Rigby / Holland & Holland / Westley Richards

I’d have Joel Dorleac build my custom rifle any day. Even the finest London gunmakers outsource many elements, action, bluing, engraving, etc. Only WR really does most things in-house. I entirely believe WR is now without hesitation ‘the’ only true fine gunmaker in the UK

The thing I like about Belgian best-grade guns is similar to American bests. We were not the kingpins that set the standards of excellence in style when these guns were made. As such, both American and Beligan aesthetic was catering to the English styling until they both evolved slightly on their own based from that basis.

Put another way, Belgian guns look British and avoid the typically gaudy and ostentatious look of some germanic weapons. Rose & Scroll, Acanthus leaf, vines, foliate, dollar bill, green knight, fleur-de-lis, whatever the styles they are all very understated and dignified, even if slightly louder than a British best gun.

I'd take it any day of the week over the proverbial zoo of dogs and stags and grouse and acorns adorning most german guns, or ducks and pheasants shaped like bowling pins on the Spanish weapons. Just a preference.

I’d have Joel Dorleac build my custom rifle any day. Even the finest London gunmakers outsource many elements, action, bluing, engraving, etc. Only WR really does most things in-house. I entirely believe WR is now without hesitation ‘the’ only true fine gunmaker in the UK

Hi Fiocci,

The LAST part of your statement in regards to Westley Richards is what I believe as well. I wholeheartedly admit that I am biased in favor of Westley Richards but that bias is, for me, a well earned one. WR Is the only English Rifle Maker that only builds to order and only builds Bespoke Rifles, and shotguns of course. They are also the only maker that has not been sold out (some on numerous occasions) to another corporation. ALL the the other English makers build for the rack so to speak and even fewer do real commissions In-House. WR does not build for the rack at all, and It will also take you a 5 year wait minimum to have a Rifle made currently. I have actually been to the WR factory, spent the whole day there. also went through the AMAZING Leather department!! (Bespoke as well, and will make anything one could want) What I saw was that everything is done In-house. Of course some items might be sourced, but from what I saw very little, if any , depending on the needs of the commission. There is another building next to the WR factory that is seriously capable of producing any and ALL parts needed if they want too, including one of a kind items as needed. In my opinion WR produces the finest rifles available. I agree that they are the only true Bespoke Maker left in England . But again I am biased and everyone will have their own view of the matter and spend their resources accordingly. I for one have made my choice.

JPetroni

1653359344063.png

here's a typical entry grade new manufactured 375 by rigby sans any engraving I think its a safe bet for along term rifle , while not fond ofnthe look of the scope system I know it works , maybe order 1 withoutvthe front square bridge and have rigby put on there English H&H style mount , maybe stain the stock a bit darker and you will have a known brand name that won't depreciate as much as a 1 off custom build

Last edited:
I do not consider my guns an "investment" except in the sense that they are an investment in my personal pleasure in using them. I am mainly a bird hunter and enjoy fine shotguns, but I have hunted bigger game since I was a boy - a long time ago. Regardless, whether it is a side X side English SLE classic or a center-fire Mauser or Model 70 by a current maker, they are all a pleasure to own and shoot.

I always buy the best guns I can afford and never look back. My heirs can worry about the market value of my guns.

One thing to consider is that Rigby, for all purposes, is a brand new company after the trademark was left available in the UK and was snapped up by the current owners. H&H and Wesley Richards have been around as a contiguous company much longer. Rigby still makes bespoke rifles but they are not the Rigby of old.

Had this talked about on other threads....Marc started working for Paul when he owned rigby...learned a lot from him....also John rigby great (not sure how many greats) granddaughter works there making the rising bite double....Holland were owned by various companies including the chanel lot...before being bought by beretta....Westley owned by the clode family who's base is engineering from memory...could be wrong...so none are really original .....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg