Rifles you will NEVER sell

This is a fun topic. I'm always collecting, improving, and upgrading my fine guns. But very little of what I own is "Sacred", ironically the most valuable pieces are probably less sacred.

My son has a custom 7x64 brenneke mauser we improved together. He's used it since his 7th birthday and he's taken two record book animals with it already in his tender years. Its not for sale. He's had such tremendous luck with it and his competence with it has grown so much I think the term "beware a hunter with only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it" comes to mind.

I also have my original Marlin model 60 I got as a young kid, my first firearm, a lowly .22lr. Its worth nearly nothing, yet its not for sale.

I have a 375HH that has served me well over the years and is smooth as butter. I'm unlikely to sell it, but if the right offer came along I just might even though its an incredible weapon, only so I can buy a larger caliber of equal quality. It would take a full retail offer to sell it.

Last but not least, I have my lowest quality shotgun remaining from my former collection of best guns. It's a Spanish SxS made by Grulla as a two barrel set. It fits me. I've probably taken 10,000 head of quarry with it and probably shot 250,000 shells through it. I've restored it once already. It's not worth much but it has definitely served me very well and I don't lose sleep when I shoot it in the pouring rain. It's not an irreplaceable, unrestored Purdy or Dickson, it's a Spanish best gun made in the 1990s...that's not saying a lot. Not for sale.

Pre 64 Mod 70 in 264 WM (named "Betty")
Pre 64 Mod 70 in 300 H&H
Pre 64 Mod 70 in 375 H&H (named "Susie")
Dad gave me the 264 when I graduated High School A LONG TIME AGO. Barrel finally went south so it now has a new barrel and shoots where I point it. Just shot a Rcky Mtn Bighorn with it a couple of weeks ago.
I found the 300 and 375 about 15 yrs ago at an estate sale. Both were nearly new condition with only the common "storage" type of blemishes. They have replaced a Classic Mod 70 in 300 WM and a Ruger MkII in 416 Rigby as my favorites. Took the 300 to RSA last year and "1 shot" everything except a Hartebeast at a little over 400 yds. That one took 2. The 375 as been to CAR twice (buffalo and eland + lots of little ones) Uganda once (buffalo, Kob and little ones) and Australia once (buffalo and scrub bull).

Pancho, I love the pre-64 names. A friend of mine has a .243 varmint with the 26" heavy barrel I found for him a few years ago. Her name is Lucielle.

My kid's Mauser has a name too, I just can't remember it right now. Jenny?

Something as loyal and reliable as a mauser or pre-64 mod 70 deserves a name. There are many like them, but yours is special.

It's funny to look back at a thread that you posted on...
One thing I have learned is "never say never".

I'd be very unlikely to sell:
CZ550 375H&H - unless something more reliable comes along.
Springfield Armory XD-M9 w/ reflex optic - unless something more handy comes along.
Beretta O/U 686's 12 & 20 gauges - unless something more versatile comes along.
So the CZ550 375H&H is gone...replaced by the Blaser PH R8.
I consider it an upgrade with multiple caliber options.
Still have the pistol and shotguns...at least for now. ;)
Never say never.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine." My built-up M14 clone, a college graduation present from my folks and the first "custom" rifle I ever owned. If I can help it, it's gonna be mine 'til the day I die.
thumbnail_KIMG0708.jpg

My Ruger No1 Tropical 375H&H. Nobody would pay any more than going price for it, but that rifle has already taken impala, eland (previous owner), zebra, warthog, sable, buffalo. It is just right.

Guys, believe it or not, I never sold a rifle!
The drawback is that I just keep buying additional safes for storage!

The rest is your imagination!

PS in order to maintain inventory within reasonable limits, I buy only after a year or more of very deep and careful consideration, do I really need it? I dont buy on impulse. Smart buying observed.

1. Winchester lever .22 I got handed down from my older brother.
2. .375 Ruger that I shot my lion with
3. Great grandfathers revolver with his initials scratched into it. 1800’s
4. Grandfathers .30-30 that his father bought for him along with 1000 rounds of ammo in case Pancho Villa raided our area. He also bought the same for his twin brother.
5. Late brothers M1 Garand that we used to shoot off his deck at gongs.

That's an easy one. It's my Browning Auto 5 which was a wedding gift to me from my wife and my father-in-law's 1917 Eddystone bought bron his estate and which was the first rifle I ever shot.

#1 is a 100% unaltered 1903 Springfield sn# 879,### with a SPL cartouche!

#2 is a 100% unaltered 1903 Springfield made in 1926

#3 is a 1970 Browning BAR my wife surprised me with a Christmas present!

As many on this thread have indicated, I'm not sure I'd be willing to sell any of the rifles from my collection. None are of exceptional value or quality, yet, I have emotional attachments to many in the safes. It might be a particular whitetail buck I took with a rifle or one acquired from a friend or family member, but, each is special to me for some reason.

For instance, after passing away, my friend's wife wanted me to have his Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H. I'm not sure the rifle was ever fired, but for years, my buddy wanted to "loan" it to me for an African adventure. That didn't happen as we couldn't figure a way for me to bring it back to the States from Canada. Eventually, a way was found and the rifle now has a special place in my home with a promise that someday it will see Africa. This past weekend, my brother and I installed a new Timney trigger in it to replace the heavy factory trigger it came with when built years ago. Even though I have other 375s, how could I possibly sell something that brings back such great memories?

The same could be said for many other guns in the safes. Ones my grandfathers or dad used to hunt are special. While maybe not viewed as valuable on the market, the value they bring when I handle them is priceless. These rifles provide me with a connection to my family I'm not sure can be achieved in other ways.

A few have mentioned their first "purchased" rifle and the effort it took to earn the money. I, too, can remember saving up for my first firearm purchase. It was a Remington Model 700 in 270. I was moving up from the pump Rem 760 my grand pap gave me to a bolt action like my dad and uncles hunted with each deer season. While I haven't hunted with it for a number of years, one of these days I will.

Since that first purchase, quite a few rifles have joined that Model 700 in the vault. Lots of different calibers, makes, and models sit idly in the safes waiting to be taken to the range or woods. For many of them, I carried the rifle in the woods until it accounted for a whitetail buck. Then it got moved aside with something else taking its place. The funny thing is I can more than likely tell you what buck I shot and where it was taken for each of the many rifles in the safes.

While I realize a rifle is nothing more than a tool, I'm glad I see them the way I do. I don't have a favorite but there may be a few that tend to see more use than the others. That's ok. I'm happy to have what I have.

With that said, I don't recommend others follow my lead. Instead, I'd recommend figure out a "needs" list and work toward acquiring the best in each category. In my mind, everyone should have a good "plinker" like a 22, a "deer rifle" in 270/30-06, a "magnum" such a a 7mm mag or 300 win mag, and a "big gun" in 375+ if dangerous game is to be considered. Then add in a couple shotguns given the game pursued. New purchases would replace rather than add to the collection. Had I done that, I may have considerably fewer rifles of a much higher quality. I suppose the same could be said for optics. Several on here have indicated doing that with each new purchase/trade yielding a higher quality rifle.

As with many things in life, to each their own. Whatever you choose to put in the safe is your call. It may be a few or an arsenal, the point is do what brings you enjoyment. Buy, sell, trade to meet your needs. At this point in my life, I'm trying to refrain from adding to the collection. I doubt I'll be all that successful as I think I need to add something to the safe that starts with a 4. Why? Not sure, but who knows, maybe someday I'll have a need.

As many on this thread have indicated, I'm not sure I'd be willing to sell any of the rifles from my collection. None are of exceptional value or quality, yet, I have emotional attachments to many in the safes. It might be a particular whitetail buck I took with a rifle or one acquired from a friend or family member, but, each is special to me for some reason.

For instance, after passing away, my friend's wife wanted me to have his Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H. I'm not sure the rifle was ever fired, but for years, my buddy wanted to "loan" it to me for an African adventure. That didn't happen as we couldn't figure a way for me to bring it back to the States from Canada. Eventually, a way was found and the rifle now has a special place in my home with a promise that someday it will see Africa. This past weekend, my brother and I installed a new Timney trigger in it to replace the heavy factory trigger it came with when built years ago. Even though I have other 375s, how could I possibly sell something that brings back such great memories?

The same could be said for many other guns in the safes. Ones my grandfathers or dad used to hunt are special. While maybe not viewed as valuable on the market, the value they bring when I handle them is priceless. These rifles provide me with a connection to my family I'm not sure can be achieved in other ways.

A few have mentioned their first "purchased" rifle and the effort it took to earn the money. I, too, can remember saving up for my first firearm purchase. It was a Remington Model 700 in 270. I was moving up from the pump Rem 760 my grand pap gave me to a bolt action like my dad and uncles hunted with each deer season. While I haven't hunted with it for a number of years, one of these days I will.

Since that first purchase, quite a few rifles have joined that Model 700 in the vault. Lots of different calibers, makes, and models sit idly in the safes waiting to be taken to the range or woods. For many of them, I carried the rifle in the woods until it accounted for a whitetail buck. Then it got moved aside with something else taking its place. The funny thing is I can more than likely tell you what buck I shot and where it was taken for each of the many rifles in the safes.

While I realize a rifle is nothing more than a tool, I'm glad I see them the way I do. I don't have a favorite but there may be a few that tend to see more use than the others. That's ok. I'm happy to have what I have.

With that said, I don't recommend others follow my lead. Instead, I'd recommend figure out a "needs" list and work toward acquiring the best in each category. In my mind, everyone should have a good "plinker" like a 22, a "deer rifle" in 270/30-06, a "magnum" such a a 7mm mag or 300 win mag, and a "big gun" in 375+ if dangerous game is to be considered. Then add in a couple shotguns given the game pursued. New purchases would replace rather than add to the collection. Had I done that, I may have considerably fewer rifles of a much higher quality. I suppose the same could be said for optics. Several on here have indicated doing that with each new purchase/trade yielding a higher quality rifle.

As with many things in life, to each their own. Whatever you choose to put in the safe is your call. It may be a few or an arsenal, the point is do what brings you enjoyment. Buy, sell, trade to meet your needs. At this point in my life, I'm trying to refrain from adding to the collection. I doubt I'll be all that successful as I think I need to add something to the safe that starts with a 4. Why? Not sure, but who knows, maybe someday I'll have a need.

Your friend just sat up in his grave upon learning you put a Timney in his Model 70

Reactions: WAB
08EB6753-30C0-4EB3-A358-0451D5D20519.jpeg

It's a 1943 Mauser Oberndorf Sporting Rifle Type M, originally in 7X57S, rebarrelled in 6.5X55 during restoration. Double set trigger breaks at about a pound. When I got it, it was mostly dry rot and rust.

Wow!!! You did a magnificent restoration job on that rifle. How does it shoot?

Wow!!! You did a magnificent restoration job on that rifle. How does it shoot?
Pretty good, not a super accurate rifle. I’ve since decided I don’t want to bang around woods and swamp with it, so it hangs on the wall like the work of art it is.

An FN commercial Mauser in 30-06 built by P.O. Ackley.

A Remington Model 30 Express in .358 Norma Magnum built by Mark Chanlynn.

A German Mauser in 8mm-06. Rechambered military barrel in a super lightweight stock; raised panels and a schnabel tip. Double set triggers. I had read about soldiers bringing back 8x57 Mausers and rechambering to 8mm-06. I had wanted one like this for a long time and it practically fell into my lap.
After having some serious seller’s remorse about an old FN single shot Mauser bench gun, I will never sell another rifle. None of my rifles are expensive. Some are super cheap; rifles bought to take apart for a custom build. But I will never sell any of them.

The custom 30-40 Krag hunting rifle I inherited from my Grandfather (through an uncle) over 12-years ago.

photo.JPG

I could never find out who did the custom work, or where or when Gramps bought it. Everyone who might know has passed on. Maybe it's a Sedgely imitator, due to it being unmarked as to maker, other than the Springfield Armory stamp and serial #.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Iron sights only and it still shoots great too. It goes to deer camp with me every fall.

Last edited:
Well I can certainly understand why you guys all have a passion for certain rifles! Very interesting read!
Sadly I have little passion for tools. I have owned and still own some (what I consider) fine guns, but not passionate about any. I have already passed on some such as an early 1900 Win Mdl 12 my dad inherited at 14. My nephew, dad’s namesake has now received it for a 4th generation inheritance. He also has now received a 1950 Elsie (I hated carrying that heavy thing in the field) and 1950 Win Mdl 70 30-06 I passed on that an old uncle left me.
My tools come and go. Always testing and experimenting with a new (to me anyway) tool of the hunting trade.
Not a very romantic nor passionate old fart I guess. Wifey would probably agree! :cry:

Winchester Model 121D (22LR)- one of the first rifles my father bought me.

Sauer 202LH Elegance 30/06- I found this excellent gun in a small mom and pop gun shop and paid only $700 for it.

Remington Model 660 350 Rem Mag- This rifle was given to me buy one of my BIL’s.

As long as I can own guns I'm not selling my FNH Commercial 98 in 9.3x62. It has the tendency that I look at something and I hit it...

Reactions: CJW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongduongcomvn

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois