking forward to it, but after all this BS I dont know. Maybe next year or the year after.

Why would you want to - they never have an ammo in stock, either!?!
I have ammo for all my rifles and handguns, probably until the end of my time, just not every kind of bullet for each gun. But I buy nearly everything else at Walmart.

Why would you want to - they never have an ammo in stock, either!?!
Every couple of weeks or so, I take a stroll through both Walmart AND Sportsman's Warehouse here and gaze at the empty ammo/reloading components shelves, and reminisce about "the days of yore". Ha! Ha! Ha! Not really funny though, because as long as Sleepy China Joe is our dictator, they'll remain empty for the most part. They have plenty of rifles though?

Stuff comes in randomly but it's gone in a couple hours.
I got 3 500pk Remington thunderbolt 22s the other day for only $9 a box.
.243 last week also

Its not just the swab, thats easy, its the constant canceling of flights and dealing with refunds, rebookings, masking up on the plane the whole time, dealing with all manner of unhappy people, (its worse now than ever), the whole thing is just a big put off.
I had a trip planned for last year but got canceled like so many did. I was really looking forward to it, but after all this BS I dont know. Maybe next year or the year after.
Like I said, to each their own, whatever works for you.

But this is a dream i never imagined to accomplish this soon and I'm particularly motivated to try and get my leopard while they are still being imported. *knock on wood* Ethiopian has been one of the most consistent airlines with schedules etc through all this and if it changes that's why I pay a travel agent for a trip like this

After 8 trips over the fire has cooled just a bit..... enjoy your trip.

Just saw an article in WSJ about fake Covid tests becoming a problem. Who would’ve thought? Make a pain in the ass requirement and folks start offering a way around it.
Here where I live the vaccinations seem to be slowing down because many, who are not in the high risk groups, don’t see any perks in getting it. Lift public mask and testing requirements and watch the rush for the vaccine begin. I mean, if it’s truly effective then why not? You can still be exposed in the 48 or 72 hrs after testing.

Many feel, me among them, that with continued masking and social distancing, closures etc. being required for the foreseeable future, whats the point in getting vaccinated? If the shots work there should be no need of all the BS.
We seem to be nearing herd immunity as it is, infection rates are down, and we live a low exposure lifestyle here already.
Nobody in my family has been vaccinated. Not saying I never will but for the moment, not.

There are a number of rt-PCR (reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction) tests that detect the RNA from the SAR-CoV2 virus (Covid 19). These tests take anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours to run depending on the extraction technique and generally require a full clinical pathology lab setup (think a hospital or LabCorp facility) and are reported out by the site that process them, and they are usually run in batches. The "rapid" 15 minute or less tests are typically antigen tests that test for surface proteins of the virus(such as Abbott BINAX) or the "molecular" tests that react to parts of the virus' nuclear material (such as Abbot ID now) These can be done and read onsite at an airport, pharmacy, or doctor's office. The latter tests are not universally accepted for international travel or travel to Hawaii. Interestingly, the US CDC regulations do permit the use of all of the types of test for re-entry to the country by citizens- but some airlines insist on rt-PCR regardless.
rt-PCR is the gold standard of testing for covid with a very high accuracy. The rapid tests, not so much.
Having been involved with collecting and processing of several hundred thousand of these things over the last 14 months, I bet the first Walgreen's one had the Abbott ID-now molecular test which is often confused with a "real" rt-PCR which was only available at the second store.
Probably more than you wanted to know. It's all a confusing pain in the ass, I get it. Until the pandemic wanes- which will happen when enough of the world is vaccinated- these contradictory and slightly illogical regulations will persist, I'm afraid.

There are a number of rt-PCR (reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction) tests that detect the RNA from the SAR-CoV2 virus (Covid 19). These tests take anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours to run depending on the extraction technique and generally require a full clinical pathology lab setup (think a hospital or LabCorp facility) and are reported out by the site that process them, and they are usually run in batches. The "rapid" 15 minute or less tests are typically antigen tests that test for surface proteins of the virus(such as Abbott BINAX) or the "molecular" tests that react to parts of the virus' nuclear material (such as Abbot ID now) These can be done and read onsite at an airport, pharmacy, or doctor's office. The latter tests are not universally accepted for international travel or travel to Hawaii. Interestingly, the US CDC regulations do permit the use of all of the types of test for re-entry to the country by citizens- but some airlines insist on rt-PCR regardless.
rt-PCR is the gold standard of testing for covid with a very high accuracy. The rapid tests, not so much.
Having been involved with collecting and processing of several hundred thousand of these things over the last 14 months, I bet the first Walgreen's one had the Abbott ID-now molecular test which is often confused with a "real" rt-PCR which was only available at the second store.
Probably more than you wanted to know. It's all a confusing pain in the ass, I get it. Until the pandemic wanes- which will happen when enough of the world is vaccinated- these contradictory and slightly illogical regulations will persist, I'm afraid.
Thanks highstepper for the relative clarification.

By your explanation then I/we (all of us planning on traveling) need to insure we get is the rt PCR test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross