AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
PA, OH, NM, ND, AL, FL, MD; Spain, EC/KZN/MP South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2, Mozambique, Cameroon
Anyone with experience using Reloader 17 with 300 gr bullets in the 375 H&H?

I’ll be using the 300 gr Peregrine mono-metal bullet. The long mono-metal bullets may create some volume/seating issues with some of the usual powders.

Using QuikLoad, one of the top powders is RL17 giving velocities above 2500fps at low pressure (48k).

My ultimate goal is to find a load that prints at or above Federal 300 gr Woodleigh Hydro factory loads that run 2500 fps for a hunt in October.

Appreciate your thoughts as the bullets arrive tomorrow and the brass is prepped and ready!

Please post your results. I am sorry but I have not strayed into Alliant territory. Although 2500 fps with a 300 seems standard. I imagine some of the extreme powder line from Hodgdon would meet or best that.

First attempt of a velocity ladder using RL17 was positive. 70 grains at 2500, up to 75 grains at 2635 fps. Shot multiple rounds around +/- a half grain of the 72 grain load and they printed approx. 1.3# centered around 2550fps. Loaded up 5 more rounds @ 72 grains to see if I can repeat the results and will update when I get back to the range.

I didn't see any pressure issues at 75 grains but those rounds printed much higher than the 2550fps rounds.

My wife picked me up a couple pounds of RL15 and I may shoot a velocity ladder test with them also as I'm limited by the number of range visits before I leave on 11 October back to Zim.

Sorry sir, but I cannot help with Peregrine nor RL-17, but...I would consider using load data from the Barnes website backing off a few grains. Again, they don’t show RL-17, but I load with RL-15 which they do show. I worked up to 74.0 grains, but in the hot summer my primers started cratering in my gun. I backed off to 72.0 which chronographed at 2,655fps (screaming!) and grouped :
CA3C706D-01A4-4FDA-BDEB-1BCC48623072.jpeg

This was good enough accuracy and velocity IMO.
Best of luck finding your chosen load! Sorry I’ve never used RL-17.

Edge, I use RL-15 and Barnes 300 grain bullets. Your load using Peregrines might be similar. Barnes goes up to 75.0 grains, but my primers started cratering at 74.0, so I backed down to 72.0. Accuracy was excellent! Velocity was 2,655 FPS (screaming!) If I do my part, this is consistent.
71418B8F-8E0B-49F9-A9C0-7BE1802E4823.jpeg

Hope this helps. Man am I jealous of your upcoming Zim trip!

Edge, I use RL-15 and Barnes 300 grain bullets. Your load using Peregrines might be similar. Barnes goes up to 75.0 grains, but my primers started cratering at 74.0, so I backed down to 72.0. Accuracy was excellent! Velocity was 2,655 FPS (screaming!) If I do my part, this is consistent.
View attachment 247752
Hope this helps. Man am I jealous of your upcoming Zim trip!

I plugged in the Barnes load data you referenced above into Quickload and the pressures are very very high. I believe RL 15 burn rate has varied some over time so I’m not saying your data with that lot of powder is unsafe. 2655 FPS is over 66k according to my QL run (using 300gr Peregrine). I have seen other posted data with RL15 in the 70-72 go range with various 300gr bullets. Nosler has RL15 @ 68gr max with 300gr.

I have a 9 shot string loaded in .5 grain increments from 66 to 70gr RL15, I’ll see if I can get velocity data with my Lot of RL15 and post the results. I don’t want a high pressure load, will be hunting in +90F temps in October.

The RL17 load @ 2550 FPS matches the QL predicted charges almost exactly and it’s only 52k psi, if it shoots MOA-ish I’ll call it good for October!

Thanks Edge for the QL info. It’s a bit shocking! I’ve read that RL-15 can vary from lot to lot, but that is bad news.
Almost all the Federal 300grain factory loads I’ve tested were close to 2,480fps. But the factory Barnes 300 load clocks at 2,529. I’ve been debating whether to back off until my handload is close to that and see how it groups. Your QL info makes me think even more about lowering my grains. Barnes factory 300gr TSX expanded like an advertisement last September on a buffalo.
Looking forward to your ladder test results.

Got a chance to hit the range this weekend.

3 shots with 300 gr Peregrine and 72.0 RL17.

58942B04-31F7-4B8C-A904-202A309BDA8C.jpeg

2 shots with Federal 300 gr Hydros

B29C2773-2E99-4A22-9277-3A2178BD74AA.jpeg

2 more shots with 300 Gr Peregrine with 72 RL17 (different size orange dots)

C8CD31E2-7FBF-4AAD-A8DF-E23FC13BA2CE.jpeg

Looks good to me, I’m guessing the horizontal spread is more me than the gun.

Edge

Last edited by a moderator:
More important, what are you heading back for/who with?

@Ridgewalker

I did a RL15 velocity ladder with the 300gr Peregrines. I took a picture of my log book before I left this morning on another business trip but I may have copied some numbers down wrong. Will need to go back and pull up the data out of the magnetospeed memory. Will post this weekend if I make it home as Florence is going to make a mess of the east coast later this week.

Thanks for the update Edge! It looks to me like you should stop your search if the chronograph meets your expectations. Looks excellent!
Did you change your scope settings for the bottom picture? If that one with Peregrines and the Hydros are hitting that close, it’s game on IMO!

We are all looking forward to your hunt, although I’m sure not as much as you! Man you’ve got a fine wife to let you go back so soon! One lucky guy!

Thanks for the update Edge! It looks to me like you should stop your search if the chronograph meets your expectations. Looks excellent!
Did you change your scope settings for the bottom picture? If that one with Peregrines and the Hydros are hitting that close, it’s game on IMO!

We are all looking forward to your hunt, although I’m sure not as much as you! Man you’ve got a fine wife to let you go back so soon! One lucky guy!

The Hydros and Peregrines in the last two photos were shot from the same position.

Less than 30 days until departure and yes, my wife is a wonderful lady and I owe her BIG TIME after 3 trips to Africa in 15 months!

Haha congrats! I though it might have been the case. I just got back from hunting near Marula with Wayne's outfit and we talked about it

Hope you connected!

The Hydros and Peregrines in the last two photos were shot from the same position.
PERFECT! Excellent job working up a load!

PERFECT! Excellent job working up a load!

Those were the Peregrine solids, I still need to verify the expanding version (Bushmaster) of the solids shoot the same.

RL15 velocity ladder test to find max pressure.

Privi Brass, Fed 215 LRM primers, 300 grain Peregrine copper solids (VRG-2), OAL 3.520 inches:

66.0 2516 ft/s
66.5 2514 ft/s
67.0 2527 ft/s
67.5 2528 ft/s
68.0 2592 ft/s (significant velocity jump with only .5 gr additional powder ?)
68.5 2562 ft/s (wondering if the 68.0 & 68.5 loads were shot out of order as the velocity is much lower)
69.0 2594 ft/s
69.5 2590 ft/s
70.0 2600 ft/s (adding additional powder but velocity is topped out, primers showing signs of pressure)

The target didn't make any sense as the shots were dispersed vertically but were mixed. Hmmm.

Went out yesterday and took one shot with the 300 gr Hydros and the shot was much lower than it should have been. Stopped shooting and checked out the rifle at home. I was able to turn the rear tang action screw more than half a turn before hitting 40 in lbs with torque wrench. Hoping I found the problem and the scope isn't acting up, a little blue Loctite on the action screws to keep things in order.

Back to the range again soon, will shoot 3 rounds of the RL15 at 67.3 grains as there seemed to be a node there as well as the RL17 load of 72 grains with the VRG-3 Bushmaster (expanding point).

Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg