Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Hi All,

There seems to be some people out there on the web looking for reloading data for this powder. So I took it upon myself to email Alliant, and it turns out that they actually HAVE done some testing with it in this caliber. I assume the data would also work for .375 Ruger, albeit, slightly lower pressure and velocity for the same bullet and powder weight. I started 10% under these charges and stopped short of them. There really is no need in the .375 to push it to it's max, but as you can see, the numbers are pretty good. Here it is, straight from the horses mouth:

Christopher,

Below is the load data that I have for the 375 H&H cartridge using Alliant Reloder 17 propellant:

Powder Bullet Brand Weight OAL Primer Brass Status Charge wt (gr) Velocity (ft/sec)

Reloder 17 Nosler 260gr Accubond3.580 215 Fed 81.5 2711
Reloder 17 Hornady 270gr JSP 3.580 215 Fed 85.0 2826
Reloder 17 Hornady 300gr JSP 3.580 215 Fed 81.8 2685
Reloder 17 Nosler 300gr Partition 3.560 215 Fed 83.0 2687

Hope this is of assistance.
Thanks,
Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID

I loaded up some 270 grain blems from Midway as well as 270 grain interlocks and 300 grain SGKs and my Chronograph showed astoundingly high velocity for the charges I put in. The Sierra Game King with 75.0 Grains of RL17 put out almost 2600fps so I stopped there even though the primers were barely flattened and there were no signs of pressure at all. I don't need a 300 grainer going faster than that. I pushed the 270, starting at 72 grains all the up to 80. The last few loads had substantially more recoil and when I chronographed them they were running about 2780fps from a winchester Model 70 with a 24" barrel.

Just thought I would pass this along for those interested in this powder. The groups I shot measured on average, about 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" at 100 yards. That is plenty good for anything I plan to hunting with it. I use strictly Alliant powders because they are mostly available where I live, they are great, and $3 or $4 cheaper per pound than Hodgdon and significantly cheaper than Vihtavuori powder. Hope someone finds this helpful!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Information like this will no doubt help someone or at least get their attention.

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Altho I'm happy with the performance that 77gs of Win760 gets me with the 300g bullets, with the addition of a 404 to my collection I'm backing down my 375 to 260s so this is welcome information, Thanks

Desert Dog

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Good info. Thats what I was using for my 270 grainers before moving down to the 250gr TTSX and finding H4895.

This is sure to give people a good starting point for their own loads with R17. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarquisWel

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?