Rifles you will NEVER sell

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
This is a fun topic. I'm always collecting, improving, and upgrading my fine guns. But very little of what I own is "Sacred", ironically the most valuable pieces are probably less sacred.

My son has a custom 7x64 brenneke mauser we improved together. He's used it since his 7th birthday and he's taken two record book animals with it already in his tender years. Its not for sale. He's had such tremendous luck with it and his competence with it has grown so much I think the term "beware a hunter with only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it" comes to mind.

I also have my original Marlin model 60 I got as a young kid, my first firearm, a lowly .22lr. Its worth nearly nothing, yet its not for sale.

I have a 375HH that has served me well over the years and is smooth as butter. I'm unlikely to sell it, but if the right offer came along I just might even though its an incredible weapon, only so I can buy a larger caliber of equal quality. It would take a full retail offer to sell it.

Last but not least, I have my lowest quality shotgun remaining from my former collection of best guns. It's a Spanish SxS made by Grulla as a two barrel set. It fits me. I've probably taken 10,000 head of quarry with it and probably shot 250,000 shells through it. I've restored it once already. It's not worth much but it has definitely served me very well and I don't lose sleep when I shoot it in the pouring rain. It's not an irreplaceable, unrestored Purdy or Dickson, it's a Spanish best gun made in the 1990s...that's not saying a lot. Not for sale.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Pre 64 Mod 70 in 264 WM (named "Betty")
Pre 64 Mod 70 in 300 H&H
Pre 64 Mod 70 in 375 H&H (named "Susie")
Dad gave me the 264 when I graduated High School A LONG TIME AGO. Barrel finally went south so it now has a new barrel and shoots where I point it. Just shot a Rcky Mtn Bighorn with it a couple of weeks ago.
I found the 300 and 375 about 15 yrs ago at an estate sale. Both were nearly new condition with only the common "storage" type of blemishes. They have replaced a Classic Mod 70 in 300 WM and a Ruger MkII in 416 Rigby as my favorites. Took the 300 to RSA last year and "1 shot" everything except a Hartebeast at a little over 400 yds. That one took 2. The 375 as been to CAR twice (buffalo and eland + lots of little ones) Uganda once (buffalo, Kob and little ones) and Australia once (buffalo and scrub bull).

Pancho, I love the pre-64 names. A friend of mine has a .243 varmint with the 26" heavy barrel I found for him a few years ago. Her name is Lucielle.

My kid's Mauser has a name too, I just can't remember it right now. Jenny?

Something as loyal and reliable as a mauser or pre-64 mod 70 deserves a name. There are many like them, but yours is special.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
It's funny to look back at a thread that you posted on...
One thing I have learned is "never say never".

I'd be very unlikely to sell:
CZ550 375H&H - unless something more reliable comes along.
Springfield Armory XD-M9 w/ reflex optic - unless something more handy comes along.
Beretta O/U 686's 12 & 20 gauges - unless something more versatile comes along.
So the CZ550 375H&H is gone...replaced by the Blaser PH R8.
I consider it an upgrade with multiple caliber options.
Still have the pistol and shotguns...at least for now. ;)
Never say never.

WebleyGreene455

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
"This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine." My built-up M14 clone, a college graduation present from my folks and the first "custom" rifle I ever owned. If I can help it, it's gonna be mine 'til the day I die.
thumbnail_KIMG0708.jpg

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
My Ruger No1 Tropical 375H&H. Nobody would pay any more than going price for it, but that rifle has already taken impala, eland (previous owner), zebra, warthog, sable, buffalo. It is just right.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Guys, believe it or not, I never sold a rifle!
The drawback is that I just keep buying additional safes for storage!

The rest is your imagination!

PS in order to maintain inventory within reasonable limits, I buy only after a year or more of very deep and careful consideration, do I really need it? I dont buy on impulse. Smart buying observed.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
1. Winchester lever .22 I got handed down from my older brother.
2. .375 Ruger that I shot my lion with
3. Great grandfathers revolver with his initials scratched into it. 1800’s
4. Grandfathers .30-30 that his father bought for him along with 1000 rounds of ammo in case Pancho Villa raided our area. He also bought the same for his twin brother.
5. Late brothers M1 Garand that we used to shoot off his deck at gongs.

BigSteve57

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
That's an easy one. It's my Browning Auto 5 which was a wedding gift to me from my wife and my father-in-law's 1917 Eddystone bought bron his estate and which was the first rifle I ever shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForestLarg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards