Ron Thomson On Good Morning Britain - Piers Morgan Rages As Elephant Killer Tells Him I Feel Nothing

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bailey Vinac, May 3, 2019.

1. larry4831

larry4831 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NRA
    My grandmother used to do it, grab the chicken by the neck and wring it ,that’s how they ate back then.

2. larry4831

larry4831 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NRA
    I went on the Internet and it said there were 415,000 elephants left. You think someone like queers .....I’m sorry I meant Peirs would have his numbers right when he starts an argument with someone. 415,000 is a long way from 4000.

3. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Once again, I get to sound like a broken record. This is yet another example of how we and the antis are talking past each other. We point to science, and they point to emotion. In this case, guess which will win most of the time?

If you have any doubt that even the best intentioned can be moved by purely emotional arguments, I suggest you look at this:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e5fed...hyaenas_in_the_southern_Namib_Parks_final.pdf

If the link doesn't work, it's to the most recent (May 1) Conservation Frontlines bulletin, and refers to the killing of native hyena to protect non-native feral horses in Namibia. Every scientist involved was against the decision, but even a country as well-intentioned as Namibia gave way to the emotional views of horse lovers.

We will never convince those who view the killing of individuals animals as crimes against nature, even if it is in service of conservation by any scientific yardstick. I have very little doubt that Pier Morgan - not terribly popular with the British public at the best of times - would have been seen as winning this debate outright by a strong majority of the same public.

Wish I had a solution.

Attached Files:

4. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    Shoot the fkn horses....only good for lion bait anyway ....(y):D.....give me a hyaena over a horse anytime.......

5. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I agree completely - the horses couldn't even survive where they are without supplemental feeding and watering. Nothing natural about their presence at all. But you can't suggest shooting a horse to a horse person . . . logic goes out the window. Thus my point!

Tom Hawk and Ridgewalker like this.

6. npm352

npm352 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I did like how the arguement went from....why.....which was explained pretty clearly why it was needed....to....but okay...well...ummm.... "I just don't like how you say that you did this.....the words offend me even if it was needed."

I do not care who is offended by how Africa conducts conservation practices. I care that many powerful people in the west interfere with it. We are so arrogant to get involved with the stuff we do.

When the Rwandan genocide was happening, the US government, after requested, declined to even fly a plane over the country to simply scramble the radio waves to help prevent a tiny portio of killing. We refused. But if it means we might save a named lion, or an elephant, we will jump in, make laws, and dive right in to that business. We are an effed up country.

7. Tokoloshe Safaris

Tokoloshe Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Safari International
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
    Ron Thompson was a great man who has "been there, done it". If you have not read his books your should. We are very fortunate to operate in the area that Ron Thompson was once responsible for. I sincerely hoping that we are taking care of it in a way that he would approve of.

It has been a long time since Ron left Zimbabwe and as much as I would like to say he would be amazed at how much destruction has taken place. I cannot, because he knows exactly what is happening on the ground.

In closing I say, read Rons books, about 8 or 10 I believe and join his True Green Alliance!

8. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    Ron is still a great man and i have joined.

9. Andrew Robbins

Andrew Robbins New Member

Hunted:
    South Africa
    The great injustice is depicting a man that is a trained ecologist and has spent the majority of his life working in conservation as an evil and ruthless animal killer when he probably has done more for animal conservation than Piers Morgan and his gang of snowflakes combined!

LivingTheDream likes this.

10. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

I was fortunate to have grown up in an are which you could walk out the back door and go hunting.

Unfortunately over the years the area has been over built and no more hunting. But this has not stopped deer from bumping ugly and making about a zillion new ones.

When I was a kid we had a giant vegetable garden,lawn and flower beds and God have mercy on any critter wanting to Stop for a meal.

My mother who is still alive, and about 100, had me get her a flat of pansies and I put them on the back porch.....two hours later they were chewed off to the dirt. Looking up and down the street there wasn't flowers anywhere....or young trees with leaves either......no veggie gardens either.

Too many houses.....too many deer.

And though I am by far no great white hunter, I have sent a few elephants to take a dirt nap..... Other " beloved by some" creatures as well who were not really as loveable or gentle as they might think they are, but rampaging beasts who couldn't give a fat babies ass about the humans around them.

My belief is that if these do holders really cared about the whole system......putting people on the top of the list where they belong...... Not animals.

I am a firm believer in trophy hunters and the good that they do for the almost non exsistant economy of many areas.

Let the trophy hinters pay a reasonable fee and take their trophy home to do with it what they please........ With all animals.

If the people who don't want hunting to take place they let them buy an area.....fence it in....and make Noah's Ark out of it if they please.

11. Kenneth McMillan

Kenneth McMillan AH Member

Member of:
    Safari Club International
    Hunted:
    Norway, Scotland
    I think Piers "I have to have the last word" Morgan needs to check his facts. African Elephant populations are increasing across Africa not declining. That's according to IUCN.

12. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    +1

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019

13. Saul

Saul AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    USA, England, Hungary, Argentina
    What a terrible way to conduct an interview. Piers had the opportunity to expose his audience to a different point of view from their own, an opportunity of which every journalist should take full advantage. Instead, he squandered it with petty bickering and rhetoric. He also could have taken the time to have a serious discussion about actual elephant populations and conservation efforts, or at least cited some of his sources.

I will say, though, that "I feel nothing" is not what most people want to hear about killing elephants. Whenever I take an animal's life, I do so with great sadness and respect for that animal. I have never had the opportunity to hunt elephant but I can imagine that these feelings would be even greater. Not ever hunter feels the same way but probably a lot of us do. I think that if Thomson had said something to this effect, it would have been a lot harder for Piers to attack him.

14. Pondoro

Pondoro AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
    Me, I think Thompson was just honest when he said "I feel nothing"..

I do not "feel" more myself when I shoot elephant than say a moose....I am more adrenaline filled...but I do not get more emotional..

Saul likes this.